www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:04   #46
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Not my B4 but my co-worker Mike and I swapped out the original stock nozzles for a set of PP520s I had in bodies from my race car. His car was low on power (even considering it is stock) and smoked more than it should. He backed out of the drive and was surprised to chirp the tires starting out in first without trying.

Set the IQ to 2.4, car runs smooth, no smoke, and the power bump is, shall we say, significant.
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:09   #47
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Not my B4 but my co-worker Mike and I swapped out the original stock nozzles for a set of PP520s I had in bodies from my race car. His car was low on power (even considering it is stock) and smoked more than it should. He backed out of the drive and was surprised to chirp the tires starting out in first without trying.

Set the IQ to 2.4, car runs smooth, no smoke, and the power bump is, shall we say, significant.
What ECU is he running? I have a spare set of later bodies I wanted to put PP520's in, as I like them in my Jetta, but wasn't sure if the earlier ECU would like the higher primary pop-pressures of the later bodies.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:30   #48
ed mocz
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1997 Passat
Fuel Economy: 52 best, 50 avg

Redid the headliner.
ed mocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:12   #49
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Just put in two lower balljoints, as the right side was developing some play.

Two, because one is silly.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:43   #50
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
What ECU is he running? I have a spare set of later bodies I wanted to put PP520's in, as I like them in my Jetta, but wasn't sure if the earlier ECU would like the higher primary pop-pressures of the later bodies.
He's running the BK, the early one. The higher pop pressure didn't seem to matter, timing is still right near the top of the graph.

I plan to mount some Sprint 520s in his bodies and make sure they're all good, and then we'll swap out the PP520s. He's planning on getting a tune, too. I have a GQ ecu with no chips in it we may try out, although I had a great experience with a chipped BK in my B4V.
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:41   #51
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

IBW, any other mods to your friends' engine? How many miles on the clutch? I'm considering Sprints or PP520, but I have a stock clutch with 175k on it.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:50   #52
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

No other mods. Clutch is, AFAIK, original. I do think with a chip and Sprints it's likely to slip after 170K. But maybe not. The older cars' clutches are more robust.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:56   #53
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
No other mods. Clutch is, AFAIK, original. I do think with a chip and Sprints it's likely to slip after 170K. But maybe not. The older cars' clutches are more robust.
Yup, chip and larger nozzles will slip. Passat clutch is good with one, pick your poison.
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:41   #54
Mcgink
Veteran Member

Work on the Interior swap for I-Red continued with the recovered headliner install. I'm not having any luck at all finding pre-molded carpet for the B4 or any other Passat for that matter via Yahoo search. Does anyone have any leads?

Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 13:19   #55
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Tony, Passat clutches, some hold, some don't.

From a recent turbo upgrade thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
It really depends on your clutch. When I had 200k miles, I had a k03/k04 turbo, pp764's (.230um?), idparts downpipe, 2.5exhaust, fmic with 2.5 pipes, malone tune, and it did not slip.

I moved to a gt2056v from a jeep, with race520's a bit of smoke and it did not slip. Would that have lasted? I doubt it. When I got the clutch changed The springs on the 230k mile clutch were about to let loose, but the clutch face still had plenty of life left. my stock Luk clutch did me well, but you won't know if you got a Luk in there or not.

So, on b4/a3 clutches, ymmv on if it slips with the mods or not. But if you got some miles, just be ready for a replacement, you can't ask for TOO much now =)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=luk

you'll never know till you try Tony =)
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 13:29   #56
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
you'll never know till you try Tony =)
Yeah, I'll have to put it off until we get more money coming in. Can't quite afford nozzles, much less a clutch!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
Old September 19th, 2010, 15:27   #57
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Put the tailgate latch back in and still have the tailgate open alarm LED on the dash. and still have the cluster clock being reset each time I turn on the engine.

Finally remembered the VagCom. I have one error - Air Bag low intermittent B+ voltage. So I guess it is time to measure the voltage from the battery and all the way to the cluster,
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 15:53   #58
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Finally remembered the VagCom. I have one error - Air Bag low intermittent B+ voltage. So I guess it is time to measure the voltage from the battery and all the way to the cluster,
Clean the grounds near the battery, as well as the main engine ground. File or sandpaper will work fine. Coat with either dielectric grease or noalux before reassembly. Either one will prevent oxidation.

Tony
Old September 19th, 2010, 16:25   #59
BolaB4V
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's to over 50 hwy..

Drove for first time in two weeks. Things done on down time:
-Remove front clip to get at slave fan belt.
-repalce with better bumper and b/assemby - paint bumper and surround
-repair and replace clips, tabs along the way (15 yr old cars dont like to be reassembled over and over) mostly the grill, moved the fr. tdi badge to proper location in the grill
-right head light repair - cracked socket, and adjust beams and hood latch
-buy another wheel, fog dummys and fr. directional socket
-upholtery shampoo the front seats
BolaB4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 16:48   #60
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

It's in the A3 Cabrio, but it has B4 content:
I stripped down a B4 GLX driver's seat for the bottom pan and the height and rake adjustability. I transferred the A3 bottom foam and leather and the forward fold seat back to the B4 pan
Now I have the same "barca-lounger", front up / back down, seat position that I so liked from the B4s.

I'm pondering the feasibility of transferring the B4 lumbar adjust back to the A3 seat. My concern is the cables for the A3 fold-forward release interfering with the lumbar adjustment gearing.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote