www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old September 16th, 2010, 21:43   #1
cuiab533

Default Apple iphone app to locate diesel fuel stations

I am aware VW has a website to identify diesel fuel station locations. While browsing the iphone app store, I noticed there is an app that identifies the location of diesel stations on interstate highways.

Has anyone dowloaded the app? If so, do you recommend it?
cuiab533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:24   #2
danham
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

If you mean the app called "Where," I have found it to be the most accurate of any I tried and MUCH better than the woefully out of date and incomplete VW site. "Where" covers a lot more than Interstates, BTW.

An added bonus is good info about motels/hotels and eateries.

-dan
Previous rides: '06 Audi A3 2.0T (traded for JSW); '98 Audi A4 1.8TQ chipped; '92 Corrado VR6; '90 Corrado G-60; '87 GTI 16v; '83 GTI; '77 Diesel Rabbit; '71 Porsche 914-4; '67 Volvo 122S; '66 Porsche 912.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:39   #3
spamlet

I use the GasBuddy app. You can set it to only show diesel stations. I'm not sure how accurate the Where! app is. It shows several restaurants around me that have been closed for years as being open. I've reported them several times to no avail.

Last edited by spamlet; September 17th, 2010 at 10:41.
spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:48   #4
Biffster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

Wow! There are people in the US that actually have difficulty locating stations that carry diesel?

It's literally at every station I've been to here in AL. Now if there were any biodiesel stations my life would be complete!
Biffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 19:08   #5
cuiab533

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
If you mean the app called "Where," I have found it to be the most accurate of any I tried and MUCH better than the woefully out of date and incomplete VW site. "Where" covers a lot more than Interstates, BTW.

-dan
Thank you, the app is iExit Diesel Fuel and its 99 cents in the Apple App Store. It may be worth looking at for that price.

I will search for "Where" also. Good Tip
Old September 17th, 2010, 19:18   #6
cuiab533

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post

-dan
Dan, just downloaded "Where". Looks great! Thanks again. As much as I travel, this will be a big help.
Old September 17th, 2010, 20:04   #7
slash28

Default GasBuddy

I used my GasBuddy app to help an X5 driver running on fumes find a diesel station just last night. It isn't always up-to-date with the latest prices, since it is entirely dependent on user submissions, but it does have an "On Fumes" button that shows you all local stations regardless of price availability. If you set your fuel type preference to diesel, "On Fumes" will only show you stations with diesel. I've become an active submitter for my local stations, and I was able to add a missing station, and update a couple others, once I got off newbie status.
slash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:56   #8
danham
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Wow! There are people in the US that actually have difficulty locating stations that carry diesel?

It's literally at every station I've been to here in AL. Now if there were any biodiesel stations my life would be complete!
It's not so much "difficulty" as convenience and overall trip planning. Obviously I don't use the app to find fuel in my home area.

But on a trip last Feb. to Florida, we used it so that lunch, sightseeing or other stops coordinated nicely with refueling. Given that we prefer blue highways, finding fuel in rural areas, while still not difficult, would be more disorganized without an app such as "Where."

-dan
Previous rides: '06 Audi A3 2.0T (traded for JSW); '98 Audi A4 1.8TQ chipped; '92 Corrado VR6; '90 Corrado G-60; '87 GTI 16v; '83 GTI; '77 Diesel Rabbit; '71 Porsche 914-4; '67 Volvo 122S; '66 Porsche 912.
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:59   #9
danham
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet View Post
I use the GasBuddy app. You can set it to only show diesel stations. I'm not sure how accurate the Where! app is. It shows several restaurants around me that have been closed for years as being open. I've reported them several times to no avail.
The database for businesses, whether it shows up on "Where" or your GPS, is often very out of date. It relies on Yellow Pages, local licensing, and other sometimes contradictory or stale data sources. Luckily, the fuel database in "Where" appears to be independent of that.

-dan
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:19   #10
DaveLinger
Veteran Member

The fuel database in where is updated by users.

---
DaveLinger.com
DaveLinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:49   #11
tcp_ip_dude
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46@75mph/51@60mph/City 38mpg

"Where" stays pretty current w/r/t to fuel stations as it is updated by people posting the fuel prices for the location. If fuel prices aren't updated in a week or so, as I recall, then that location drops off. I use it quite often traveling, locations have all been accurate and fuel prices are within a few cents of posted price. Gasbuddy.com uses a similar model.
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:15   #12
securityguy
Veteran Member

I have been using WHERE for about a year and very accurate and helpful when you're traveling and need to know which stations carry diesel so that you don't waste your time
Old September 21st, 2010, 13:08   #13
numl0ck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

+1 for GasBuddy, set it to show Diesel only.
Old September 21st, 2010, 19:30   #14
funkydrum

TDI(s): Sportwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by numl0ck View Post
+1 for GasBuddy, set it to show Diesel only.
I consistently save $0.10/gal with the app finding close stations with a better price. It appears I'm lucky that many GB users locally updating their DB.
funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 13:27   #15
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

On my recent 7,000 mile trek to PDXFest '10 and back I had no difficulties finding Diesel. Granted, I stuck mostly to interstates, but even on the state highways in Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Colorado, etc I still had no trouble locating fuel.

Every once in a while I'll use the basic map on my iPhone and just search for "Fuel", "Diesel", or "gas station". Obviously not all gas stations have Diesel, but 1 in 4 seems to the ratio I see.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote