www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 13:27   #16
NoJoke
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab176 View Post
Hi!

After my engine in my van (Ford Galaxy) broke, I decided I got to get rid of that van and restart. ......

I liked that van(what a sleeper) I'm sorry for your misfortune...please give us a damage report on what was found

06 E320 CDI - RC
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 00:58   #17
Fab176
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: what is that for?

@chapelhill: We'll discuss that via PM or eMail

@TheoSweden: I got to use spacers that adapt from 5/100 to 5/112. I will get a set soon to test fit the wheels. And I have to put my Brembos on to check what size the spacers have to have in the end. But thanks anyway!

I'm not so much worried about the downpipe - Ruben built my last one and it is just perfect. As I wrote in some other post, he's a real artist with the welding gear! I had the manifold he made in my hands when I disassembled the engine and everything he welded still looks perfect.

@NoJoke: I will try to make my Golf a sleeper as well. Ok, the color is not so much of a sleeper's color, but I want the Golf to look like everything is OEM. That's why I really need to fit the VW Interlagos wheels...
Currently rebuilding: Custom 1.9 PD TDI bored to 2.1, modified VW Crafter pistons w/ lower CR ~16:1, 9mm BigBore PDE with Bosio 1250ccm nozzles, dbilas cam shaft DLC-coated, bigger valves, Rosten stroker rods, modified BW turbo, big FMIC, EGR delete, MAF delete, catalytic converter delete, 4motion 6-speed gearbox in a 2001 Golf Mk4 2-door
Fab176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:23   #18
im570rm
Veteran Member

that's a bad ass downpipe Theo =)
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:57   #19
TheoSweden
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3Q,A4Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab176 View Post
@TheoSweden: I got to use spacers that adapt from 5/100 to 5/112. I will get a set soon to test fit the wheels. And I have to put my Brembos on to check what size the spacers have to have in the end. But thanks anyway!

I'm not so much worried about the downpipe - Ruben built my last one and it is just perfect. As I wrote in some other post, he's a real artist with the welding gear! I had the manifold he made in my hands when I disassembled the engine and everything he welded still looks perfect.
Ahh ofcourse they are 5x112...

The welding is not a problem with the downpipe. Its more that you probably need to test fit it in the right position 1000 times.
I had to cut some of the subframe also and now I have around 1cm space in all directions with my 3" pipe. And It is realy necessary to have a stiff dogbone or else it will touch the firewall it you do a fast launch for example. I can just hope that its more space in Golfs than A3s...

Try to put the turbo a little to one side so that you get more DP space, I didnt and that made it much harder.

//Theo

Last edited by TheoSweden; October 26th, 2010 at 09:08.
TheoSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:11   #20
TheoSweden
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3Q,A4Q

This is what i'm talking about.

TheoSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 00:42   #21
Fab176
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: what is that for?

Hi!

Little progress made with my Mk4 - I got the VW Interlagos installed with some 15mm per wheel adaptor spacers from 5/112 to 5/100

Also put my Mk5 R32 steering wheel in:

Nothing done so far to the engine; I am currently collecting parts and try to find the ideal turbo for my needs. But purchased a nice PD150 intake; looks lovely with the EGR-delete pipe:

And I am working on adapting my Brembo 6-pot calipers to the Golf. I purchased a set of wheel bearing housings and test-fitted an adaptor for the calipers. As you can see, the bloody 288mm rotor looks like a toy I am going for the OEM 334x32 R32 rotors, though...

The adaptor locate the caliper a little too far off the center, so I got a set of new adaptors that place the caliper just in the perfect location to fit the R32 rotors. I didn't take pictures yet, but more to follow.

About the turbo: I have been chatting with Ruben a lot about a possible nice turbo for my engine. I have a pretty good chance to get an ARL bottom end, so I want to use this instead of a PD115 bottom end. GOing for Panchi rods and ARP bolt, of course. I got my cam grinded by Dbilas already and directly sent it to a company named "Kexel" here in Germany for DLC-coating. They did a good job and already sent the cam back to me. My modified Crafter pistons are in the final stage of modification; the omega bowl gets re-shaped to PD-style omega bowl and the oil squirter holes a being re-located to use OEM oil squirters in a 4-cyl TDI crank case. My PD elements have already been upgraded to BigBore PDE; for the first with 8.5mm pistons "only" But I can go for 9mm in case i need it. They will run with race1043 nozzles.

So there is still the open question about the turbo... As insane as it sounds, I think a GTB2260VK will not fulfill my needs. I searched the forum already for some nice, bigger VNT turbo, but didn't really succeed. Modifying a GTB2260 is one option or going for a HINO truck VNT turbo is another. But I can't find a single HINO turbo here in Germany

Let me hear your ideas about the engine re-build!

Greetz,

Fabian
Currently rebuilding: Custom 1.9 PD TDI bored to 2.1, modified VW Crafter pistons w/ lower CR ~16:1, 9mm BigBore PDE with Bosio 1250ccm nozzles, dbilas cam shaft DLC-coated, bigger valves, Rosten stroker rods, modified BW turbo, big FMIC, EGR delete, MAF delete, catalytic converter delete, 4motion 6-speed gearbox in a 2001 Golf Mk4 2-door
Fab176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:57   #22
Jaco
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 / 4.8 / 4.1

subscribed
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:08   #23
Alcaid
Veteran Member

Perfect car for you powerplant! I had a '02 PD150 4Motion Golf earlier but i would for sure NOT call it lightweigt. A really stiff rear sway bar and the car starts acting like a "real" 4wd car on snow
Alcaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:26   #24
GiGGer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): GTI TDI 130

Nice project...exactly what I wish I would have built...but no 4motion here but the R32...

R32 brakes are awesome. Very heat resistant and fits on 17" Longbeach. Love them with my PD130, braking was a must.
GiGGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:01   #25
CERBER
Banned

TDI(s): AAZ

nice project, Fab
...are you sure that PD150 manifold is best option for your goal
CERBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:18   #26
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Ich sehe Tempo Tücher

Shadowmaker might be able to hook you up with a turbo off a Hino truck, otherwise try Turbomaster in Spain. As you go to bigger turbos in a single stage, spool up becomes a bigger issue, and the newer generation turbos make a huge difference. Make your selection carefully.

I don't think the cold side of a Hino turbo supports the power level you are targeting. Maybe you might also look outside of Garrett turbos and consider a Holset unit. A good rule of thumb for an initial turbo selection in the absence of maps is to look at the power output of the OEM engine from which the turbocharger comes. From this page, the GT2563VK is used in a Hino application that develops only 150 HP and nothing in Hino's line in that list produces over 221 HP -- that's using a GT3576KL(!) If an engine only develops, say, 150 HP, don't dream of using the same turbocharger to get over 300.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:25   #27
Rub87
Veteran Member

the problem we are facing is that there seems to be a large gap between a 2260vk and the next vgt (gt30v or gt35v hotside) or a he341ve.. to solve this gap I was thinking about using a gt28r crhra and turbine wheel in a vgt hotside with a suitable compressor.. it will be alot of custum work, but fabain has some connections with a cnc workshop
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:36   #28
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Forget pretty much EVERYTHING about physical size. It's largely irrelevant. There has been so much development with turbochargers that I would rather take a small turbo of the newest generation than a larger unit of older generation.

And check here.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:55   #29
Rub87
Veteran Member

I have a he341ve in my basement, there is no way to phisically fit it behind the engine in a mk4, altough it sould be possible to fit above the transmission.. but it will never spool well enough for a daily driver..

Dave, do you know if there is something with relatively small frame dimension that flows around 350hp of air at pr 3.5 minimum without falling of the compressormap with a vnt turbine housing? so somethink like a 2260vk, but one size bigger
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:46   #30
devonutopia
Veteran Member

I assume Garrett haven't done something bonkers like a GTB2570vk then? It is a little disheartening for me to read the GTb2260vk is not enough as this is exactly what I have now.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote