www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2010

TDIFest 2010 Discussion about TDIFest 2010 on the Labour Day weekend (September 3-5th, 2010) .

Old August 12th, 2010, 19:53   #1
daneg
Veteran Member

Default Driving to TDI Fest, 2010

Hey everybody, just writing to say the wife and I are excited to meet the Fred's Forum gang in Portland. We are leaving in the AM from Yellowknife with a long stretch of road to Fort Nelson, BC. From there it's on to Skagway, AK and onto the Alaska Marine Ferry this Tuesday, 7 am.

Drive off at Prince Rupert, BC, ferry over to Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii), spend a few days then back to mainland and ferry over to Vancouver Island, visit family, then down to Portland. I will try and sign in to give the odd update.

Also thought it might be fun to hear when some of the other folks leave from their destinations to road trip it to TDI fest, which is why I started this thread.

All the best,

Dane and Corrinne Gibson, plus dog Neo.
daneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 21:19   #2
icecap
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG Highway
Default TDI Fest 2010

My wife and I both have to work but have arranged to get off at noon on Friday. With a long weekend the border will probably be a zoo with a long backup but will have to make the best of it. If all goes well we should make Portland some time early evening in time for some socializing hopefully.
Old August 13th, 2010, 00:07   #3
daneg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecap View Post
My wife and I both have to work but have arranged to get off at noon on Friday. With a long weekend the border will probably be a zoo with a long backup but will have to make the best of it. If all goes well we should make Portland some time early evening in time for some socializing hopefully.
Very cool man, first round's on us!
Old August 13th, 2010, 02:23   #4
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Sounds like a very cool drive and trip! The question is do those km on the ferry count towards your drive?

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:58   #5
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Leaving for the fest now! Tonight's destination is St. Louis MO. Then on to Colorado, Utah and Arizona for a few days. Then up through California to Portland.
Old August 21st, 2010, 17:06   #6
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Made it to St Louis around 4:30 central time. Relaxing now for an 6:00 start tomorrow. Destination: Limon Co.

Looking forward to the hours across Kansas.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:54   #7
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

wow, Grove! I think you're the first to leave!
See you there!

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 17:42   #8
daneg
Veteran Member

Default On Haida Gwaii Island (Queen Charlottes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
Leaving for the fest now! Tonight's destination is St. Louis MO. Then on to Colorado, Utah and Arizona for a few days. Then up through California to Portland.
Hey Grove, sounds like an awesome road trip you are on. As VWDerf asked, I don't know if riding the ferries we are on counts towards mileage on our trip .

We have made it from Yellowknife, to Skagway (3,000 km in three days) and that was with stops, including Liard Hot Springs. We were flying, the roads were great and hardly no traffic. Beautiful drive. We took the ferry system down the Alaska coast and have spent three awesome days on the Haida Gwaii islands. It is beautiful here. We went fishing on a charter boat yesterday and caught two Chinook salmon and a koho. Also ling cod. Great day. From here back to the mainland then to Vancouver Island by ferry from Prince Rupert. Great trip so far and the car has been superb. I have great bear stories, wrong turns resulting in 300 km detour (long story), camping on the beach, and much more. I will check in again later, maybe I can upload a picture as we are staying in a B and B tonight. All the best, Dane, Corrie and Neo.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 18:33   #9
icecap
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneg View Post
Hey Grove, sounds like an awesome road trip you are on. As VWDerf asked, I don't know if riding the ferries we are on counts towards mileage on our trip .

We have made it from Yellowknife, to Skagway (3,000 km in three days) and that was with stops, including Liard Hot Springs. We were flying, the roads were great and hardly no traffic. Beautiful drive. We took the ferry system down the Alaska coast and have spent three awesome days on the Haida Gwaii islands. It is beautiful here. We went fishing on a charter boat yesterday and caught two Chinook salmon and a koho. Also ling cod. Great day. From here back to the mainland then to Vancouver Island by ferry from Prince Rupert. Great trip so far and the car has been superb. I have great bear stories, wrong turns resulting in 300 km detour (long story), camping on the beach, and much more. I will check in again later, maybe I can upload a picture as we are staying in a B and B tonight. All the best, Dane, Corrie and Neo.
Sounds like quite the trip so far, look foreword to meeting you. I just got in from a 1,000 Km rounder to Williams Lake BC to attend my cousins daughters wedding. It was interesting to say the least as we drove through thick smoke almost 1/2 of the way up there that resulted from the massive forest fires burning in BC right now. In some places is was like driving in fog and as soon as you got out of the car it was hard to breathe and you could taste it. It was an outdoor ceremony in my cousins beautiful garden and to make things interesting the groom was the boss of the entire forest fire fighting effort for the Cariboo/Chilcotin region. Unbeknownst to him his buddies arranged a prank for the wedding ceremony as a chopper flew directly overhead. It was one of the bird dog choppers that spot fires for and direct the water bombers. I had a hunch something wasn't normal about that and 5 minutes later a water bomber made a low level pass about 100m up during the middle of the ceremony, it was deafening. Made the round trip and still have between 1/4 and 1/8 of a tank left.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 19:04   #10
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_car View Post
wow, Grove! I think you're the first to leave!
See you there!
No daneg got the jump on me by a few days. Made it to St George's UT (far southwest corner - 6 miles from Nevada). Tomorrow have to pick up mom and sister in Las Vegas then on to visit relatives. See everyone in just over a week.
Old August 28th, 2010, 15:06   #11
TeDeEye1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: over all for 40000 / 46mp
Default Half way there

Made it to Rapid City. Spent some time in the Bad Lands. Heading for Seattle tomorrow and Portland by the 2nd :-)

TDI Fest 05, 06, 07. 08, 09, 10, 11,12, 13.
TeDeEye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 20:11   #12
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
No daneg got the jump on me by a few days. Made it to St George's UT (far southwest corner - 6 miles from Nevada). Tomorrow have to pick up mom and sister in Las Vegas then on to visit relatives. See everyone in just over a week.

See that Zippy! at least one of my Cars will be there!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 21:29   #13
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Yep it sure will! Had a great time here in Kingman AZ visiting relatives. Tomorrow it is off to Fresno CA.
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:03   #14
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I was in Sierra Vista AZ last week at my Moms it was fab!!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:44   #15
TeDeEye1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: over all for 40000 / 46mp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeEye1 View Post
Made it to Rapid City. Spent some time in the Bad Lands. Heading for Seattle tomorrow and Portland by the 2nd :-)
Now in Seattle for a couple days then on to the Fest :-)

TDI Fest 05, 06, 07. 08, 09, 10, 11,12, 13.
TeDeEye1 is offline   Reply With Quote