www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:09   #1
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

TDI(s): idi
Default building a tdi-m with rover pump???

well not positive which area to ask for schooling but ill assume here...

0460414099 from a land-rover defender 2.5 aka 300 tdi

fitting it is as simple as mk4 onto mk3 ahu mount.

i have a AHU engine from a 98 jetta, i have the above rover pump in hand, and seek advice on nozzles to use and any tips about using this pump to build a tdi-m.. ive read some bits via search, but looking for someone who has done it
CRSMP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 16:42   #2
hustler900

I would be very interested in what mods are needed to bolt this pump onto an AHU. How about an ALH? I was just starting to look into the Rover Mtdi pumps for my AHU swap but I ended up taking another path. Would be good to know for any future swaps though.
hustler900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 20:52   #3
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

mounting the pump is simple. well not difficult.. you have to rember the AHU pump is small where it goes into the mount.. like any pre ahu pumps... a newer pump alh?? aka 99.5+ mk4 style requires a machine shop to open that hole up to about 68mm i think it was.. then from reading requires a few shims to get the gear to line up perfectly with the belt... rember the pully becomes the adjustment vs turning the pump to do so. mine was machined next day.. and machinest said it was cake too.

for a mk4 style tdi its direct bolt on...
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:18   #4
ryanp

the pump fits an AAZ bracket which bolts up to the TDI block, you need to weld on a lug for the TB roller or just leave it out. the AHU sprocket fits the LR shaft perfectly too.

the advance springs need swapping to something softer (AAZ?) and they run fine, have a look on vwdiesel.net for my posts as well as others on this subject. getting the timing right is the hardest part.

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 16:59   #5
jetfiremuck

TDI(s): 98 Jetta

I have a 200 tdi LR pump that I am thinking of using on the ahu motor. The lr pump pulley looks like it will work. It has a heavier mass maybe using the mass as a flywheel effect damping pulses thru the pump.
jetfiremuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:31   #6
ryanp

The rover pulley is no good at all, the offset is wrong and it's too large AFAIK

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:45   #7
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

im going to use a mk4 style pully..
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:47   #8
ryanp

the mk4 pulley has no keyway on the 'holder/flange' so setting it at TDC can be a pain, id prefer to use an AHU pulley and just live with the fact that you have to adjust the timing by swinging the pump.

Old October 13th, 2010, 06:32   #9
markb_1303

I've just put one of these pumps on a 1Z which I have transplanted into a 1985 audi 80.

I used the pump bracket from a 1.9TD T4 transporter van (eurovan?? to the americans) becuase I had one laying around. The AAZ bracket I had I'm sure was too small, but now ryanp has mentioned it, I will have to look again. Ryan, was the AAZ a late one with the 2-piece hub by any chance?

I used the 1Z pulley which meant slotting the pump mounting holes so the timing could be set by turning the whole pump.

Timing figures, I started at 1.54mm which is a number I have seen on a few threads and it ran at that setting. However, it was a bit smokey and with some more advance ran perfect. The car is at the MOT station at the moment but when I get it back I will check what the timing is set to now and start tweaking the pump a bit. I intend to investigate the govenor and timing springs etc...
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:11   #10
ryanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb_1303 View Post
I've just put one of these pumps on a 1Z which I have transplanted into a 1985 audi 80.

I used the pump bracket from a 1.9TD T4 transporter van (eurovan?? to the americans) becuase I had one laying around. The AAZ bracket I had I'm sure was too small, but now ryanp has mentioned it, I will have to look again. Ryan, was the AAZ a late one with the 2-piece hub by any chance?

I used the 1Z pulley which meant slotting the pump mounting holes so the timing could be set by turning the whole pump.

Timing figures, I started at 1.54mm which is a number I have seen on a few threads and it ran at that setting. However, it was a bit smokey and with some more advance ran perfect. The car is at the MOT station at the moment but when I get it back I will check what the timing is set to now and start tweaking the pump a bit. I intend to investigate the govenor and timing springs etc...
The bracket was the one with a 2pc hub as far as I remember, at first I got my mates grandad to open up a TDi one but realised this afterwards! I did the same for the first setup I made, slotting the holes. The second one just used a stock AAZ bracket and the Mk4 golf Hub/sprocket but finding TDC would be a pain with no keyway so I sold it all on.

I'd like to see how the pump goes if you open the timing cover up and put a softer spring in, maybe a AAZ one will work?? The governor needs doing as the Land rovers donít rev well at all.

Really need to fit one of these into my dads Mk1 caddy with some .216 injectors and a nice turbo!! TDís run too hot!!

Old October 14th, 2010, 03:19   #11
markb_1303

Yeah, the AAZ bracket that I had was off the earlier one piece pulley design, but I did wonder about the 2-piece style AAZ as I put one of those in my mk2, didn't fancy ripping it apart though!

I've got a spare AAZ to try the advance spring out of, i've also got a "GTD" pump and a couple of other random pumps to try. I did noticed it fell quite flat as the revs went up, so that is definitely on the list.

At the moment I've got a VNT turbo from a crafter van on there, built my own controller for it but havn't got it wired up just yet (one of the advantages of the rover pump is the throttle position sensor on it!) but I did have a quick drive with the vacuum lines ran in the car just to see how much it would boost - when my mate plugged the line in it pegged my 1.5bar boost gauge in an instant and pulled HARD, then blew a boost hose! When I've got the boost, advance and gov sorted I'll be putting some DSS stage 2 nozzles in it too.
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:43   #12
ryanp

Which turbo from the crafter do you have?? The LR throttle pot is easy to fit to other pumps if you have the skills! I sent all the parts to a mate for him to make a VNT controller, not sure how far he got with it. I'd like to see your version.

Fit the spring and report back, you might also need to make the cover deeper to get more advance.

DSS nozzles will be nuts, lol, you will have loads of fuel with those and an 11mm pump! Have you considered a lift pump for it too?

Email me some pics if you could, been talking with my bro's and we NEED to put an M-TDi in the Caddy! lol

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:51   #13
blackdogvan

TDI(s): Mtdi Vanagon
Fuel Economy: 7.2L/100km summer tires - 8.0L/100km winter tires

Interesting that some have been able to find a stock IP bracket that fit without a bit of machine time. I've fitted my LR 300tdi 11mm pump on my Mtdi & it wasn't too difficult bu there were a few things. I started with a canadian AAZ IP bracket & had to have the nose bore opened up for the LR pump but just a few mm. From there it installed easily with a ALH 2 piece flange/pulley & shorter delivery valves from an old AAZ pump so the stock lines would line up without needing any bends.

Goes like a stabbed rat compared to the AAZ I had in before, mileage is consistent at 7.5L/100km (AAZ was 9.3) which is pretty good for pushing around a fat Vanagon & a heavy foot. PP520's (from RyanP), K03 hybrid @ 18psi & NO smoke... none; i could probably use a bit more fuel but i'm happy as it is. Initally I set the timing to 1.2 but that was a tad (ok more than a tad...) smokey at cold start. I beleive its around 1.4ish now & no smoke at start & not clacky sounding. I'm very happy with the results.

blackdogvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:52   #14
ryanp

Reuben, Did you get toy pump set at a diesel shop so the 'hub' is in the right place for TDC.

I thought i mentioned the AAZ bracket to you, sorry if i mislead you!!

Do you have some more pics of your throttle cable setup as the bottom pic is more VAG than landy!

Ry

Old October 15th, 2010, 13:59   #15
blackdogvan

TDI(s): Mtdi Vanagon
Fuel Economy: 7.2L/100km summer tires - 8.0L/100km winter tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
Reuben, Did you get toy pump set at a diesel shop so the 'hub' is in the right place for TDC.

I thought i mentioned the AAZ bracket to you, sorry if i mislead you!!

Do you have some more pics of your throttle cable setup as the bottom pic is more VAG than landy!

Ry

Ya Giles pressed the hub on so its locks at TDC. On the LR pumps its not hard to figure out though, the woodruff key on the shaft points to the #1 cylinder pump outlet at pump TDC.

The throttle cable setup is from your pal @ Brickwerks & fits under the vanagon engine cover. It'd be easy to bend one I suppose. Throw is setup for the vanagon (T3) throttle cable.

I wouldn't lose any sleep about any bracket info, I figured that one out on my own a few years ago when I started this build.
blackdogvan is offline   Reply With Quote