www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5)

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US).

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:56   #1
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Variant
Fuel Economy: 39 @ 75. 42 @ 60
Default AdBlue

Warranty about to run out on the TDi. Called the dealer's service desk re: the AdBlue requirement. "CANNOT do it on your own. Need special tools and a special computer" to fill this stuff. Asked them about the price per fill: $50+/fill + cost of AdBlue. Damn. What is so complicated about topping off fluids? Now we need to know the position of the stars, barometric pressures, relative level of the axles and the alignment of the planets.......
Love it. Gouge me baby. .......... Got nothing to do about "affording" a car like that. Just saying everyone wants a piece of you, others want bigger pieces of you.
whizznbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:43   #2
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

curious... how long does one fill last and how much does the fluid itself cost?
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:13   #3
dieselpower2010

Fuel Economy: 40-52

What kinds of VW's run adblue. Do the new 2010 TDI's use it or not, and if so how do you know you need to add it????????
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:20   #4
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

4 cyclinder TDi's don't need it. Only the 6 cylinder "belchers" do (Touareg V6, and Q7). BUT, Ford's Powerstroke, Dodge's Cummins, and GMC's Duramax are exempt because if not you and I are really going to pay for the bailout.
It's about $20 for 2.5 gallons at the Audi dealership, and $11 at the VW dealership. Once Pepboys gets it, it'll be lower. Audi adds a perfume, like Chanel #7 to theirs that's why the extra cost.
Apparently in my Q7, every service interval you have to put about a couple of liters (what dealer says). There is a sensor somewhere that indicates low levels, with a mileage countdown. Past that countdown, you're stranded and will need to be either towed or have someone bring you some adBlu. Best is to carry a bottle or so in the trunk of the car to make sure you don't run out. BS in my opinion, BUT, I have yet to smell exhaust fumes from the Q7 with this stuff. It really is almost odorless.......
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:23   #5
dieselpower2010

Fuel Economy: 40-52

Thanks for that info. Luckily i wont have to worry about it then cause i will have the jetta.
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:44   #6
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Are you sure it cannot simply be filled?? Check the owner's manual. I can't believe there is not simply a level sensor in the tank that tells the ecu that all is well as long as fluid level is ok.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:49   #7
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg

any approved def will work

http://thelubricantstore.com/default...FQwDbAodgnTfEQ

and this is where the fill cap is (audi forum)

As you know you have the filler next to the fuel port. When you put in the small self service bottles it only fills the "Active tank" which is kind of wrapped around the diesel filler port right behind the filler door. Active meaning it has the pumps and heater to keep the urea solution from freezing. The passive tank is the large on and it is down in front of the fuel tank. To fill this one as you ask, you must have the proper filling tools that only Audi has. It has a special fitting that somehow diverts it to the passive tank through the same filler port. Fluid is pumped from the passive tank up to the active tank. When the passive tank is empty or close to it you get the "Service AD BLUE in 1500 Miles" message

nice that the stealer told you that only they can fill the tank,

just keep topping off the passive tank and forget the stealer
Old October 7th, 2010, 13:05   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

The main tank needs the adaptation values reset when it is filled. It is not that big of a deal, really, but does require a scan tool (as does many other things on most modern vehicles).

There is also adaptation values for the DPF, the adaptive speed control, automatic headlamps, etc., etc., etc. That is an expensive, very complex vehicle. It stands to reason its service should be somewhat involved too.

The T'reg, oddly enough, has only one tank, under the spare tire, and the Adblue bottles screw right on to the fill cap, and it is pretty easy. I have no idea why VAG decided to make the Q7 so different, unless it was to accomodate a larger Adblue capacity for the 12 cylinder TDI (we don't get those here).

If you want to fill the Q7 yourself properly, you'll need the Adblue filling tool number VAS6542 and a suitable VAG-specific scan tool such as Ross-tech's VCDS. The tool is a little less than $300. It is a fill bottle, valve, and tubing.

Last edited by oilhammer; October 7th, 2010 at 13:26.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 13:44   #9
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

I bought the service package to 45K. They'll fill the damn thing up with adblue, and from then on, I'll be filling it up every so often with the liter bottle that has the attachment. What a rip. But what a car it is to drive.
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:58   #10
chittychittybangbang
Veteran Member

Have you seen my site? It has very detailed description of the adblue system. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/D...AQ-VW-Audi.htm While Audi has a TSB which says you require adaptation when you add fluid, according to this post in my audi q7 tdi forum, that's not the case, at least in his car. You can just add fluid.
chittychittybangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 14:16   #11
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittychittybangbang View Post
Have you seen my site? It has very detailed description of the adblue system. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/D...AQ-VW-Audi.htm While Audi has a TSB which says you require adaptation when you add fluid, according to this post in my audi q7 tdi forum, that's not the case, at least in his car. You can just add fluid.

this is an awsome site

recommended
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:59   #12
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38 avrg, 46.5 best
Default Adding Adblue

My parents own a Q7. They purchased the Audi pre-paid service plan. Is it necessary for them to buy Adblue and keep some on hand? I wouldn't think it's necessary. Does Audi indicate on their service/work orders that they added Adblue or "topped-off" the Adblue tanks?

The dealership they bought the car from seems to be taking good care of them (and the car). After reading on the Q7 threads about the TSB, I told my father about it. Within a week or two, the dealer called them and said they needed the car to take care of the TSB items. The dealer sent a driver to come get their car, gave them a loaner, took care of the TSB stuff, and brought the car back. Now that is service!!!! Wish I could get that with my VW dealership.
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:50   #13
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

OK so I'm told you need an expensive part to fill the big tank, and the software to read it. Or keep using the stealer. Essentially there is no easy way/owner do-it-yourself deal with this feature the car has, correct? I mean, you can keep filling the little reservoir over and over but you'd never know how much was left in the big reservoir. How much can I roll my eyes today?
Old October 11th, 2010, 15:23   #14
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Talking

I've heard AdBlue being referred to as BluePi$$.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 17:53   #15
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

2011 Duramax now uses "diesel exhaust fluid".
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote