www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 15th, 2010, 20:52   #16
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

TDI(s): idi

well ive got a few other machinest friends.. one who likes to do extream custom little things.. like cluutch choes on a rc nitro car.. i bet he can add me a groove for the mk4 hub to be keyed like the rover one.. just need to get a mk4 pully set up still..

the bracket is simple.. any shop should be able to open thqat up..
CRSMP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:37   #17
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

well after pondering the pump gear solution i think ive got the best idea.. build a custom one..

has anyone ever looked at how they make adjustable cam gears for the gasser engines? id expect a cam to have more force/tension then a fuel pump right?

ill have a machinest friend build me a plate.. drill tap my pump gear.. then cut the bad boy so i have a perfect adjustable pump gear in mk4 style but direct fit to the rover pump.. as long as i have a tooth of adjustment built into it i should be tits perfect..
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:39   #18
ryanp

The mk4 pulley fits right on though? just needs a key way to make sure its in the right place, seems like a lot of effort for nothing!!

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:21   #19
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

adding keyway is much harder, rember its tapered hole too, then a simple piece of round steel, some slots.. and drill/tap.. id also have to find a mk4 pully set up with hub.. get the mk4 pull machined thinner and stuff.,.. so reality is, is it?

even if i had to buy a cam gear for a gasser at $100ish new for the plate id look for a used one 1st, its gotta cost less overall AND evryone would have easy ability to duplicate it..

reality for me is this is the 1st of many tdi-m's ill end up building.. know a few others who want tdi's but do not want the electrical hassle.. and with my connections rover pumps are not hard to get..
Old July 5th, 2017, 19:48   #20
coronan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Golf
Fuel Economy: 44 - 52 mpg

I seen the LR 300 was rated for 120 hp. Is the pump the limiting factor or the turbo?
01 Golf, 180K mi, 2R520, Malone Tune, 2052, 3" DP-Cat-exhaust, IE Rods, Head Ported by Franks TDI, ASV Pistons, SBC Stage 2, Stealth EGR, Carter p4070 lift pump, Ebay FMIC, 11mm, 3" TIP, WaveTrac, DIY Rear Sway, Custom Intake Mani, Dog-bone Shimmed, 4"snorkel, Stanadyne FM100 5 mic, T-belt tools & VCDS,
coronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 22:07   #21
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

i guess that depends on what turbo you wanna use...

the rover pump is an 11mm pump so I would assume that its overall fueling capability is on par with the 11mm electronically controlled ALH pump provided the same nozzles are being used.

but you know what they say about assuming...
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 00:21   #22
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

The Rover 2.5L engine puts out 120 hp in stock form - stock injectors, stock turbo, stock emissions profile. The pump itself has no trouble pushing more fuel than that.

The pump head itself is identical to an 11mm ALH pump. The cam plate in the pump (which is what actually pushes on the plunger more or less) isn't quite as aggressive as the stock AHU/ALH ones. This does limit the fueling you can achieve a tiny bit. Larger nozzles take care of that though. If you are going for an all out 200 hp+ build then swapping in a different cam plate wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, however the stock one is sufficient for most people's needs if they are doing injectors too.

The earlier Rover 200 TDI pumps have a more aggressive cam plate than the later 300 TDI ones, though there's been some suggestions that the 200 pumps are more likely to break plunger return springs due to said cam plate. I can't say either way - I have the 300 TDI version along with large nozzles and I definitely don't have any issues getting enough fuel in there.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old July 6th, 2017, 15:48   #23
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

i just installed a vw 11mm cam plate and return springs in a 200 pump that had broken springs... one day the owner will have it fitted up and ill getta see how it varies vs a 300 pump with gov mod.. but its more then nuff to get in trouble with no gov mod.. gov mod just lets ya lift heads and blow turbos when facing off against a wrx... but wrx lost..

so imo.. put it in.. be happy... ive been running stock gov as kept hurtin things with the mod.. but again.. i do have a bew bottom end to build something from now.. compound turbo.. 45psi boost is my plan... just not in a hurry as its more fun to drive vs foxing broken crap..

why would a gov mod break things... engine rpm vs turbo rpm... turbo dislikes over spooled and stock rpm its ok with... but when it pulls till the cam plate skips in the pump and you drive it like a race car it did few things... ate few turbos.. ate the cam plate... lifted the head... the turbo is my limiting factor.. but its so unsafe with what it will do i have let it be my limit...

Last edited by CRSMP5; July 6th, 2017 at 16:08.
Old December 14th, 2017, 04:44   #24
Marzocchi

Hey guys. I'am from Germany and have some experience with TDIs but I'm new to building an M-TDI.
I am just working on an ALH with a LR 300TDI ERR4046 pump and have some difficulties to get the sprocket on.

Unfortunately the right english terms for the pump parts are not common to me...

I have a LR 300TDI Pump with Governod mod. I have a complete ALH engine with ALH Pump. I removed the ALH pump and put the LR pump on instead. The mounting holes of the LR pump do not have threads but thats ok.

My problem is, that the ALH sprocket with 3 mounting holes does not fit the LR Pump (sout?/flansh?). What do I have to do?

Thanks for your help and regards
Marzocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:13   #25
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzocchi View Post
Hey guys. I'am from Germany and have some experience with TDIs but I'm new to building an M-TDI.
I am just working on an ALH with a LR 300TDI ERR4046 pump and have some difficulties to get the sprocket on.
Unfortunately the right english terms for the pump parts are not common to me...
I have a LR 300TDI Pump with Governod mod. I have a complete ALH engine with ALH Pump. I removed the ALH pump and put the LR pump on instead. The mounting holes of the LR pump do not have threads but thats ok.
My problem is, that the ALH sprocket with 3 mounting holes does not fit the LR Pump (sout?/flansh?). What do I have to do?
Thanks for your help and regards
you have to swap hubs
Old December 14th, 2017, 15:50   #26
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Yup, you need both the hub and the pulley from an ALH. The Rover hub has the wrong offset.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old January 20th, 2018, 05:13   #27
Marzocchi

Thanks. I got that fixed. I now installed the pump to the ALH engine and set the timing to 1.42. All good.

Starting the engine I had to give the main fuel screw about 5-6 turns to get enough fuel (using the small stock alh nozzles at the moment) but then it awoke. Normal?

My problem now is that i'm afraid I did something wrong putting the pump back together after the governor mod (2 shims to the spring)

The engine almost does not react to the gas lever position.
There is a bit of a reaction at the very end of the lever travel. I can adjust idle rpm with the main fuel screw but the engine will suddeny rev to nirvana if I screw it in too much.

In the video below you see that the engine will start good at 100% throttle. I adjust rpm with the main fuel screw. Releasing the gas lever will stop the engine to run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfXzXz0wejQ

Any ideas what I have done wrong? Thanks
Marzocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 05:46   #28
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Sounds like you need to advance the throttle lever a couple of splines
Old January 28th, 2018, 19:20   #29
damac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

i just started my first mtdi alh project today with rover 300 pump. i think im timed to 1.54 because i thought thats what google said

mine came off a used runner so the guy said. i was surprised after i primed fuel it didn't take allot of cranking before it started up without glowplugs.

mine seems to be steady idling and reacts to pedal, etc. so i didn't have to tamper with fuel screw, etc.

did you test the pump before you did the governor mod?
damac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 08:14   #30
SplitBusVanatic

SO42 1966 splitty with AFN from 1997 Passat.
Flipped Passat gearbox.
Converted to mtdi using Land Rover 300tdi pump.
Bored out the factory afn injector pump bracket to accept the replacement pump.
Grew tired of limp mode and the old sensors.
So from a future proof point of view and a cost analysis of replacing multiple sensors such a as MAF and n75 and throttle potentiometer. vs buying the rover pump and the golf alh pump sprocket. Also changed the turbo to a waste-gate type. Didnít have the knowledge to make up a vnt controller for the afn factory turbo.
Result was: It was a no brainer. Mtdi all the way for me.
Hereís a cold start.
https://youtu.be/n3pSJyuVwF0
Little smoke on start up. May need a further tune.
SplitBusVanatic is offline   Reply With Quote