www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 5th, 2010, 12:24   #1
TDIGolf02

TDI(s): 02 Golf GL
Default Driver side seatbelt switch?

I have a golf 02, 2-door, folding seats. My airbag light is on. One of the guys scanned vehicle with VAG-com, got code: Driver side seatbelt switch. Which switch is it?

Last edited by TDIGolf02; November 5th, 2010 at 12:31.
TDIGolf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 20:33   #2
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

It would help to have the code number that was pulled up but I am guessing it is the switch for the seatbelt then. There is a plug that attaches the seat belt latch to the cars wiring harness. Unplug and replug it and then clear and rescan for codes. Most of the airbag codes are just from a bad connection at a plug. You just say where the code is coming from but what the whole thing said would help as it could be describing the bad connection like resistance to high (plug issue). Hope that helps you. Good news is depending on how you are getting it scanned the fix should be free. Copy the scan fault readout and post on here and we can help a lot more.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 22:00   #3
TDIGolf02

I adjusted the latch connections today and will have it scanned again tomorrow. Once that's done, I will ask the guy to print it out. Thanks!
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:11   #4
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

E24 is the driver's side latch that you plug your seat belt into. It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit. This is a dealer only parts and IIRC it was about $175. Installing it is pretty easy: take out the seat, unbolt the seat belt latch (IIRC 8 mm 12 point required), reassemble.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:39   #5
kiva822
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
E24 is the driver's side latch that you plug your seat belt into. It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit. This is a dealer only parts and IIRC it was about $175. Installing it is pretty easy: take out the seat, unbolt the seat belt latch (IIRC 8 mm 12 point required), reassemble.
just did this last night. Fixed my airbag light. Post the entire VCDS error code to be sure. I got mine for about $100 from Bora Parts, but that was for the 03 Jetta. I'm not convinced it was the right part yet, as I think my seat belt chime is gone. Perhaps there's another one with a different sensor that is more expensive.

Yes, 8mm triple square bit. $4.50 @ Napa.

matt

Bola: 03 Wagon, RC2
03 Golf: Whitbread/RyanP GTB2056vk 2.5" Turboback EJ SMIC PD150 Intake & Tip 764's 11mm Peloquin w/ 3.14 R&P Eibach Pro System 20AE/Audi TT Brakes VWMikeL Tune

Disclaimer: all advice worth price charged
kiva822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 13:06   #6
TDIGolf02

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
It would help to have the code number that was pulled up but I am guessing it is the switch for the seatbelt then. There is a plug that attaches the seat belt latch to the cars wiring harness. Unplug and replug it and then clear and rescan for codes. Most of the airbag codes are just from a bad connection at a plug. You just say where the code is coming from but what the whole thing said would help as it could be describing the bad connection like resistance to high (plug issue). Hope that helps you. Good news is depending on how you are getting it scanned the fix should be free. Copy the scan fault readout and post on here and we can help a lot more.
I got the golf scanned again. The guy's printer didn't work, but here is what I wrote down:

00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Driver (E24)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

Can I temporary disable the switch and delete the code so light would shut off? Or, can the current one be fixed?
Old November 6th, 2010, 13:15   #7
kiva822
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIGolf02 View Post
I got the golf scanned again. The guy's printer didn't work, but here is what I wrote down:
00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Driver (E24)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
Can I temporary disable the switch and delete the code so light would shut off? Or, can the current one be fixed?
I believe that is the exact code message I got. As others have stated, unplug and replug the seat buckle plug under the seat where all the airbag connectors are, clear the code, then see if that fixes it. If it comes back, replace the buckle (female end). They are VIN specific. Very easy fix (I did it in an hour and a half. Somebody with actual skills could do it in 30min).

Also, do a search for 0591 and you'll get some info.

03 Golf: Whitbread/RyanP GTB2056vk 2.5" Turboback EJ SMIC PD150 Intake & Tip 764's 11mm Peloquin w/ 3.14 R&P Eibach Pro System 20AE/Audi TT Brakes VWMikeL Tune

Last edited by kiva822; November 6th, 2010 at 13:19.
Old November 6th, 2010, 15:11   #8
TDIGolf02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva822 View Post
I believe that is the exact code message I got. As others have stated, unplug and replug the seat buckle plug under the seat where all the airbag connectors are, clear the code, then see if that fixes it. If it comes back, replace the buckle (female end). They are VIN specific. Very easy fix (I did it in an hour and a half. Somebody with actual skills could do it in 30min).

Also, do a search for 0591 and you'll get some info.
I unplugged and replugged several times, reset the code and the light comes back on in about 5 seconds. I even took the latch apart. First time I reset the light, it came back on in about 2 minutes...but now as I mentioned, it comes back on in about 5 seconds. I may try to inspect the wires/connectors. Then if doesn't work, will replace it. Thanks!
Old November 6th, 2010, 15:21   #9
P2B
Veteran Member

It's quite common for the wires to break right where they exit the latch casing. Repair is a fiddly job with a soldering iron and heatshrink tubing, but better than paying $100+ for a new one.

Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 300K
RIP : 2002 Blue Jetta TDI GLS PART OUT IN PROGRESS, PM FOR PARTS AVAILABILITY
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 15:41   #10
kiva822
Veteran Member

I know oldpoopie advised in a previous thread that it is not a serviceable item. Just replace it.

What color is your interior? If I can't return the one I bought, I may be selling it. Also, look on the plastic part of the buckle for a part number. It may be there.

Old November 6th, 2010, 15:50   #11
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know oldpoopie advised in a previous thread that it is not a serviceable item. Just replace it.
I've fixed several.

Quote:
What color is your interior? If I can't return the one I bought, I may be selling it. Also, look on the plastic part of the buckle for a part number. It may be there.
You can swap the casing to match interior color.

Simon
Old November 6th, 2010, 16:00   #12
kiva822
Veteran Member

I have one here that I wouldn't mind trying to repair. What's the trick to taking it apart? I don't see any frayed wires coming out the bottom.

Quote:
It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit.
I believe the above quoted item is what needs repairing?

matt

Old November 6th, 2010, 19:01   #13
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have one here that I wouldn't mind trying to repair. What's the trick to taking it apart? I don't see any frayed wires coming out the bottom.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but there are two posts in each casing half about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, which snap into each other. They will usually release without damage to the case if you gently pry the halves apart with a couple of broad blades, one from each side. The broken wire isn't usually obvious because it's typically right where the wires pass through the bottom of the case. Often the case won't snap back together afterward and has to be glued - I suppose that's why some would consider it a non-repairable item.

Quote:
Quote:
It apparently has two variable resistors that have to match within a close tolerance or the airbag CEL is lit.
I believe the above quoted item is what needs repairing?

matt
It's a microswitch which tells the air bag module whether the seat belt is latched or not. The switch has normally open and normally closed contacts, and the module considers both open or both closed at the same time to be an error condition.

Simon