www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:40   #1
Fab176
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: what is that for?
Default Neverending project: Golf Mk4 PD TDI 4motion 6-speed

Hi!

After my engine in my van (Ford Galaxy) broke, I decided I got to get rid of that van and restart. So this time I focused on a descent basis for a powerful engine. Only choice is 4motion, of course - and a lightweight chassis. So I found a nice 2-door Golf Mk4 (2002) 4motion with a PD115 engine. It also has a 6-speed gearbox, so just little mods required there.

My "old" engine is currently being rebuilt - it gets new pistons (VW Crafter, machined), a new cam shaft (dbilas), bigger exh valves (34mm), BigBore PDE (8.5mm or 9mm). And if I find a GTB2260VK at a reasonable price, it'll get a new turbo as well. This package will move into the Golf.

Then there is my Brembo-6-piston brake - I will get some adaptors so I can fit the calipers to the Golf. It will run 334x28mm rotors (probably), but it requires some more fine tuning. Then I want to fit my VW Interlagos wheels (8x18, 41mm offset).

With all this done, I think that Golf will be a little, nice driving machine. I paid it today and probably will have it at my place middle of next week (when registration etc. is done). I'll post a pic soon.

Greetz,

Fabian
Currently rebuilding: Custom 1.9 PD TDI bored to 2.1, modified VW Crafter pistons w/ lower CR ~16:1, 9mm BigBore PDE with Bosio 1250ccm nozzles, dbilas cam shaft DLC-coated, bigger valves, Rosten stroker rods, modified BW turbo, big FMIC, EGR delete, MAF delete, catalytic converter delete, 4motion 6-speed gearbox in a 2001 Golf Mk4 2-door

Last edited by Fab176; May 26th, 2014 at 03:50.
Fab176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 14:12   #2
glitdi
Veteran Member

You Europeans and you all wheel drive diesels!!!!
Nice project looking forward to the pictures and details.

OCD Member #4
glitdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 15:04   #3
VWBeamer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.79 mpg Woot!

I would love to have something like that, all we get is 2 wheel drive and PD100...
Old October 22nd, 2010, 15:43   #4
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Wish we got 4wd in the UK as well - Just nothing really here in TDI form.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 16:29   #5
Diesel Head.

I'd love to 4mo my 02 PD150
Diesel Head. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 23:18   #6
Bobby Singh
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf ARL

Nice one Fabian what clutch would you use?
Old October 22nd, 2010, 23:39   #7
TheoSweden
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3Q,A4Q

You will have a fun car But one thing is for sure, it is far from a lightweight car. My audi is 1460kg after my engine mods, some lightning inside and half tank of fuel.
The only "problem" is to build a good downpipe, but I'm sure you know that already.

Good luck from Sweden!

PS. Please show us much pictures during the build
TheoSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:26   #8
ryanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonutopia View Post
Wish we got 4wd in the UK as well - Just nothing really here in TDI form.
PD130 A3 in Mk4 chassis, and Mk5 chassis gives many options, Golf or A3 4 motion/quattro!!

Fabian, Great project, the little arosa sounded good but 4WD is a must at 300hp!!

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:30   #9
chapelhill
Veteran Member

Fabian.
Where are you sourcing you exhaust valves, I am starting to do a PD head this weekend and was going to opt for larger valves, but search did not find anything but custom options.

Looks like you have maybe opened up a can of worms on injector selection with BigBore PDE element maybe stretching the Bosio race 1043 into Firrad territory. Would you still opt for the Bosio if you did not already have the nozzles? I had convinced myself that if I was still not happy with PD150 injectors that Firad was the only way to go due to opening duration.
Mercedes E280CDI for the wife!
chapelhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:57   #10
Fab176
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: what is that for?

Wow, what a feedback...

@glitdi: As soon as the show starts, more pictures will follow

@VWBeamer, devonutopia, Diesel_Head: Seriously, you have my deepest sympathy...

@Bobby_Singh: I will keep my Sachs Performance SMF and the clutch I used in the Galaxy. AFAIK the Golf has a 240mm flywheel for PD TDI and 4motion combination

@TheoSweden: Compared to that heavy Galaxy-brick, the Golf is a REAL lightweight Pics will follow soon; DP etc. I will probably create together with Ruben

@ryanp: Agree - the Arosa would be fun, but the mods required to make it 4WD would be way too expensive. I drove one Arosa just recently and those little cars are pretty lightweight on the rear axis (my impression). That would certainly change when 4motion is added and some other weight-reducing mods were taken, but using that Golf is the easier way.

@chapelhill: The exh valves will be from Mahle; I currently try to get them via VW. If this won't work, I might contact another supplier I know.
I am a "believer" in Bosio-nozzles, so that's why I stick with them. Actually, I haven't heard anything about Firad-nozzles "in real life", but I am always open to new inputs. What problems did you have with opening duration? What effects did it show?

---------------------
This is a first picture of my "new toy":

And the best thing (sorry for bad quality):

Already found a way to put my brakes on (as I wrote before). I might use R32 brakes for the rear as well; can get a complete set incl. rotors for 300 Euro. Another thing I need to get is the R32 DSG airbox, but this seems to be only a minor mod. In order to put my VW Interlagos 18"s on, I need to use adaptor wheel spacers that will be manufactured by a friend - looking forward to see those beauties on my Golf

Greetz,

Fabian
Currently rebuilding: Custom 1.9 PD TDI bored to 2.1, modified VW Crafter pistons w/ lower CR ~16:1, 9mm BigBore PDE with Bosio 1250ccm nozzles, dbilas cam shaft DLC-coated, bigger valves, Rosten stroker rods, modified BW turbo, big FMIC, EGR delete, MAF delete, catalytic converter delete, 4motion 6-speed gearbox in a 2001 Golf Mk4 2-door
Fab176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:53   #11
im570rm
Veteran Member

yeah making the downpipe for this car is a pia but it can be done even with your current turbo or with bigger turbo
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:00   #12
chapelhill
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab176 View Post
Wow, what a feedback...

@chapelhill: The exh valves will be from Mahle; I currently try to get them via VW. If this won't work, I might contact another supplier I know.
I am a "believer" in Bosio-nozzles, so that's why I stick with them. Actually, I haven't heard anything about Firad-nozzles "in real life", but I am always open to new inputs. What problems did you have with opening duration? What effects did it show?
Greetz,
Fabian
Sorry Fabian I did not explain very well, I have not upgraded my injectors yet, I am tring to maximise the rest of the set up before I decide on the injectors as they will only really add over 3.5k rpm if engine is limited to 550Nm which is a sensible objective.

The issue is that the Bosio race injectors may be using an overly large injection window at high rpm wheras Firad have claimed significantly higher volumes which can therefore use relatively standard injection window, and as no-one yet has managed to measure the peak combustion pressures versus angle with these sort of durations we are not sure what is going on. I know motor manufactuers are continuously changing nozzle size smaller, but we have different objectives, and my objective is maximum power whilst minimising risk to engine which instinct says would be through shorter injector period, but there are too many variables to know without measurements.

There are just too many stories and not enough truths.

Don't want to Hijack you thread, look forward to seeing the development as it goes forward.
Mercedes E280CDI for the wife!
chapelhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:36   #13
bhodgkiss
Veteran Member

we do get the Passat b5.5 in 4motion form, 1.9tdi PD130 or 2.5tdi 163bhp in the uk
Heavier car to start with though....
bhodgkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:02   #14
TheoSweden
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by im570rm View Post
yeah making the downpipe for this car is a pia but it can be done even with your current turbo or with bigger turbo
Everything can be done This is one way of doing it. I'm sure Ruben and Fabian can make it much nicer!

Damn I miss building a car, I want to do it again, much better!

Last edited by TheoSweden; October 23rd, 2010 at 10:06.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:11   #15
TheoSweden
Veteran Member

With 18x8 and ET41 you must be able to use ~25mm spacers. I had around ET 20 and it worked great, but probably better handling with stock S3 wheels tough. But the looks was great Your fenders are wider also
I have a set of 25mm billet alu spacers you can buy cheap if you like, with bults.

Last edited by TheoSweden; October 23rd, 2010 at 10:14.