Intermittent radio blues...

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
Got a frustrating issue in my 96 Passat with factory radio. It will intermittently shut off and if I rap hard enough on the dash it will come back on...sometimes it comes on with the led's unintelligable, sometimes just fine...wierd thing is I notice that the tape will continue to play without audio. Frustrating as hell when listening to books on tape. Anyone have any idea whats up? Seems like a loose connection internal to radio?:confused:
Thanks
Dave

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
Anyone aware of whether there is a way to get a green backlit radio that's reman? Like a B4 Passat or late 98 or 99 Jetta's?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
If so let me know. I love my green mk4 looking radio.

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
I agree, my daughter used to have a 99 Jetta, the radio looked identical to her 01's radio...except it was green backlit.

Diesel_Aggie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V
I ordered one of these and it does not work in my B4. When I plug it in, the backlighting comes on even without the key on. The radio will not power on with key on or off. Are there some pins in the harnesses that need to be changed around? Maybe I have a defective unit?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You might have to swap two wires. I think I had to on my mk4 TDI Corrado swap.