www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 10th, 2010, 19:35   #1
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Default H7 bulb suggestions?

I have Depo headlights that take H7 bulbs for highs and lows. I also happen to have a relayed wire harness from eurowires.net

Anyhow, this means I'm running my bulbs at about ~14.4V. Usuing a formula I'm found in my internet travels ((operating voltage/13.2)^(-13)*stated lifespan in hours) gives me about 113 hours out of the bulbs, or about 33% stated operating life. This happens to match up with the longest time it took for a low beam to burnout.

The bulb industry is plagued with blue bulbs everywhere and I really want to stay away from them. What brand/manufacturer are all of you using and how long are your bulbs lasting? Any suggestions for H7 +30 or +50 bulbs?

Thanks much!
Old October 10th, 2010, 19:44   #2
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

I always had good results w/either the Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstar (not to be confused w/the US Sylvania Silverstar).

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_li...at1=39&cat2=24

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:58   #3
whatnxt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '12 Golf
Fuel Economy: 38-47
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=FlyTDI Guy]I always had good results w/either the Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstar (not to be confused w/the US Sylvania Silverstar).
whatnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 00:39   #4
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Thanks much for the recommendations, I'm looking forward to giving them a try
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:23   #5
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 64.5 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
I have Depo headlights that take H7 bulbs for highs and lows. I also happen to have a relayed wire harness from eurowires.net

Anyhow, this means I'm running my bulbs at about ~14.4V. Usuing a formula I'm found in my internet travels ((operating voltage/13.2)^(-13)*stated lifespan in hours) gives me about 113 hours out of the bulbs, or about 33% stated operating life. This happens to match up with the longest time it took for a low beam to burnout.

The bulb industry is plagued with blue bulbs everywhere and I really want to stay away from them. What brand/manufacturer are all of you using and how long are your bulbs lasting? Any suggestions for H7 +30 or +50 bulbs?

Thanks much!
The man that you should speak with is Daniel Stern. He is by far the most knowledgable person on automotive lighting that I've ever spoken with. He feels the same way about "blue" lights that you do. If I remember correctly, he is a lighting Engineer and consultant for many corporations. Here's his link. Good luck
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Intech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 16:42   #6
JayT
Veteran Member

hey osram makes a 65w h7 clear bulb. I always liked them. Will be brighter particularly with wiring harness.

the most significant change for me that has effected bulb life is disabling the DRL's and adding the euroswitch. you can run the city lights for driving lights (I have LED's for my city lights).

Currently, I have h7 "ultra white" (or some crap name like that) 80w in my low beams and yeah they are "blue" in the sense that they do have a slight coating that makes them look "white", so the 80w does make up for the fact that the bulbs have a coating.

I've run 70w yellow h7's in my high beams for years and never changed them. (I have a harness that runs off the battery also)

I'm not advocating blue bulbs but the ones I have give the car a more updated appearance, and while the bulb is a higher wattage, the light is not scattered or menacing. They are not really significantly brighter than stock lights except the brightness gain you get with a rewired harness.

some things to think about. but I echo what has been said. Daniel Stern has a great website.

2003 Golf TDI 4-door GLS, Rocketchip stage 2, Boostvalve, Scangauge, LED city lights, euroswitch, Panzer skid plate - SOLD
JayT is offline   Reply With Quote