The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
It is no longer a myth, it does exist. I drove it home last night.

According to the myth, the front seat was chewed up from the auto show:

Here is a thread that talks about either this one, or the other one.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=125610

I've got lots more pictures I can post later.
It needs a serious cleaning. I am hoping to find a whole new interior for it.

Jon

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nice find! A little TLC should get it looking pretty nice. :cool:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Very cool! Thanks for posting the pictures of the fabled car. Welcome aboard!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, maybe now Fred will get around to correctly naming the Passat TDI forums since there are officially B5 and B5.5 diesels in NAmerica! :)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Looks like it has an AHU engine? What does the timing belt cover say?

-J
One friend who's done some looking around thinks its a 1z, I can't find the engine code anywhere. Where on the t-belt cover would the code be?

I forgot to post this, check out my awesome passenger side mirror:

Oh yeah, don't knock the seat covers, they came with it and I'm gonna sport them until I find new seats for this guy.

Jon

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I didn't see anything on the TB cover (and don't on the picture)... Jon did a little gunk scraping and I swear I recall seeing 5xxxx1z (number of Xs and 5 debatable) stamped right behind the TB cover on the engine and below the lift point.

Seat covers are hawt.

VW-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Winnebago Rialta TDI/5-speed conversion, '93 Eurovan Weekender 2.5TDI/5-speed conversion
:) Wow!!! Rarest TDI in United States... And believe it or not it appear on KBB 1998 VW Passat (option TDI sedan). And I checked Blue book price for 98 Passat 1.8T and compared price with KBB 98 Passat TDI - price is double for TDI....
Good luck new owner!!!!!!!!!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I didn't see anything on the TB cover (and don't on the picture)... Jon did a little gunk scraping and I swear I recall seeing 5xxxx1z (number of Xs and 5 debatable) stamped right behind the TB cover on the engine and below the lift point.

Seat covers are hawt.

The number you think you saw isn't the number you think you saw. still looking.

And thanks for the kind welcomes :)

Jon

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jon, this car is fitted with a proper transmission, right? how is the overall performance? Does the car have the standard underhood (and door jamb) stickers you'd see on a USA car?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Where did you find it? Did the seller know what he had? Where did they get it?

I don't suppose its a standard...?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I haven't looked at all of the stickers yet, I'll take a look. There isn't one on the tb cover anymore.

I actually found this on craigslist, a random "TDI" search, amazing price.

The tranny is a 5 speed, it should be the proper tranny, its the stock one that came with the car I'd assume and the performance is what I'd expect from a 1.9TDI.
The VIN shows that it is a TDI: WVWMG63B9WE225140

Jon

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Ok someone want to fill me in on what a B5 is and why this car is rare? None of the pics are loading for me either.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There were only 2 (3 if the VW database is to be believed) of these legally imported into North America.
But then, the VW database has all three listed as "GLX" trim level.

JFettig, Could you look under the carpeting in the trunk, to see if there is a factory build sticker still there? It might be in the spare tire well. I'd be interested on knowing the engine code, gearbox code and if the car is indeed GLX or if it's GLS or GL.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ok someone want to fill me in on what a B5 is and why this car is rare? None of the pics are loading for me either.
B5 is 1998 to 2001.5 Passats, the first smoothed out(not boxy) Passat body style. They did a facelift mid 2001 and had more TDIs in 2004 and 2005 I believe were the years.

I just got to work, I'll take a look when I'm on break or after work for the

I'm not sure which trim level it has, it has the older lower level radio and climate control(not climatronic) and leather interior but no power seats. Its definitely a downgrade from my '00 GLX but not too much(not considering the condition the interior is in).

Jon

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The story goes that they were going to bring in this model for NAmerican consumption as a logical follow up to the B4 diesels. Rumor has it that they pulled the plug at the last minute due to "managements'" concern about unfavorable NVH and lack of power in this heavier next gen Passat.

Jon, when you're motoring about in this semi-unique car, does the power seem adeqauate?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I rode in a B5.5 TDI and its less power than that. I also drove a Jetta TDI with a 1.9 and that was completely gutless, I have a feeling that the turbo was shot or something.
Mine definitely has adequate power. I suppose I could plug in my obd2 computer connector and run the "dyno" program on it and see what it spits out. It tells me that my 2.8 runs about 112hp(calculated based off of acceleration, weight and drag coefficient). It definitely makes my 2.8 seem like a powerful engine ;)

Its not bad, especially after I vacuumed a pound of sand out of the snow screen area and changed the air filter which was nasty!

So its got 140300 miles on it and the t-belt was changed at 82,800 miles I believe. I'll get one on order shortly.

Jon

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The TB job on this car looks like a pleasure compared to the others!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
It almost looks like it could be done without even putting it into service position but I probably will.

Does anyone know what size threaded rod is required for service position? Is it M8? Whats the standard length people usually make them? I might just turn some up on the lathe.

Jon

VW-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Winnebago Rialta TDI/5-speed conversion, '93 Eurovan Weekender 2.5TDI/5-speed conversion
Yes, as Lug Nut said look in the trunk under carpeting or under spare wheel or spare wheel well (somewhere where), there must be white color paper sticker and on the sticker usually all car info: Engine/tranny codes, exterior/interior paint codes, VIN and some other great stuff...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Everything I can find on it points to a 90hp engine, Its a 5 speed manual and 140,300 miles. I'll check in the trunk when I get a chance.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
See an AHH engine code anywhere?

We got a winner!

I looked in the trunk, saw nothing with any information. I went to Schmells on 36 and they tried to look it up.. no 1.9 TDI, so I give them the VIN number and I got all kinds of info, its tucked away in the car and I'll scan it next week.

The engine is an AHH, Tranny is a DHL, Finaldrive Ident 5S, Interior trim code: YZ, roof color N4.
According to the printout, its a GLS Saloon.
Its got a whole list of "PR Numbers" which I assume are the options/features. Thats what I'll scan at work next week.

Jon

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Cool! compu_85 is telling me that the AHH is basically a 90 hp AFN, or another way to look at it is it's an AHU with a VNT turbo. (At least he thinks so ;)).

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Well, Greengeeker looked at it today, we're going to have to figure out which parts I need, I have part numbers for a few items but not all of them. Any idea what motor mounts I'd need? I'm going to likely have to get really dirty and pull them out or something just to hope to read part numbers, I really hope they're not going to have to be imported.

I got my engine bay steam washed, its looking better!

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Nick,

Do I need to fab up any custom tools for the job? You mentioned that the lock pin for the pump is about 5/8"? I can stick a caliper in there and measure the hole and whip something up, how tight does it need to be?

Here are a couple things I found:
http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/A3-TimingBelt/
A member in Croatia with an AHH 98 Passat
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=263816
t-belt (unknown brand)
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/german-timing-belt_6394.html
tensioner (again, unknown brand)
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-tensroller_75717.html

Jon