Air leak sound 06

splitpile

TDI
2012 TDI Passat SE/nav
Sorry to sound dumb, but new to the TDI thing even though I've owned an air cooled VW shop/store for 20 years.

I just got a 06 TDI and at idle there is a air leak sound, the sound increases during acceleration then stops and feels like the turbo really kicked in. Car seems to run and drive fine, the sound bothers me and my wife complaoned about diesel smell in the car.

Thanks in advance to any or all that might have some insight to this issue.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Sorry to sound dumb, but new to the TDI thing even though I've owned an air cooled VW shop/store for 20 years.

I just got a 06 TDI and at idle there is a air leak sound, the sound increases during acceleration then stops and feels like the turbo really kicked in. Car seems to run and drive fine, the sound bothers me and my wife complaoned about diesel smell in the car.

Thanks in advance to any or all that might have some insight to this issue.

You may want to lift the vehicle, pull the engine cover, and check the egr cooler at the flapper actuator area for black soot. The silver heat shield with snap buttons will most likely be sooted up as well. If it is, you will need to replace the whole egr cooler assembly. A real PITA if you haven't done one in the past. I once had a split boost pipe o-ring off the compressor side right off the connection to the turbo that gave a very similar whooshing sould as the egr leak does. There was, of course, blow-by oil surrounding this connection which gives you a clear diagnosis of this. Good luck and keep us posted when you find out what's up. Later!

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hi Harvieux,

I am having a very similar issue. Would you mind taking a look at my post and giving your opinion?

I can't determine if the issue is with EGR cooler valve or a gasket. You mentioned that the snap button heat shield material would be sooted up. I believe mine is, but it is also ripped to shreds as if being blasted by a fast air stream.

Thanks a lot.

Here is my post:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=292847

You may want to lift the vehicle, pull the engine cover, and check the egr cooler at the flapper actuator area for black soot. The silver heat shield with snap buttons will most likely be sooted up as well. If it is, you will need to replace the whole egr cooler assembly. A real PITA if you haven't done one in the past. I once had a split boost pipe o-ring off the compressor side right off the connection to the turbo that gave a very similar whooshing sould as the egr leak does. There was, of course, blow-by oil surrounding this connection which gives you a clear diagnosis of this. Good luck and keep us posted when you find out what's up. Later!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
One trick that might help is using a length of garden hose as a stethoscope to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

splitpile

TDI
2012 TDI Passat SE/nav
I'm going to get it up on my lift and see what I can see.

Will it cause and engine problems?

splitpile

TDI
2012 TDI Passat SE/nav
Well, I got the car up on my hoist and found that the EGR valve was leaking. Can I replace just the egr valve or do I have to change it and the cooler also. Anybody know any good sources for this part besides the dealer. The vendor list seems very outdated.

Here's a video I found on the net of the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SOXHqo3Njs

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
worldimpex.com

I'm doing mine next weekend.

Here are the parts I ordered:

http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=4831 x 2
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=552844
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=261234
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=849646 (optional... heat shield boot.. mine is shredded)

Well, I got the car up on my hoist and found that the EGR valve was leaking. Can I replace just the egr valve or do I have to change it and the cooler also. Anybody know any good sources for this part besides the dealer. The vendor list seems very outdated.
Here's a video I found on the net of the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SOXHqo3Njs

splitpile

TDI
2012 TDI Passat SE/nav

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
it seems like every 05.5-06 tdi is suddenly having this problem. Ours did this same thing, it was the EGR cooler. About $600-700 to replace.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm starting to have this issue as well and its slowly getting worse. I'm planning on getting tuned and just putting block off plates in.

splitpile

TDI
2012 TDI Passat SE/nav
Ordered the egr/radiator, gaskets and the heat boot from the dealer, same money/or less, as anyone on-line. Dealers must of lowered their prices knowing it's a common replacement part now, or I just got lucky :rolleyes:
Now just to wait till the timing kit (ESC Tuning), timing tool kit (Diesel geek) and the egr stuff show up so I can get this car back on the road. Being a used and a not complete records, I decided to do all the maintainance on it before any issues.

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Dealership prices must vary.

I got all the parts for the cost of just the EGR cooler at the dealership including shipping.

Congrats on the great deal!

Ordered the egr/radiator, gaskets and the heat boot from the dealer, same money/or less, as anyone on-line. Dealers must of lowered their prices knowing it's a common replacement part now, or I just got lucky :rolleyes:
Now just to wait till the timing kit (ESC Tuning), timing tool kit (Diesel geek) and the egr stuff show up so I can get this car back on the road. Being a used and a not complete records, I decided to do all the maintainance on it before any issues.

Rattler05.5

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5m; For sale
it seems like every 05.5-06 tdi is suddenly having this problem. Ours did this same thing, it was the EGR cooler. About $600-700 to replace.
Apparently so! I am not getting any sound rushing noise but am wondering if I too have a bad EGR cooler. Any disadvantage to doing the block off plate and being gone with the cooler? With a tune, the MIL will be gone. I have read of the heater not coming as fast, is that the only downside?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I just replaced mine, same symptoms as everyone else has been stating.

155k miles.

Was just shy of $600 Cdn installed. Not at the dealer.

DCR

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Any disadvantage to doing the block off plate and being gone with the cooler? With a tune, the MIL will be gone. I have read of the heater not coming as fast, is that the only downside?

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

splitpile

TDI
2012 TDI Passat SE/nav
Finally finished the job. Thank GOD I have a lift and a ton of tools. This job was a PITA and I don't see how it could be done with-out a lot of different tools. It seemed easy but there is so much stuff that needs to be moved/removed, etc. in order to get the egr/cooler out and back in and not a lot of room to do it in.. DIRTY job as the egr has been leaking for a while it appears. A block off would have been a lot easier and cheaper, but I just wanted to keep things stock. Now on to the timing belt and trans fluid change and I'll be good for another 40K.

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Congrats!

It is a major PITA. I felt the same way, too, about the block off... attach plates and get a coupler for the coolant. done.

Oh well, next time... cuz I'm sure there will be a next time.:(

Finally finished the job. Thank GOD I have a lift and a ton of tools. This job was a PITA and I don't see how it could be done with-out a lot of different tools. It seemed easy but there is so much stuff that needs to be moved/removed, etc. in order to get the egr/cooler out and back in and not a lot of room to do it in.. DIRTY job as the egr has been leaking for a while it appears. A block off would have been a lot easier and cheaper, but I just wanted to keep things stock. Now on to the timing belt and trans fluid change and I'll be good for another 40K.

C12H231

TDI
I'd like to know the answer to this too.
Disadvantages are, loss of in-city mileage (~20%) and a "lurchy" throttle response. No difference in warm up time, but I'm in socal.

Replaced the cooler this weekend as well. Dirty and a real PITA job. Having read how difficult it was to replace the cooler, I made a block off plate and purchased a tune several months ago. But after 9000 miles I decided to replace it. Prior to the leak I was averaging 41mpg but after adding the plate, mileage have been fluctuating between mid to low 30s. Just sucked the fun out of owning a diesel.

Price from 1stvwparts.com was $239+sh.

Rattler05.5

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5m; For sale
So why would using fresh, clean air instead of exhaust return poorer economy? Could it just be the fun factor of having a tune?

I don't understand how removing that pipe and cooler could lower your economy. Anyone else getting the same results?

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Disadvantages are, loss of in-city mileage (~20%) and a "lurchy" throttle response. No difference in warm up time, but I'm in socal.

Replaced the cooler this weekend as well. Dirty and a real PITA job. Having read how difficult it was to replace the cooler, I made a block off plate and purchased a tune several months ago. But after 9000 miles I decided to replace it. Prior to the leak I was averaging 41mpg but after adding the plate, mileage have been fluctuating between mid to low 30s. Just sucked the fun out of owning a diesel.

Price from 1stvwparts.com was $239+sh.

I can't seem to find that part listed there. Any help? Thanks.

DCR

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

epon

TDI
'06 TDI
Does anyone have a tool list for the egr cooler R&R? Looks like a 12 point t50 for one of the fittings when I look under the car.

AZTDIROB

TDI
2006 Jetta
would a symptom of this problem include an oil leak at/near the driver rear wheel? I too have a hissing sound that comes on shortly after starting the car (2-3 minutes).

AZTDIROB

TDI
2006 Jetta
I put the car in the shop today; they should let me know what the problem is soon.

jettajunky13

TDI
2006 VW Jetta
Has anyone had any issues after installing the block off plate with a horrible whistle. It is like a reed, and gets worse as I accelerate. It is intolerable. Any suggestions??

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Yeah I had the exact same issue. I ended up welding on the block off plate to the exhaust manifold and stopped it. You can try the liquid gasket stuff ontop of the paper one but I'm not sure it will withstand the heat

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2