www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old November 4th, 2010, 10:11   #1
funboi

Default when should I use "sports" mode?

hi,

does anyone know when I should be using "sports" mode?
funboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 13:15   #2
shoE30

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Whenever you want is the short answer. My wife is the primary driver of our JSW. When I actually get to drive it I'll usually use sport mode for the following 2 reasons. 1.) If I'm in traffic and moving slowly (~10-20mph). It bothers me that the transmission is constantly trying to run in 6th gear at that slow a speed. I keep it in sport so it holds a lower gear. It also allows the car to respond more quickly if i need to get moving...right now (e.g. so i don't have to wait fo the computer to decide what gear it should really be in).
2.) If I'm driving on a mountain road and I want some engine braking. Also it holds a gear longer so there's less shifting between the turns.
shoE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 20:58   #3
tedkidd

TDI(s): 11 JSW

And during break in.
Old November 4th, 2010, 21:40   #4
Timujin

Default Also...

When warming the engine, in parking lots, when in uphill traffic, to burn ash in the DPF and/or if you get the flashing DPF light.
Old November 4th, 2010, 22:22   #5
TDIinMA
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.4

On my B6 I never use this mode and find that the normal drive mode is better because it learns your driving habits and adjusts. I find the excessive RPMs of the "S" mode to be annoying, and I drive pretty aggressively. The manual mode can be helpful in bad weather though.
TDIinMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:12   #6
sfpegasus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
hi,

does anyone know when I should be using "sports" mode?

Why, when you're feelin' sporty, of course!
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:40   #7
Biffster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIinMA View Post
On my B6 I never use this mode and find that the normal drive mode is better because it learns your driving habits and adjusts. I find the excessive RPMs of the "S" mode to be annoying, and I drive pretty aggressively. The manual mode can be helpful in bad weather though.
I don't know about your B6, but VW has publicly stated, and documented, that the 2010/2011 DSG is not adaptive and does not "learn."

I'm sure someone here has the relevant link(s).

Sport mode is great for warming the engine more quickly (I always run the car in "S" mode until full operating temp is reached) which is better for the engine, and it's also great for the random "Italian Tune-up" when I want to keep the revs up to clean and exercise the turbo.

Ironically, "S" mode shifts much more smoothly on my DSG than does the normal "D" mode. "D" mode shift harshly on mine, often SLAMMING into gear, which does not happen in "S".
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:20   #8
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIinMA View Post
How do you drive aggressively without using higher RPMs?
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:07   #9
jimlockey
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 mpg

I have used the sports mode several times in the mountains. My 02, 05 and now my 09.
2000 Ford 350 diesel
jimlockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:38   #10
l3it3r
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-55 MPG daily

I use Sport every day. Only at certain parts of my trip though. It seems to do better on MPGs in the mountains than drive does.
l3it3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 15:33   #11
funboi

How do you know if full operating temperature has reached? is there a symbol on the dash somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
I don't know about your B6, but VW has publicly stated, and documented, that the 2010/2011 DSG is not adaptive and does not "learn."

I'm sure someone here has the relevant link(s).

Sport mode is great for warming the engine more quickly (I always run the car in "S" mode until full operating temp is reached) which is better for the engine, and it's also great for the random "Italian Tune-up" when I want to keep the revs up to clean and exercise the turbo.

Ironically, "S" mode shifts much more smoothly on my DSG than does the normal "D" mode. "D" mode shift harshly on mine, often SLAMMING into gear, which does not happen in "S".
funboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 15:45   #12
DWalk
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
How do you know if full operating temperature has reached? is there a symbol on the dash somewhere?
Reference the coolant temp gauge. When you are warmed up your coolant temp should be a constant 190 F (88 C).

However, I think the coolant temp gauge is no longer on the 2011+ Jettas ...

Last edited by DWalk; November 7th, 2010 at 17:35. Reason: Coolant is not Oil and Oil is not Coolant
DWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 16:12   #13
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

That's a coolant temp gauge, not oil temperature - although the statement is otherwise correct ...

"S" mode, or manually downshifting in tiptronic if that doesn't do enough, is also good when going down long hills in mountain driving to avoid overheating the brakes. I tow a trailer a lot and this is important. Rule of thumb is to go down a hill in whatever gear it would take to go up. The auto tranny won't do this on its own, though ... (The Tow/Haul mode in the GM trucks does it quite nicely, but we don't have that ...)
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 17:12   #14
DWalk
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
That's a coolant temp gauge, not oil temperature - although the statement is otherwise correct ...
hahaha ... watching football and posting at the same time ... brain fart
Old November 7th, 2010, 18:06   #15
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that no one has called my own favorite uses for 'S'. I will use it for short bursts when I know or suspect the possibility that I'm going to need Warp 3+ pretty shortly and toot sweet, for example:

1. Merging onto the freeway. You know that jerk at your eight o'clock who won't speed up, won't slow down, and is dying to see you have to stop on the onramp? Feh. A short burst of full pedal in S and he's a little tiny speck in my rearview mirror. If I'm on an onramp and traffic is flowing freely, I'm in S. Once I've merged successfully I immediately drop back into D.

2. Approaching a red light and there's a slow-looking beater pickup sporting a confederate flag in my lane, so I switch to the other, empty lane. Then I notice that just the other side of the intersection the road narrows to one lane. So drop it into S and make beater pickup go away.

3. Turning right or left into speedy traffic. S is definitely your friend here.

I don't do any mountain driving so I don't have many other occasions to use S. The above applications don't require being in S for more than about 5-10 seconds, so the effect on total fuel economy is pretty much nil.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote