www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 17th, 2010, 15:09   #1
EOTS

Default Aux Fuel Pump Failure (Formerly:HPFP Failure!)

The main fuel pump on my '09 Jetta TDI (with only 15,000 miles on the clock) went dead while waiting for the lights to turn green at a major intersection during afternoon rush hour about two weeks ago. Strangely enough, the "check engine" never came on. Instead, all the idiot lights came on as if I had stalled the engine.

I cranked the motor 5 to 6 times without any luck in getting the motor to turn over! It did not sound like there was any fuel going to the engine at all! The battery was strong and the starter was doing its job.

Anyway, I had it towed to the nearest VW dealership which, luckily, was only about 5 miles away.

I got a call from the service department after lunch the next day saying that my car is ready to be picked up. Wow, that was fast!

They ended up replacing both the main and auxilliary pumps, the fuses for both pumps plus they replaced the fuel filter as well (just in case, I guess!). Finally, they "reflashed" or "reset" the computer. I hate to imagine what the bill would tally up to be if my car was off warranty! I don't want to know!

I invite TDI club members to share their opinions and experience on the subject (or issue!) of HPFP failure on TDI's. Is this a common problem with the CRD TDI's?

Thank you in advance for sharing your comments with me.

EOTS

Last edited by EOTS; August 20th, 2010 at 09:42.
EOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 15:19   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Glad they fixed it for you. Sounds like the experience wasn't too bad, overall.

Curious that they didn't replace the fuel tank, injectors, etc... I thought that was pretty common when the pump failed. Perhaps it didn't send out the signature shrapnel and ended up suffering from another failure method that was less catastrophic.

Anyway, cheers and happy dieseling!
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 15:30   #3
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

That does not sound like the usual symptoms (or repairs) for a HPFP that self-destructs. I would be curious as to the part numbers they replaced. A 2009+ TDI actually has three fuel pumps and as you described it they only replaced two. I am curious which two. Anyway, I glad they got it up and running in one day for you (this also in unusual for an HPFP failure).

Good Luck!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 15:48   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

EOTS,

Welcome! Please do some reading here as this has been discussed to death and you really should be knowledgeable about it. It would help others if you could post your work ticket showing part numbers and diagnosis. Hope all is well for you now.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 15:51   #5
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Does not sound like they replaced the HPFP. Must have been the other pumps acting up??
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 16:07   #6
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
EOTS,

Welcome! Please do some reading here as this has been discussed to death and you really should be knowledgeable about it. It would help others if you could post your work ticket showing part numbers and diagnosis. Hope all is well for you now.
+1 on the welcome.

+3 on the please post a copy of your work order.

Alternately, PM a copy to member Silver02 for him to post and/or to include in his HPFP failure tracking thread. the info sure would help many here who are trying to follow the failures.
Old August 17th, 2010, 19:23   #7
GTIDan
Veteran Member

Forget 'show me the money' Show me the dealer work order showing what parts were repaired or replaced. Not convinced they replaced the HPFP
Old August 17th, 2010, 19:39   #8
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I am sure he is spending some time slogging through the threads learning something. Give him a chance to respond and post "if" he wants to. This isn't a prove it or else, it is a share the info request. Let's not repeat the other ugly thread.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 19:51   #9
narongc73
Veteran Member

Yeah who gives a crap if he is making it up. Doesn't bother me any. Just like everything else in life newer doesn't always mean better.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:56   #10
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

Since the OP references replacing the fuses for the two pumps that were replaced, that infers that the pumps replaced are electronic, which the HPFP is not. Sounds like the OP's aux fuel pump went bad, not the HPFP.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 19:24   #11
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican18TQA4 View Post
Since the OP references replacing the fuses for the two pumps that were replaced, that infers that the pumps replaced are electronic, which the HPFP is not. Sounds like the OP's aux fuel pump went bad, not the HPFP.
I concur. Especially since the repairs were made so quickly. There's no mention of replacing injectors, lines, flushing, etc.

The dealership could have been mixing up the lingo.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 16:14   #12
EOTS

My apology in not having responded any sooner!

The following items were listed in the work order:

DESCRIPTION / OPERATION CODE
Technical Diagnosis / 01320026
5051 GFF / 01500000
Replaced Fuel Pump Fuses / 20655599
Replaced Fuel Pump / 20661900
Re & Re Aux Fuel Pump / 20661933
Update ECM as per TSB 2020606-2 / 23602599
Road Test / 01210004

PARTS:
4 N 017 131 12 FLAT FUSE / ASTD
1 1K0 919 050 J FUEL UNIT / A

All of the above-listed labor and parts were performed under warranty and , as such, none of the line items was shown with "unit price".

I could not really tell if the "fuel unit" described above was the main pump or auxilliary unit. Any takers? Comments anyone?

EOTS
Old August 19th, 2010, 16:51   #13
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Yep, that's the auxiliary furl pump. It's pump #2 in the system.

Pump #1 is the Lift Lump in the tank that supplies fuel at low pressure to the fuel filter and from there to the Aux Pump. The Aux Pump then sends fuel to the HPSP at 70psi. The HPFP supplies up to ~26,000psi to the rail.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 20:12   #14
EOTS

Thanks for the enlightenment. At least now I know which pump had failed on me.

Does anyone know if there is anything I could do to prevent or at least lessen the likelihood of the failure of the HPFP? Would diesel additives help in extending the life of the fuel system?

EOTS
Old August 19th, 2010, 21:38   #15
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment. At least now I know which pump had failed on me.

Does anyone know if there is anything I could do to prevent or at least lessen the likelihood of the failure of the HPFP? Would diesel additives help in extending the life of the fuel system?

EOTS
There has been a lot of discussion here about this very subject. Some people think that a lubricity additive is your best insurance, others thimk that no additives should be used. Do a search for "lubricity + additive" and you will find a lot of info - some of it useful. I pesonally feel that added lubricating ability can't hurt, but since nobody really knows exactly what kills HPFPs, the jury is still out on this one. You must read all the studies and make up your own mind. All I know for sure is that US diesel fuel does not have to be up to the same lubricity standard as in Europe and Canada.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote