www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 9th, 2011, 15:51   #16
edjet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43-47

I remove the collar with a power steering pump two jaw puller, and I put a "C" Clamp on the jaws to increase the grip.

I move the jaws to the narrower flats on the block to gain a little better grip.

Last edited by BKmetz; August 10th, 2011 at 16:04.
edjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:43   #17
andras22

I've done this both ways - I also remove the whole column if I have to change the heater core. Removing the column is easy - that is what I recommend. I don't even remove the steering wheel and the switches from the column!
andras22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 14:44   #18
acoustictdi

Fuel Economy: 46 average

Does any one know if a ignition switch can cause a problem with the computer going into limp mode? My 1998 jetta will run perfect if the turbo is woking, until I shut the engine off.Then restart and boost will be gone,2 weeks later it will have boost again,until I shut it off.Does anyone have a idea what might cause this .
acoustictdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 18:30   #19
edjet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43-47
Default any codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustictdi View Post
Does any one know if a ignition switch can cause a problem with the computer going into limp mode? My 1998 jetta will run perfect if the turbo is woking, until I shut the engine off.Then restart and boost will be gone,2 weeks later it will have boost again,until I shut it off.Does anyone have a idea what might cause this .
Have you replaced the small hose in the ECU? Usually a code will be set, something in regards to ECU faulty.

Ed
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:51   #20
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Quote:
This doesn't sound like a ignition switch to me. I haven't seen any issue like you describe - turbo working fine for a while, then with key-off and -on, it no longer boosts. Have you had it scanned? That's where I would start.
Old December 6th, 2011, 13:20   #21
acoustictdi

Default boost no boost

I have change every hose including the ecm jumper,smoke tested ok.The car runs perfect when it starts with boost it will run allday,turn it off, then restart, there will be no boost.It might be a week before it comes back.thanks for the input! Man do I like this car when I have boost.
Old December 6th, 2011, 13:30   #22
rdkern
Veteran Member

No boost is either wastegate stuck open, or ecu issue cutting the fuel.

I can't see how the wastegate could be the problem since it's normally closed, and just opens when needed by the ecu. So one would expect it to be stuck closed if stuck at all.

Which brings us to the ecu. You say there is no boost at all when restarted - not even for a first acceleration? Do you have access to VCDS? If so, check for codes, and check the MAF readings.

I don't see how the off/on would affect the boost. I can see an irregular electrical thing (wire held together with the insulation, making contact sometimes and not others) but can't see how that would be triggered with an off/on of the key.

You've never lost boost while driving? It's either there when you start up or it's not?
Old December 7th, 2011, 19:02   #23
acoustictdi

Yea that's correct,never lose boost when it starts out that way,but if I start the car and have no boost it will not come back while driving,I never have boost for a short period of time,it's either there and runs great until I shut it off,or won't be there and won't come back for weeks.Check engine light is on the whole time,working or not.The egr has block-off plates installed.Only codes are the N109 fuel shut off valve mechanical malfunction #1237,575 pressure control difference ,#560 egr,1050 glow plug lost23 static,P1550 intake manifold absolute pressure 121.0 kPaA at 2862 rpm/min.These reading were taken with boost not working.Since then i have cleaned intake that was not clogged,smoke tested,cleaned turbo,replaced n75,cleaned all electrical connectors,replaced all vacuum hoses,boost gauge pressure at turbo output when not working is appox.5-7 psi at 3500 rpm.Thanks in advance ps I don't have access to vag-com yet!
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:08   #24
rdkern
Veteran Member

Do you have access to another MAF? I'm wondering if the connector on the MAF is flaky.
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:49   #25
acoustictdi

I don't that would be to easy!I have cleaned the pins in the female side,the first time the turbo boost worked was when I cleaned the connector at the maf,but it didn't last,I tried to take the maf connector apart but was afraid I'd break the plastic housing.Not many 1998 tdi's in this area,thanks for the help!
Old December 16th, 2011, 20:22   #26
jw5714

TDI(s): 98 Jetta TDI

Quote:
I have change every hose including the ecm jumper,smoke tested ok.The car runs perfect when it starts with boost it will run allday,turn it off, then restart, there will be no boost.It might be a week before it comes back.thanks for the input! Man do I like this car when I have boost.
Having similiar issues with my 98 jetta. when i first got it, turbo would cut off at highway speeds. I replaced the hoses and it worked better, but still cut off. After months of driving, I discovered the turbo only cuts off after I restart it when the engines warm. Weirdest thing. i drove it for 8 hours straight turbo never failed. But can run to town, turn it off. get back in and goes in limp mode @ highway speed. But mine comes back after the engine cools.

Im on this forum because my headlights/wiper/blower just started cutting out. I'll deal with the turbo this spring, but the headlight thing kinda freaks me out.
jw5714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 19:57   #27
TDIswanted

VW has a recall on some of these ignition switches, for sure on my 1996 passat. might be worth checking out while your at the dealer anyway to buy a switch, you might get it installed for free.
TDIswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:26   #28
DieselFan1984
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Stock 36-43

Okay, I was wondering would it be a simple plug and play deal if you upgraded with the newer style flip keep and remote?
DieselFan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:12   #29
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIswanted View Post
VW has a recall on some of these ignition switches, for sure on my 1996 passat. might be worth checking out while your at the dealer anyway to buy a switch, you might get it installed for free.
Would the recall still be viable 16 years later?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:34   #30
chrisvb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1.9 jetta

thanks guys for all the good ideas , i managed to change the switch within an hour due to all your input and ideas.
chrisvb is offline   Reply With Quote