Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

RBX

TDI
none
We have the same generation truck, mine is an 88 4Runner.
and i found your thread over on the other Sami board.

maybe i should start a new thread so am not cluttering up Jimbote's thread.

thanks

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
you have a good amount of room, and you only moved it an inch? Is the 1.6 configured differently then the 1.9 or smaller?

I saw that pic before, it is the only one i have seen that runs the exhaust like that.

Now for another question...engine tilt.
This engine is suppose to be tilted 20*? from a schematic i have, it shows 20*.
None of the swaps i have seen have that drastic of a tilt, and it seems i can't find a thread that says what needs to be done to the engine to run it closer to upright. I am guessing that anyamount of passenger tilt you put on this engine increases the turbo(hotness) to starter ratio, and that isn't good...right? I have read that the breather can spew oil if not tilted properly, and that the dipstick will read wrong.
Am i missing something, whats the work around?
It also seems, in my case, that tilting the engine toward the passenger wheel will altimately clock my transfer case in the wrong direction.
thanks for the knowledge.

RB
checked my notes, it was 2". Start a new thread, the more the better. :D

RBX

TDI
none
I'll bet you are getting pretty quick at changing the clutch now.
Once you get the clutch sorted, will we see another video? and if you can do a few 0-60mph romps.
I seriously hope the new clutch fixes your shutter problem!
good luck.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'll bet you are getting pretty quick at changing the clutch now.
Once you get the clutch sorted, will we see another video? and if you can do a few 0-60mph romps.
I seriously hope the new clutch fixes your shutter problem!
good luck.
the slipping clutch I put in solved almost all the shudder issues....so I'm pretty confident this will give me good holding power as well as no shudder....ha ha....I'll do some zero sixty runs :D

imtryin

TDI
smashed up 98 jetta tdi soon to go into a toyota pickup
hey jimbote, any updates? i would love to see a pic of the engine bay now that its put together.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'll try post some pics of the bay this week...although there is a "flyby" in my first drive video :) ....the truck is doing much better now that I installed a brand new flywheel and 1600lb clutch kit ...still needs a new rad (old one is cracked) and a cooling fan before it sees summer heat...I'll try and post some pics this week...been in tex for the mem day weekend and just got back add to that I have two auto>5 speed swaps lined up along with a six speed swap + perf mods and I'm pretty neck deep in other peoples cars for a couple weeks at least...can't wait to get back on the taco as it's gonna be my daily from here on out:D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
engine bay pics...

front overview....notice the small 1/16 AL support bracket bolted to the PS pump for the aluminum upper rad pipe...the pipe just rests on the "L" and is protected by a small square of glued on hose

side overview with my "custom" upper rad hose made from some 1 1/4" OD AL tubing :)

other side view with the still semi chaotic wiring:rolleyes:

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Moe Pics...

detail of the vacuum ball and N75 from the passat B5.5 ...I heated and bent the bracket to fit ...the two mounting holes actually lined up with existing threaded holes on the taco

detail of the vacuum line from the pump to the booster...just a piece of 3/8 steel fuel/brake line bent to fit

detail of one heater hose...it's an off the shelf universal 90 degree from advance auto

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
and yet moe...

vacuum pump to firewall clearance...yes it can be removed :)

my fuel pressure regulator/fuel filter setup....seems to work great...still using the stock intank toy FI pump

and a detail shot thru the drivers apron showing the custom lower rad hose made from the same 1 1/4 OD AL tubing...it's tight but makes a good fit:D

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
just wanted to add that when cutting "custom" rubber radiator hoses I find it very useful to run the "ragged" edge of the newly cut hose on a belt sander to buff and smooth the "ruff cut" ...it gives a more finished look to the assembly :)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
My woodcutting bandsaw does a nice job on hoses. Nice to have one even in a metal shop. Wood blades do fine on aluminum too, a squirt of wd40 makes for a cleaner cut.

Lookin good. How is that front mount holding up?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
My woodcutting bandsaw does a nice job on hoses. Nice to have one even in a metal shop. Wood blades do fine on aluminum too, a squirt of wd40 makes for a cleaner cut.

Lookin good. How is that front mount holding up?
Ha!!...never thought of using a bandsaw for hoses...I'll try that next time...yeah...I already use my radial arm saw with a carbide blade for cutting all sorts of aluminum....makes quick clean work of the soft stuff:D...the front mount is actually holding up fantastic so far over 2200 miles and no problems...although I'm still planning on converting to side mounts ...just want to get all the wiring sorted/cleaned up first

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I wonder if putting a dowel inside a small hose, or a 2x2 in a radiator-type hose would help to cut them cleanly on a bandsaw... might be worth a try.

RBX

TDI
none
^^^turn the blade around backwards, we used to do that when cutting vinyl siding to give a nice clean cut.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
Hey,

what was the fuel pressure regulator you used? I like that idea and I'm going to use that method instead of just gutting the in tank pump. Plus I imagine its way easier to bleed. How much was the regulator? I see a bunch on ebay that were really cheap, wondering if these will work. I scanned your thread but can't find the part on the regulator though I definitely remember it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Hey,

what was the fuel pressure regulator you used? I like that idea and I'm going to use that method instead of just gutting the in tank pump. Plus I imagine its way easier to bleed. How much was the regulator? I see a bunch on ebay that were really cheap, wondering if these will work. I scanned your thread but can't find the part on the regulator though I definitely remember it.
No guarantee that it's diesel/bio resistant....just in case, you'll need to purchase a bypass regulator...one that's used for converting FI cars to carburetor ....I'll pull mine apart in a few thousand miles and check the diaphragm for deterioration ... here it is .... http://innovativediesel.com/i-1317224-holley-fuel-pressure-regulator-15955-nitrous-express.html

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
just in case my regulator is not bio/diesel resistant I'm gonna order one of these....EDIT!! ...OK the 35-1100 is the incorrect part...the part for the above regulator is 35-1200 it's available from summit racing... http://m.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-35-1200 ...or from quick fuel technologies 270.793.0900 ...it's not listed on their website yet so I had to call and order it.... so it looks like GFLT is the same thing as Viton? ...ok just found an interesting chart for various grades of viton :) .... http://www.pspglobal.com/nfvitongrades.html

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
My wife and I were talking about wanting to replace our 1997 tacoma that we got rid of with 330k miles 2 years ago. We agree that we like the older tacomas (1996-2005) more than the current model. With that being said she gave me the nod to start a 4dr ALH Tacoma as my next project that will take forever to see the light of day. The Corrado TDI project concept that I have now was hatched back in 2001 (before the ALH corrado)and took 10 years for me to pull off the way I wanted. The cool part is that there is so much more information available about completed RWD/AWD/4x4 swaps.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
My wife and I were talking about wanting to replace our 1997 tacoma that we got rid of with 330k miles 2 years ago. We agree that we like the older tacomas (1996-2005) more than the current model. With that being said she gave me the nod to start a 4dr ALH Tacoma as my next project that will take forever to see the light of day. The Corrado TDI project concept that I have now was hatched back in 2001 (before the ALH corrado)and took 10 years for me to pull off the way I wanted. The cool part is that there is so much more information available about completed RWD/AWD/4x4 swaps.
Ha!!... maybe I'll be sick of tinkering on this one by the time your tacoma project rolls around and you can just take over!!:D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
vehicle speed sensor....

I'm working on getting a functioning cruise control and part of that includes having a speed sensor signal to the ecm.... I've connected the speed signal output from the cluster of the tacoma to the signal input of the ALH ecm....although I have a readout in vagcom the reading is erratic and can rapidly vary by as much as 15mph higher or lower than my steady state speed....the tacomas speed sensor appears to be a small inductive pickup that runs off the speedo head magnet ...any electronic gurus have any suggestions?...EDIT....doing some research and it looks like I need a signal conditioner to convert the "dirty" sine wave of the speed sensor to a "clean" square wave for the ecm.... I know dakota digital makes a signal converter but looking for something I may be able to fab up...

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Bit the bullet!

Jimbote, you may as well purchase the Dakot Digital! .....bit the bullet! I did!

Gees! I've purchased a lot of things I didn't need, couldn't use, didn't want to use, thought it was something I could use, etc............... I will not count all that STUFF toward my final cost!:D

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Ha!!... maybe I'll be sick of tinkering on this one by the time your tacoma project rolls around and you can just take over!!:D
I'd have to take your drivetrain and swap it into a 4dr, I'm thinking I might use an Audi AWD (maybe S4) transmission and weld up the center diff gears. Then I don't have to fight the transmission, flywheel, starter and other misc pieces.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jimbote, you may as well purchase the Dakot Digital! .....bit the bullet! I did!

Gees! I've purchased a lot of things I didn't need, couldn't use, didn't want to use, thought it was something I could use, etc............... I will not count all that STUFF toward my final cost!:D
I may just have to do that....I have another idea that may just work but it involves the TDI speed sensor that has a conditioning circuit built right in :)....I just need an electronics guru to point me in the right direction for soldering...I'll post pics of the cut up sensor tonight

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'd have to take your drivetrain and swap it into a 4dr, I'm thinking I might use an Audi AWD (maybe S4) transmission and weld up the center diff gears. Then I don't have to fight the transmission, flywheel, starter and other misc pieces.
may work but you'll lose the dual range tcase....the actual trans/starter issue is really not that big of deal, acme kit and modified bell (if you use the 3rz 2.0 kw starter)....the biggest issues I'm seeing are wiring and plumbing!!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My goal is for just a rwd(2wd) 4dr. I found the plumbing to be fun on my alh corrado. The wiring is what I'm concerned about. I'm really hoping that vw or toyota will import a diesel 4dr before I start.