www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 1st, 2010, 06:30   #1
procupine14
Veteran Member

Default LED headlights?

So, I've been browsing around awhile now searching for something to replace the halogen bulbs on my Beetle. They seem to burn out very frequently and I'm growing tired of replacing them. Not sure if anyone else has this problem or not but hey. Essentially, I take all the precautions with not touching the bulb and carefully putting the bulb in place and I've already had two burn out on me in 6,000 miles or so of eachother. Really starting to get annoyed as I always replace the pair every time to eliminate differences in the bulb. This time I might just replace the one.

Any way, on to the question at hand. I wonder if something like this would work inplace of my low beams.

They are basically an H1 LED replacement bulb. Technically, they are meant for use as fog lights but I can't help but wonder what their output would look like in the projector housing. If they proved successful this might be the answer to my problem.

As another note, I have also thought about a Euro switch/ disable the DRLs to save the bulbs but I just don't know which direction to go.
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:34   #2
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

no. they are for cosmetic only.

You do not need a euroswitch to disable the DRLs. Just bend down or cover the "TFL" pin on the headlight switch to disable the DRLs.

if you find this info useful, send me a package of the Crown Prime Beef Short Rib from Jack Stack's
- 10 Specialized Secteur Elite
- some snowboards
20IndigoBlue02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:40   #3
procupine14
Veteran Member

Yeah....sadly I figured so. I'm just getting real tired of pulling the headlights on this car. They aren't exactly fun . I might just have to either disable the DRLs some day in the near future or figure out some longer lasting bulbs.

I think that the issue is the amount of time that I spend behind the wheel in one day coupled with the DRLs being on all the time are eating my headlights.

Man Jack Stack is some good stuff! I haven't been there in awhile. I should probably work on that. Also, if there was an easy way to FedEx hot barbeque across the county I might be tempted. In any case thanks a lot. I didn't really know about the DRL thing yet because I hadn't done any research. Though, at the same time I think having a euro switch with the reag fog etc would be pretty cool .

Last edited by procupine14; November 1st, 2010 at 06:42.
procupine14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:07   #4
B52guy
Veteran Member

Default LED headlights

I know that the Prius V, Nissian Leaf, and I think the Tesla Roadster all have LED headlights. I wonder if anyone has taken a look at trying to adapt the headlights out of a Prius yet.

2001 Jetta, 5 speed, bone stock
B52guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:24   #5
procupine14
Veteran Member

Hmmm. That could be very interesting.
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:51   #6
DaveLinger
Veteran Member

Granted all of those cars will have large arrays of LEDs to get a good light output, not a H7-size array.

---
DaveLinger.com
DaveLinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:53   #7
procupine14
Veteran Member

yeah, I did some reading up on the prius set of lows and there are three arrays of LEDs in order to get a proper beam spread to provide enough visability. There two projectors one diffused one standard and then a third "flood" above the two projectors on the lense. The high beams are still HID on the Prius as expected.
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:07   #8
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procupine14 View Post
Yeah....sadly I figured so. I'm just getting real tired of pulling the headlights on this car. They aren't exactly fun . I might just have to either disable the DRLs some day in the near future or figure out some longer lasting bulbs.

I think that the issue is the amount of time that I spend behind the wheel in one day coupled with the DRLs being on all the time are eating my headlights.

Man Jack Stack is some good stuff! I haven't been there in awhile. I should probably work on that. Also, if there was an easy way to FedEx hot barbeque across the county I might be tempted. In any case thanks a lot. I didn't really know about the DRL thing yet because I hadn't done any research. Though, at the same time I think having a euro switch with the reag fog etc would be pretty cool .
I frequently go out to the KCMO area for business, usually try to hit Jack Stack's when I go out there.

In addition to disabling DRLs, may want to consider an H1 HID kit to put into the projectors.
- some snowboards
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:14   #9
MrBigTruck
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

I got tired of mine burning out too so I finally just disabled the DRLs. Not only are the bulbs a pain to replace, it gets expensive. I figure I drive 75% day/25% night so now instead of my headlights pointlessly burning themselves out by running all the time, they're only on when needed. Same reason the high beams typically outlast the low beams.
MrBigTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:34   #10
procupine14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
I frequently go out to the KCMO area for business, usually try to hit Jack Stack's when I go out there.

In addition to disabling DRLs, may want to consider an H1 HID kit to put into the projectors.
You know I was thinking about that. HIDs seem like a good approach. Are the stock projectors able to handle HIDs? I think that they are but I wasn't sure. That might be the route that I go eventually but I will definitely be disabling the DRLs before doing that because if I'm going to spend the money on HID bulbs I'm sure not going to waste even more expensive bulbs on DRLs.

I realize that they may be safer or what not but why in the world isn't there a separate light for the DRLs? Seems like with the immense size of the Beetle's lights that it wouldn't be that difficult to have a third light in there.
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:17   #11
dogdots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post

Jack Stack is a customer of mine, they have a shipping office in the caves and if you have a fat wallet you can have any Jack Stack menu item you want in 2 days shipped to your door

I about fell over when I overheard what 2 slabs of ribs shipped was while I was there working on their copier. IIRC $70.00 plus $19.00 for 2nd day shipping puts you at $89.00

Next time you get to KC stop by RJ's Bob - B - Q here in Mission KS. Great stuff too.
www.kansascitytdi.com

dogdots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:39   #12
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdots View Post
Jack Stack is a customer of mine, they have a shipping office in the caves and if you have a fat wallet you can have any Jack Stack menu item you want in 2 days shipped to your door

I about fell over when I overheard what 2 slabs of ribs shipped was while I was there working on their copier. IIRC $70.00 plus $19.00 for 2nd day shipping puts you at $89.00

Next time you get to KC stop by RJ's Bob - B - Q here in Mission KS. Great stuff too.
when you eat there, they usually give you a coupon for free shipping.

I'll have to stop by RJ's Bob-B-Q when I go there next week.
- some snowboards
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:41   #13
B52guy
Veteran Member

Default Another LED example

How about trying these? They are called Denali D1 LED driving / fog lights. These folks are claiming 10 watt LED, 900 lumens, .75 amps and 50,000 hour operating life.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5224/

2001 Jetta, 5 speed, bone stock
B52guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 13:04   #14
mohawk69
Veteran Member

My daughters 2000 Beetle was blowing headlights frequently too. The last time I replaced the bulb, I removed much of the crumbling wire insulation near the connector, painted it with the vinyl tool coating "paint" and covered it further with shrink tubing. That was quite a while ago and the last time I had to replace a bulb.
mohawk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 13:27   #15
mlemorie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Avg: 43-44

If the harness is coming apart like that, it will cause the lights to burn out quicker for some reason. You can get that harness seperate of the whole assembly, or you can try to repair it like mohawk says but Ive found that repairing the harness is usually hit or miss.
mlemorie is offline   Reply With Quote