Clutch for longitudinal TDI in USA

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I am hoping to do some power enhancements very soon on my 1998 Passat TDI with an AHH motor with a 5 speed. I have done a little research into clutches but don't have all the resources to know what to look for, I don't even know all that much about clutches, flywheels, pressure plates, etc.

I am hoping to find a clutch at reasonable cost and availability for my car for when mine starts to slip due to too much torque(if it starts to slip). It is possible that it is one of the LUK clutches that take ~300ft-lbs but I'm not counting on it.

Here are a couple of threads on the subject for european cars:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293731
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=221832

It would be really cool if 1.8t stuff would bolt up.
if stuff doesn't bolt up, I have the tools and access to bigger tools(mills, lathes, etc) to do some mods to it to make everything work so long as I know what I'm doing(I don't yet).

Thanks,
Jon

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
in Europe, the AHH engine has only been fitted with an automatic box...
is does have the 11mm injectionpump as standard !

I have an AVF (130bhp passat 3bg) dualmass flywheel and a Sachs Race Engineering clutch and pressure plate...

http://www.sachsperformance.com/

JW

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I would think its a standard 228mm dual mass flywheel, similar to Audi A4 1.8T. If your looking for 300ft-lbs, there are lots of products that can meet that as just a pressure plate/disk upgrade for 1.8T crowd. If you want to go more, talk to Scott Dewitt, he has a south bend set up that ranges right up to 580ft-lbs and solid mass flywheels. You can also look at the ECS Tunning website under Audi A4 1.8T and get a solid mass flywheel/RS4 Pressure plate set-up (240mm) that will fit 1.8T and TDI.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That would be very cool if a 1.8t clutch would bolt up. I don't plan to go more because the price per ft-lb and hp after 275ft-lbs seems to skyrocket and I want to keep this rare bird alive as long as possible.

speaking of injection pumps, the only # I can find on mine is 829 971 73 3 2 A and a google search doesn't yield anything. A quick search at vagcat.com under 1998 Passat AHH shows it to be an 11mm pump but I don't know how to confirm that on my pump.

Is there any way, short of pulling and attempting to install, to confirm that 1.8t clutch and pressure plates will bolt up?

Thanks,
Jon

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
More details on your 98 B5 TDI please :) How's it holding up to MN winters rust-wise?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
More details are in my sig, click the link.

As far as rust goes, its doing pretty good, the rear left fender has some rust that I will have taken care of when I get the dents pulled and fixed up. Other than that, its looking pretty good.

Jon

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Nice project, good to know it's in loving and capable hands.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks for the help guys, I got a PM from bleachedbora and it sounds like it will be the same as a 1.8t, I have him pricing out the stuff I need.

Thanks.
Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks Scott.

Now that I know that they are available I feel more comfortable about tuning for more torque and if mine starts to slip, I'll have to upgrade.

I think you said the clutch is specific to the DMF so you'd need to know what is in my car to get the right clutch? Would I also need a pressure plate or anything else?

Thanks,
Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I got a part number from Scott for the flywheel I should have on this car, it should be 028105266A. He's not sure if 1.8t clutch parts would fit on it. Do any of you guys have experience with this flywheel and clutches for it?

Thanks,
Jon

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I got a part number from Scott for the flywheel I should have on this car, it should be 028105266A. He's not sure if 1.8t clutch parts would fit on it. Do any of you guys have experience with this flywheel and clutches for it?

Thanks,
Jon
Jon -- I've got a flywheel with the same #'s as that one, and I'm going to send it to southbend and see if they can dig up clutch parts to fit it. I'll also investigate a rumor that a 240mm clutch disk and PP will with this flywheel.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks for checking into that for me. I'm not in a hurry at all for this if you want to just hold onto that until you end up with a 1.8T clutch in your shop.

I'm planning on only replacing it when mine starts to slip from too much torque.

Thanks,
Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I got a response from Spec Clutch. They say that their sv573 stage 3 clutch bolts right up to my flywheel and holds 400ft-lbs of torque.
Its interesting how on their website it says 98-98 Passat TDI
This would mean that all of these would fit up:
http://www.specclutchsuperstore.com....html?osCsid=9dd74109c0be9664d7ac780d97ed0a35

What do you guys think of Spec clutches?
Will my DMF handle this torque over the long run?

Why would all these online stores carry this clutch?

Thanks,
Jon

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Struikie,

You're getting confused with the AVF and AWX clutches.

The AVF engine is the PD130 with 6spd box and more torque and 240mm clutch
The AWX is the PD130 with the 5 spd box, less torque and 228mm clutch.

If you still have a 228mm clutch on your car its the AWX flywheel.
The AVF is the larger 240mm version and requires the matching starter motor for it to work on our AFN (and JFettig's 90bhp) engine.

Also, i'm not 100% sure whether the 240mm flywheel fits into our 5spd bellhousings - i've heard you have to mod the gearbox to get it to fit, so some clarification on this would be good - as I have a 240mm AVF clutch and flywheel in my living room ready to go on my AFN engine if it fits!

Its only different by 6mm radially so can't interfere too much :)

hope this helps