Fitting ASZ/ARL Crank & Rods to a AFN/AHU block

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
Hi, I am looking at building a new motor for my Van over the winter and as i am running a 1Z i think i need to start looking at upgrading my internals. I am looking at fitting ASZ/ARL crank, rods and .5 oversize pistons into a AFN or AHU block. Because of clearance issues i can't use the later style block so i have to stick with the early block. Has anyone done this already and if so were there any major snaggs ?
Any advise gratefully recieved Nathan.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Crank is quite different at the timing belt side, altough it might fit.. but I think there's no real gain in performance/reliability in running the ARL crank.. an AHU/AFN crank will do fine, and if you use PD100 style (H beam or oem, you can choose) rods and sputter bearings you're set for well over 500Nm, oh, and first thing to upgrade is the main cap bolts.. some ARP hardware will help to keep the crank where it belongs.. also using pistons with a lower CR will increase reliability

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
There has been a lot of dicussion about piston choices recently I think i will suffer from a poor selection of head gaskets when it comes to piston size as far as i am aware there are no gaskets that will support 81mm bore size for the early block. Any suggestions for the best piston choice for my application.

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
There has been a lot of dicussion about piston choices recently I think i will suffer from a poor selection of head gaskets when it comes to piston size as far as i am aware there are no gaskets that will support 81mm bore size for the early block. Any suggestions for the best piston choice for my application.
The Glaser/Reinz gasket will support 81mm bore.
So you have quite a few options on pistons then

brum

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5, 1.9 TDI, AFN
Since I was researching on the same process, one additional note - the oil squirters may need change. There are cooling passages in the PD131 pistons and the corresponding oil squirters should be used.

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
It looking like a quite a mixed bag of bits, BHW pistons, BEW rods AFN Block and crank, PD oil squiters and to top it off (if the budget will stretch to it) a TDIMeister Cam, Valves and Springs in a worked head. Hopefully will be able to make the time to build the thing.

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
It looking like a quite a mixed bag of bits, BHW pistons, BEW rods AFN Block and crank, PD oil squiters and to top it off (if the budget will stretch to it) a TDIMeister Cam, Valves and Springs in a worked head. Hopefully will be able to make the time to build the thing.
sounds about what I have...
AHU block + crank, PD100 rods, pistons and oil squirters, angled valves and seats, sputter bearings, dbilas camshaft...

JW

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
With some new nozzles and another tune hopefully i should make some good numbers and still be reliable, need to hit Ebay and start hunting down some of this stuff.

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
Since I was researching on the same process, one additional note - the oil squirters may need change. There are cooling passages in the PD131 pistons and the corresponding oil squirters should be used.
I will be following your build with interest as i am sure you will be finished a long time before me.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Does the ARL crank fit in an AFN block?
I have access to a good one with good ARL rods....
Would be nice if it dropped in!

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
bhodgkiss: Did you take reading of the text below? It 's only a few posts above yours :confused:
Just put pd100 rods and pd150 pistons with the afn crank .
I did by this way too.

Crank is quite different at the timing belt side, altough it might fit.. but I think there's no real gain in performance/reliability in running the ARL crank.. an AHU/AFN crank will do fine, and if you use PD100 style (H beam or oem, you can choose) rods and sputter bearings you're set for well over 500Nm, oh, and first thing to upgrade is the main cap bolts.. some ARP hardware will help to keep the crank where it belongs.. also using pistons with a lower CR will increase reliability

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, excuse me then.
I think that way is not worth the EFFORT...
What torque will do you handle?

Last edited:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
No don't apologise! Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude
Aiming for 250bhp/500nm?
I'm sure you're right, just assessing the options!

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
You was not rude mate :).

What's the gearbox you will use? 02M? 500NM seems a lot of torque

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
Do i must fully balanced crank , rods and pistons ( and all other things ) If i want to use BMM pistons in bored ARL block. I have set of BMM pistons.