www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old November 5th, 2010, 16:52   #1
Victor-Whiskey

Default louder than normal diesel clatter

This afternoon I noticed on light acceleration, the diesel clatter was louder and higher pitch from idle to ~2k. It also seems to come and go. My searches seemed to only lead to a hesitation issue; there is no noticeable hesitation. On moderate to hard acceleration, it doesn't do it. I only have 2300 mi, Any ideas? It is definitely a new noise. edit: only does it when in gear
Ran VCDS and no unusual codes.

2006 Saab 92x Aero Cobb Stage 2
2009 E320 BLUETEC (wifes)
2001 F150 XLT Supercab
1994 Beechcraft Bonanza (for sale)

Last edited by Victor-Whiskey; November 5th, 2010 at 22:27.
Victor-Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 20:41   #2
crashtested
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ---->

Drive more, worry less.

About to turn 15,000km and I still hear it from time to time under the same conditions. Light engine load means more play = more chatter.

Ballermobile - 2004 Jetta GLS TDI
crashtested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 21:26   #3
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtested View Post
Drive more, worry less.

About to turn 15,000km and I still hear it from time to time under the same conditions. Light engine load means more play = more chatter.
There is no play in the valve train (hydraulic lifters). Diesel clatter is a fueling issue.
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, Opera Red Metallic, Cornsilk interior
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 22:24   #4
Victor-Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
There is no play in the valve train (hydraulic lifters). Diesel clatter is a fueling issue.
I guess I need to do a VCDS log. I just got back from an errand and it was doing it consistently. (just need to learn to log ) I'm 400 mi into this tank of gas and the clatter just started. It's much like knocking in a gas engine but just at low rpm and doesn't happen when in park. Every tank since whatever the dealer uses has been Chevron with 1qt Hyperfuels B100 for a ~B2 equivalent.
I hate to have to take a 2mo old car to the dealer, again. Starting to get buyers remorse...

2001 F150 XLT Supercab

Last edited by Victor-Whiskey; November 5th, 2010 at 22:42.
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:54   #5
Timujin

When my car's DSG is in "D" it clatters off of idle when driving slowly such as when driving in paking lots on and off the throttle. It almost feels like it's not sure if it wants to fully engage the clutch and/or use 1st or 2nd gear. However, if I shift into "S" the clatter goes away and clutch engagement is much faster. FWIW my car's engine does clatter when cold regardless of the DSG selection.
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:54   #6
glennco
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW DSG

Under light load in D, our DSG can do this also. I must admit it hasn't clattered nearly as often since our car has been broken in a bit more.

I believe the issue is that if you are really easy on the go peddle, the DSG will shift at 1200 rpms, which I have read on these forums is too low for smooth operation.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:13   #7
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
FWIW my car's engine does clatter when cold regardless of the DSG selection.
My car can clatter when its cold and under the same conditions the OP describes although he/she does not describe the temperature of the motor.

I believe this clatter is the result of the motor breaking in and developing more compression.

That being said, if the clatter happens when the motor is warm, I could start to suspect the quality of the fuel. Try fueling somewhere else or adding an additive. If the problem persists after fueling from a trusted source (additives or not), I would have it checked out at the dealership.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:43   #8
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

As your engine beaks in, it will get a little louder. Nothing to worry about. That's right about the point I started noticing that on my car.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:08   #9
jbright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcad90 View Post
As your engine beaks in, it will get a little louder. Nothing to worry about. That's right about the point I started noticing that on my car.
That's good to know. Mine has been running a bit louder lately, especially at start up, more 'ticking' like a valve noise. It goes away, though, when the engine warms up. I'm one of those people who listens to every little sound my cars make (car hypochondriac), but I haven't owned a diesel in many years. I was at the dealership the other day and I almost had them hook my car up and test the engine.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:17   #10
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

While the CR engine is much quieter than previous generation, it's still a Diesel.

At 40k miles my '09 would clatter a little at low RPMs 1000-1400 while accelerating lighly.

As crashtested: Fahren mehr, sorge weniger.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:33   #11
meowguy
Veteran Member

I have occasional clatter in mine. Usually first thing in the morning going up a hill. I use "tip" mode on the DSG and stay in 3rd. It usually goes away in a few minutes. It has done this since day one and has nothing to do with additives, fuel type, oil used, or break-in in my opinion. It is just characteristic in moderation.
Old November 7th, 2010, 17:04   #12
Victor-Whiskey

I did just start averaging 40 mpg with no driving habit changes, so maybe it is just "loosening up."

2001 F150 XLT Supercab

Last edited by Victor-Whiskey; November 7th, 2010 at 17:06.
Old November 7th, 2010, 17:27   #13
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-Whiskey View Post
I did just start averaging 40 mpg with no driving habit changes, so maybe it is just "loosening up."
With such low mileage, it was probably just the characteristics of the tank/trip.

You will see occasional spikes but you won't start to see any real improvement until 10k or so.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:48   #14
dpg
Veteran Member

I'll get clatter at a certain rpm range at a certain load. never worried about it and im at 12k miles

dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:36   #15
Biffster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-Whiskey View Post
I hate to have to take a 2mo old car to the dealer, again. Starting to get buyers remorse...
Welcome to the club!

Your remorse is irrelevant. You'll take it, like it, and ask for more later.

Resistance is futile.