www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 23rd, 2010, 17:42   #31
unpimpZauto

Fuel Economy: no matter how hard I try, I can't get below 40

as promised, here is whats needed to put an immo2 CAN cluster on a 99.5

left is the 919 cluster, middle is the 920 cluster, and right is the modified 920 cluster

Check Engine Light

Glow Plug Light

Airbag Light
PD lift pump in the works

unpimpZauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 18:30   #32
DJGonzo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpimpZauto View Post
as promised, here is whats needed to put an immo2 CAN cluster on a 99.5

left is the 919 cluster, middle is the 920 cluster, and right is the modified 920 cluster

Check Engine Light

Glow Plug Light

Airbag Light
Wow! That is awesome. Looks incredibly easy too.
Thanks.

Does the cluster show any codes on VAGCOM?
DJGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 18:59   #33
unpimpZauto

the only code i get is "no immo coil found". if i added a coil and programmed a chip, there would be no codes at all.

also, the "fun" is in figuring out where all of those components are/should be and where to cut traces and/or remove legs on chips.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 19:00   #34
DJGonzo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpimpZauto View Post
the only code i get is "no immo coil found". if i added a coil and programmed a chip, there would be no codes at all.
Suh-weet! Thanks!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 21:02   #35
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Any of you geniuses ever swap in the new style CTS sensor into a 99.5? (From blue top to green top) I'm having a hard time matching up the old wires to the new style connector (Of course they aren't the same colour scheme, lol)

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:58   #36
unpimpZauto

the PN for the housing that attaches to the new sensor is 4BO 973 712
if you have a terminal release tool, you might be able to swap the wires (pin1->pin1...)
my recommendation, however, would be to buy the housing and 2 repair wires (each wire has 2 terminated ends) and simply splice the wires (still attaching pin1->pin1)

Old September 24th, 2010, 04:19   #37
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta ,97 View Post
There is but I don't think it will work with MFA/FIS Immo3 cluster.
Immo3 cluster gets this info via CAN-BUS.
I wonder if it's capable of working both ways meaning that it can get the data from can-bus or the fuel data wire?

When I get a chance, I may try plugging in my MFA cluster into my 99.5 just to see what would happen.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:31   #38
unpimpZauto

i would STRONGLY reccommend AGAINST connecting the (1-wire) "fuel consumption data" to the (2-wire) CAN input. there are many different communications protocols used in vehicles: ISO xxxx CAN, ISO Jxxx single wire can, LIN, RS-442, IE xxxx...

connecting two data lines together does not guarantee commnication, nor does it guarantee that no electronics will let out their smoke. if you want to assume that the "fuel consumption data" wire is a single wire CAN line, that still doesn't mean that it can be hooked up to a 2-wire can line. the actual CAN wires pass through a "transciever," or level shifter. this splits into a Tx (transmit) and an Rx (recieve) line which then goes to the micro. the transciever for CAN and SWCAN are quite different, due to the actual physical-layer implemented.

in plain english: single wire "fuel consumption data" does not equal CAN for FIS

Old September 24th, 2010, 09:38   #39
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

I never said to connect it to the can wires. Connect it to pin 32 in the green connector which is labeled "fuel consumption signal, open from 05.99 production" in my Bentley.

The big question is whether the cluster will be able to read the data from a 99.5 ECU connected to that pin or will it simply be looking at the can-bus instead.
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:15   #40
DJGonzo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
I never said to connect it to the can wires. Connect it to pin 32 in the green connector which is labeled "fuel consumption signal, open from 05.99 production" in my Bentley.

The big question is whether the cluster will be able to read the data from a 99.5 ECU connected to that pin or will it simply be looking at the can-bus instead.
That is what I plan on doing. And if the cluster can't connect to other modules I can replace them/recode them/flash them to get them talking on CAN-Bus.

Im just short on funds right now and trying to get chipped
Old September 24th, 2010, 15:28   #41
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG 20%hwy,80% citi;48 MPG hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGonzo View Post
That is what I plan on doing. And if the cluster can't connect to other modules I can replace them/recode them/flash them to get them talking on CAN-Bus.

Im just short on funds right now and trying to get chipped
I can assure you the cluster will not connect to other models because I did it my self. I plugged Immo2 and Immo3 cluster on may car and I have all sort of faulty codes all over modules and Christmas tree on instrument cluster.

If you want to get them work on can-bus you need to have wiring harness add or replace. 99.5 does not have same wiring harness same as 2000-2001 0r 2002+. Also 2000-2001 does not have same wiring harness as 2002+ has.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
YES I can Do It ,MK5 Needle Illumination
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 17:07   #42
DJGonzo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta ,97 View Post
I can assure you the cluster will not connect to other models because I did it my self. I plugged Immo2 and Immo3 cluster on may car and I have all sort of faulty codes all over modules and Christmas tree on instrument cluster.

If you want to get them work on can-bus you need to have wiring harness add or replace. 99.5 does not have same wiring harness same as 2000-2001 0r 2002+. Also 2000-2001 does not have same wiring harness as 2002+ has.
Chopping/adding wires does not scare me. I do it on a daily basis
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:36   #43
TDi110
Veteran Member

I have a 99 AHF 110 GOlf, I fitted Immo 3 Full FIS clocks to mine.
Created a circuit to overcome the Airbag light.(Airbag light works as it should.)
Had to re-wire a few of the wires from the Green/Blue 32 pin plugs at the rear.
MFA works as should
Nav info works as should.
The only error I have is the glow plug light, I couldnt be bothered sorting a circuit for this, as the glow plugs still worked as they should. ECU threw a error code as it couldn't see the glowplug light!
Well chuffed with it, illuminated needles, Welcome message. MTE enabled.
Oh and changed the illumination for the clock and Odometer to red and inverted so that all LCD's are like the FIS display.

TDi110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:34   #44
unpimpZauto

Tdi100, isn't that a Passat cluster?

EDIT: just realized that that's a custom cluster front.

Last edited by unpimpZauto; September 25th, 2010 at 05:45.
Old September 25th, 2010, 15:20   #45
DJGonzo
Veteran Member

TDi100, could you share which wires you had to add/change to get FIS working? Thanks.