www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 20th, 2010, 06:20   #61
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Getting ready to replace the water pump on my B4 this Thursday. First water pump leaked and was replaced under warranty, had the timing belt done at 28K at the same time (early), since it had to come off anyway. New (not rebuilt) water pump just spun the shaft with only 8K on it, so I'm going to do this one myself and save the $350. I might as well learn how to do the timing belt since I'm going to have the car for a long time.

Also doing the timing belt on my brother's '96 B4, possibly this Friday. Doing a front wheel bearing tonight, and he bought a hydraulic press because locating one to use was a pain.

Will keep everyone informed.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 19:20   #62
veggieman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf
Fuel Economy: 50

Installed a new one of these:

veggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:26   #63
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

Glad you caught that problem part!

When I replaced mine, it was leaking from the o-ring gland. Thankfully, G12 leaves a pronounced stain when exposed to air, at operating temperature, and I was able to find exactly where it was leaking from.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:23   #64
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Where did you buy the replacement and what did it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieman View Post
Installed a new one of these:

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:56   #65
veggieman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf
Fuel Economy: 50

This started with an o-ring leak, but then came apart. I'm not sure why it blew where it did, but...

Actually there was a new spare in the trunk when I bought the car, so I didn't need to buy a new one.
veggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:22   #66
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

dieseljunkie: I happen to have an extra one of these water outlets @ home!
Let me know, I would be happy to send it to you for a lesser price and it would save me storing another part!
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 16:48   #67
BolaB4V
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's to over 50 hwy..

-Installed some good fog dummys-siliconed around a ground I spliced and soldered to prevent the new directional socket from corroding again-installled rear dr. side interior light(more light!)-3M taped my Passat badge on rear gate, (has been missing for over a year) now the mechanics wont have to ask what kind of VW it is.
BolaB4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 17:12   #68
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Replaced the dome light / overhead console. Yeah, now I can see at night..so I thought. Now the rotten pin switch on the drivers door needs to be replaced. Oh, well, it's a hobby car, right?

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 19:26   #69
bonham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgink View Post
Work on the Interior swap for I-Red continued with the recovered headliner install. I'm not having any luck at all finding pre-molded carpet for the B4 or any other Passat for that matter via Yahoo search. Does anyone have any leads?

How did you recover your headliner and what did you use?
bonham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:06   #70
Mcgink
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham123 View Post
How did you recover your headliner and what did you use?
I brought The board to Art's Seat Cover in Brockton and they recovered it for me for $130. That included the sunshade for the moonroof as well. He would also be able to get the fabric for you if you prefer to DIY
Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 17:46   #71
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta View Post
Clean the grounds near the battery, as well as the main engine ground. File or sandpaper will work fine. Coat with either dielectric grease or noalux before reassembly. Either one will prevent oxidation.

Tony
Looked at the grounds today. The two small ones near the washer bottle looked like new - bright copper. Pulled the main ground to the block, looked good, but polished it with 220 wet/dry paper till it looked great. Bolted everything down, reinstalled the battery with clean posts and terminals. Measured battery voltage while it was out - 12.90 volts. So it is well charged. Started it up, drove half a mile, stopped and restarted. Still have the same problem: Clock resets to 1:00, trip odometer resets to zero, hatch/trunk open led still flashes. About the same time this started, when I lock the door from outside, only the drivers door locks.

Any suggestions?
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 20:49   #72
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

I hear that the cigarette lighter may something to do with the fusing here...(?)
Mine also has the same malady!
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 22:05   #73
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof View Post
I hear that the cigarette lighter may something to do with the fusing here...(?)
Is your cigarette lighter plugged in? I removed mine long ago. Still could be the circuit...
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:05   #74
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Looked at the grounds today. The two small ones near the washer bottle looked like new - bright copper.
You can't just look at the grounds...You have to remove them and clean them, like you did on the main engine grounds. Make sure you use either dielectric grease or noalux to prevent or slow down future corrosion.

Tony
Old September 24th, 2010, 17:00   #75
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof View Post
Did a search for "Cigarette" and found a number of problems solved by replacing fuse S21. Just checked S21 when I got home. Still no good, so back to square 0ne.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; September 25th, 2010 at 07:02.