www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2010

TDIFest 2010 Discussion about TDIFest 2010 on the Labour Day weekend (September 3-5th, 2010) .

Old August 30th, 2010, 13:48   #16
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
I was in Sierra Vista AZ last week at my Moms it was fab!!
The first couple of days were pretty hot (105+) but the last 2 days were great! Only got up to the low 90's each day.
Old August 31st, 2010, 14:04   #17
daneg
Veteran Member

Hey everyone, I am on Van Island now at my sisters. Gotta say the ferry from Prince Rupert BC to Port Hardy on Van Island is spectacular. The 16 hours just flew by. We had a couple of reclining chairs looking out on a huge floor to ceiling picture window. Humpback whales were surfacing throughout the trip, Eagles soaring by, porpoises and much more. The views were incredible. The ferry is new because the last one sunk and it is top knotch. It was me and my wife's third anniversary and we had a beautiful day, ending with a couple bottles of wine in the upscale dining room on the boat. Pricey but worth it. Great time.

Spent all of yesterday fishing for salmon with my uncle, had a great time but slow on the fishing front. Caught a couple but nothing great (like on the Haida Gwaii islands). That was in Port Alberni.

On the way to Nanaimo where my sis lives we stopped at the Coombs VW museum, a tiny little shrine to all things VW. They had eight or so classic VWs from the 50s up. Beetles, vans, an 80s Scirocco and an 80s golf gti. Also a lot of die cast vw toys that were still in the box. Manuals and other things round out this collection.

Icecap, I thought for sure you were going to say the chopper was going to drop a 500 gallon load of lake water on your buddy at the wedding. Now that would be something wild! Pretty cool to get a fly by though.

Are you guys staying at the Sheraton? Look us up when you get in, Dane Gibson. We can go have a beer somewhere. I will pm you. Later I will upload a couple of pictures for everyone. Having a great time, see you all in a couple of days.
daneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 15:25   #18
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneg View Post
Hey everyone, I am on Van Island now at my sisters. Gotta say the ferry from Prince Rupert BC to Port Hardy on Van Island is spectacular. The 16 hours just flew by. We had a couple of reclining chairs looking out on a huge floor to ceiling picture window. Humpback whales were surfacing throughout the trip, Eagles soaring by, porpoises and much more. The views were incredible.
OMG!! You're killing me! That sounds incredible!

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 22:03   #19
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Started Monday afternoon from Portland ME.
Saw this on the Maine Turnpike headed south.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...e-fest&cat=500

First leg ended at Bursaw in Acton, MA B100 $3.849

Second leg was to Baum Boulevard Auto in Pittsburgh, PA, for a fill of B100 $3.999.

Third leg is underway to Batavia, IL for B99. It's 11:45 PM eastern (still in Indiana at the moment and they don't open until 6 AM central so I took a break.
From there it a rush to get to Topeka, KS before that station closes at 5 PM.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:25   #20
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Started Monday afternoon from Portland ME.
Saw this on the Maine Turnpike headed south.

First leg ended at Bursaw in Acton, MA B100 $3.849

Second leg was to Baum Boulevard Auto in Pittsburgh, PA, for a fill of B100 $3.999.

Third leg is underway to Batavia, IL for B99. It's 11:45 PM eastern (still in Indiana at the moment and they don't open until 6 AM central so I took a break.
From there it a rush to get to Topeka, KS before that station closes at 5 PM.
wow, bartlett... I'm wondering if this boreders a little bit on obsessive! Great to see you're enthusiasm.
Question tho.. why Portland, ME? Portland to Portland trip? Drove north just to go south again?

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:48   #21
Bonjonbart

TDI(s): 2000 Golf GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_car View Post
wow, bartlett... I'm wondering if this boreders a little bit on obsessive! Great to see you're enthusiasm.
Question tho.. why Portland, ME? Portland to Portland trip? Drove north just to go south again?
He is not well. Now I expect you want me to tell you something you DIDN'T know!

Portland to Portland - it's a dream about to be fulfilled.
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:07   #22
brnsgrbr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Very cool, going from one Biodiesel stop to the next.
2.0Ltr ALH w/BHWs, WB girdle, IE Tuscan rods, RyanP GtB2260Vk kit, 4bar MAP; Kerma 3" exhaust w/HF cat & Aeroturbine 3030XL, headwork, DRW 6speed w/DG Sigma shifter;SBC S2 End race clutch W/ferramic disk; Peloquin TBD; Bosio Stage 2 R520s; DLI Technik mounts ; 11mm; TT CA bushings; DG Panzer FMJ, RP,& 100K TB&SB upgrade; Coolant heater; DRL & EGR deletes; ventectomy; Accuair/Airlift suspension;B20-B100
brnsgrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 16:48   #23
Fairbanks Jetta

Fuel Economy: 355 miles, 7.1 gallons of fuel

Sittling at the airport Sheraton right now. Left my '98 Jetta aka "Supertramp" in Missoula with Mountian Imports. got to know the drivers with Green Taxi real well. Looks like I will be visiting that fine town sometime in the near future.

Still the trip down the ALCAN was great, talk about wildlife on the road, Bison right on the shoulder, Rocky mtn. Bighorn sheep on the road by Sheep mtn. (go figure), Elk and deer....Still looking for a black bear, just a fantastic road trip. Oh, and Osprey along the river right in downtown Missoula. Super cool.
Fairbanks Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 19:47   #24
daneg
Veteran Member

Default Pictures from trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks Jetta View Post
Sittling at the airport Sheraton right now. Left my '98 Jetta aka "Supertramp" in Missoula with Mountian Imports. got to know the drivers with Green Taxi real well. Looks like I will be visiting that fine town sometime in the near future.

Still the trip down the ALCAN was great, talk about wildlife on the road, Bison right on the shoulder, Rocky mtn. Bighorn sheep on the road by Sheep mtn. (go figure), Elk and deer....Still looking for a black bear, just a fantastic road trip. Oh, and Osprey along the river right in downtown Missoula. Super cool.
Hey, I know what you mean. Incredible scenery and so little traffic makes driving so fun. We met some great people from Fairbanks, I think it sounds a lot like Yellowknife. We'll see you there. Here is a link to a photo album of a few picks from the trip so far. The one of our dog smeared with brown stuff is grizzly bear crap that he rolled in. Later, we saw the bear it came from, only about 40 feet from the creek we were trying to wash him in. If anyone has any questions about the pics like where they were from or what not let me know. Here is the link: http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=4983
daneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 20:20   #25
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I am envious of all you folks. Me? I get to deliver a child back to UW-Oshkosh and I will be driving my wife's Taurus as it is a tiny bit bigger than the passat. Its gonna kill me to get only 25mpg...
Old September 2nd, 2010, 00:29   #26
tothemax
Veteran Member

Default Leaving Sacramento Thursday 6 PM

Nick is picking me up at the Sac Airport around 5 PM Thursday with his daily driver truck. We should leave around 6 PM after we get my TDI tied down on his trailer. We are driving his duramax and towing the Golf. We are staying the night in Ashland and mtn biking there Friday AM. We expect to be at the meet and greed by 6 PM on Friday.

His daily driver duramax may smoke all of our TDI's at the drag race.

Call us if you need a hand along I5 going North my cell is 916 dot 215 dot 5548

Last edited by tothemax; September 2nd, 2010 at 00:32.
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:53   #27
quantum_tdi
Veteran Member

Default Seattle to Portland early Saturday (and a spot to stay)

Looks like I'll probably head down Saturday in the early morning hours. Was going to head down for Friday, but competing commitments are going to keep me up north.

If folks are passing through and need a spot to stay, our cabin is in Gig Harbor. I have an airbed or two we can throw down. If you get here early enough I can drag you around the lake on skis...
quantum_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 14:54   #28
mrvermin
Veteran Member

Ok, just arrived and checked into the hotel....

Left Toronto on Tuesday at 8am and got in at 1pm (EST) so it was a fun 53hour drive

Illinois was .... well.... Meh, illinois... LOL

Hit some nasty storms in Nebraska, although they did have the best and cleanest rest stops (with free WiFi as well)

see ya all when you get here

MrVermin

mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 16:30   #29
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I've still a while to go yet. Topeka, Denver and Salt Lake refueling went without a hitch.
Pissed off someone from Chrysler in Vail this morning when I snapped a photo of a barely camouflaged Fiat 500 heading west on I-70 (Michigan Manufacturer's plate), then tried repeatedly to hide from more. No idea if it was a Abarth or standard. He braked from the 75 mph he'd been doing, then slowed enough to stay behind me as I slowed to allow another photo op. I took an off ramp, he kept going, I got back on, but not discretely enough. If it was an Abarth he had the sense to not go over 90 when he saw I was back behind him. Photo's to come when I have more time (limit of 30 minuted courtesy of Nevada tourism board welcome center.
Also got some of Bonneville Salt Flats. Has it really been 9 years ago that we were here?

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 19:21   #30
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Default I'm 3/4 of the way there!

I have made it as far as the Oregon state line today (Ontario, Oregon). I planned to stop in Boise for the night, but traffic was suck a PIA that I just kept driving (I didn't want to fight traffic and look for a Motel at the same time). Anyway, according to Google, I only have about 6 hours of driving left (for tomorrow). That should be a piece of cake compared to the 11.5 hours on the road today. See y'all tomorrow.

Have Fun!

Don