www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 5th, 2010, 12:20   #1
fuslit
Veteran Member

Default 98 jetta tdi into 98 jetta glx

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd post up a project I'm putting together: (I posted this over at vwdiesel.net as well, sorry for a copy paste, but thought I'd look for input here as well.)

Anyway, my daily driver is a 98 tdi jetta with some pretty bad rust issues in the gas tank and trunk area but drive train is decent. It's got 193k plus or minus a bit, I did the timing belt, tensioner rollers at 180k water pump not long after... (should have done it at the same time... oops) put new glow plugs in, new glow plug harness and a few other maintenance items I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

The current mods:
- stage 2 chip from malone tuning http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=62
- downpipe back straight pipe (my exhaust rusted out, this was the cheap replacement for the moment)
- larger injectors (Sprint 764)
- boost gauge

current problem:
At the moment I have a random (not repeatable) intermittent boost issue I haven't been able to pinpoint. I believe is associated with my turbo's waste gate sticking (when I bought it it was frozen up, I managed to free things up with pb-blaster and some vise grips and moving things around, it's not exactly an easy spot to reach.) but my n75 valve could also be part of the problem. While I'm doing the swap I will pinpoint where things are freaking out.

After looking at the body work that I'd need to do and by chance my buddy was parting out his turbo vr6 jetta which lined up a pretty much rust free glx. Based on the cost of bodywork, and upgrades that the glx would have I worked out a price with him and I'm buying his shell for the swap.

Things the glx shell has on it: (and should come with, going to be picking this up friday)
- clean title / fresh paint
- no motor/trans/radiator
- no engine wiring/ECU/cluster
- no emissions stuff
- will have shifter box and hydraulic clutch stuff.
- stock 5x100 15" wheels, stock suspension. will have axles.
- will have 11.3" brakes / rear disk with newer MK4 calipers. stainless lines. ebrake holds.
- control arm: polly bushings in front. R32 rear
- no seats; will have black door panels. black dash. black carpet.
- neuspeed upper tie bar.
- neuspeed front and rear lower sways
- 2.5" TT stainless borla exhaust with TT test pipe
- stock headlights

Things the shell needs fixed:
- passenger fender kinked. front/rear bumper needs paint.
- bad steering rack (i dont think yours will work). pressure line also needs replacing (your line should be fine)
- no seats, door cards will be swapped over with a k2 jetta door card. (I'll be swapping in my seats which are from a 95 glx)

Things I'll swap over from my current tdi:
- Suspension from my current tdi (noname cupkit)
- motor & transmission
- engine bay wiring harness
- gas tank

Things I have ordered or am building or have on hand for this swap for upgrade/replacement:
- Stuff to make a stainless downpipe
- ebay cxracing fmic from ebay
- new motor mounts (g60 solid transmission mount, oem front and rear engine mounts)
- new strut bushings
- aircraft spruce egt probe (plan on connecting a vdo gauge I have hopefully it's the correct type)
- manual boost controllers (I'm picking up two of these to use until I get things dialed in)

Fabrication: (works in progress)
- short shifter (a friend of mine makes these, I'm getting a decent price on it so I'll try it out)
- the downpipe
- custom 3 gauge holder thinking about a green sand casting of one I have now but it needs some work.
- building a custom intake from a volvo d24 (egr delete) ported and polished
a couple images of that so far (I've beadblasted it and my buddy will tig-weld it for me)

- k24 turbo from an audi 5000 diesel (will custom exhaust adaptor & or manifold adaptation to make things work correctly)

The info I've pulled from it shows that it's a k24 from a 2.0L audi turbo diesel seems to be in decent shape. I'm thinking about pushing in the range of 20-25psi (I would like some input on this particular turbo, has anyone here run them on a tdi? also sorry for stupid questions, I haven't found any maps on it and am still learning about turbos.)

http://www.turbo-product.com/KKK/K24.ASP

model # I found 069145703 shows the following
Quote:
Turbocharger - KKK
Mark - Audi
Model - 100 TD
Year - 1981-01
Engine - 720/5 (2.0)
H.p. - 87 D
Family Turbo - K24
Turbo Code - 53249706081
O.E.M Turbo Code - 069145703 3K (maybe this is the max rpm?)
Things that will need to happen once swap is complete:
- paint bumpers and one small ding
- Once things are up, running (and most importantly stable) I will look into an upgraded 3 bar MAP then get another custom tune from malone for some more power.
- Find out what it would take to get the MFA working (using a vr6 cluster, mod the tachometer I've read a bit about it but it's on the back burner at the moment)

The goal of this project is to have a decent reliable daily driver that has enough power to pass when I need to, and have a fairly good mpg. my commute is about an hour one way so most important is it needs to be reliable. That said, the glx will have tons of upgrades that my current one lacks, an interior for instance because I have a huge rust hole in the trunk area that is letting water in...

Anyway, thanks for reading (and stay tuned) I am gonna try and wrap this up by September! (a lofty goal for me)

-Todd

Last edited by fuslit; August 5th, 2010 at 14:00.
fuslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 18:17   #2
fuslit
Veteran Member

Just replaced the n75 valve and took it for a spin.
Started out, hit 3rd gear 2500 rpm and hammered it, The new N75 valve and holds it at 15psi!!!

While I only went for a small drive, since the gauge didn't get above 15psi I'm 99% sure my intermittent boost issue is fixed!!! (except now I want more boost...)

This is so Awesome to nailed the cause of this before I did my swap (of course everything I had read on this subject pointed at a bad n75, although I think it was a combination sticky n75 valve and frozen waste gate)

I guess next time I'll not be so such cheap... *grin*
-T
Old August 5th, 2010, 21:34   #3
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

You can put the 4 cylinder steering rack onto the 6 cylinder body... but with so many miles on your TDI I'd consider getting a new one.

-Jason
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:29   #4
G60ING
Veteran Member

I've done some research and a few people have put the mk2 TD turbos on the tdi. There was a performance gain but the turbo was working outside of its ideal range. I've decided that I will try a B5.5 TDI turbo with an AFN TDI Manifold.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:56   #5
G60ING
Veteran Member

Also if you want to make the intake manifold be a little cooler you should cut the webbing out from between the runners. Plus it looks really cool.
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:43   #6
fuslit
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
You can put the 4 cylinder steering rack onto the 6 cylinder body... but with so many miles on your TDI I'd consider getting a new one.

-Jason
Yeah, at this point I'm leaning towards buying a new (well rebuilt) rack, the guy I got the car from hasn't had a chance to pull a used one and I don't want to have that hold up the swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
I've done some research and a few people have put the mk2 TD turbos on the tdi. There was a performance gain but the turbo was working outside of its ideal range. I've decided that I will try a B5.5 TDI turbo with an AFN TDI Manifold.

Also if you want to make the intake manifold be a little cooler you should cut the webbing out from between the runners. Plus it looks really cool.
Yeah, I realize there are potenially better turbos to put in, but I have these parts in hand. I'm going to try it and see. I think it should be a decent turbo setup and if I need to upgrade later on it shouldn't be a problem.

On the intake, haven't finished things yet, but I'll think about the webbing, I just want to make sure I don't cut away something that would cause a stress point where it'll fail.

I got the car delivered yesterday to the shop things will be taking place, have a lot of work ahead of me which I need to get cracking on to make headway, gonna try and spend some time on it today, but need to do rear shocks in my wife's mk4 golf tdi before I can get over to that one.

I'll try and upload some better res images of the shell.

-T
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:15   #7
fuslit
Veteran Member

Yesterday I got the dash out of the glx, which should make the fuse block re-wire go much much faster.

Also got my short shifter installed.

Next step is tackle the steering rack I think, I can't do much else until that's taken care of. I guess I could also take a look at egt probe placement on the exhaust manifold.

before

after

Old August 9th, 2010, 05:21   #8
ninedee_golf_tdi

You might want to consider a preemptive swap of the heater core since the dash is out.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:43   #9
G60ING
Veteran Member

Also replace the foam on the blend doors. The next level of while you are in there type of work is to clean the evaporator since a lot of crap gets in there and decreases the efficiency of the A/C also refoam the recir flap.
Old August 9th, 2010, 18:12   #10
fuslit
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedee_golf_tdi View Post
You might want to consider a preemptive swap of the heater core since the dash is out.
Quote:
Also replace the foam on the blend doors. The next level of while you are in there type of work is to clean the evaporator since a lot of crap gets in there and decreases the efficiency of the A/C also refoam the recir flap.
I agree, these both would be a good idea, but I am attempting to keep the non-essential 'while your in there' costs down (I only have so much $ to drop on this at once...) still it would be nice to not have to pull the entire dash again to do something I could have done earlier (like what happened to me when I decided to forgo replacing the water pump when I did the timing belt... only to have to replace the water pump no less then 2k miles later... opps) I'll get some prices on the heater core. (weren't these under warranty at one point?)

Anyhow, these showed up today (cool.)

They'll be used for the downpipe, was hoping that I could use one as an interface with the turbo, and one to match up with the exhaust that's on the shell currently.

looks like it'll take some custom fabrication to work, but the price of a stainless flange that I found was twice what two of these cost!?! I figured I'd try this out first it's not 'that' far out of line I think I'll be able to get it to work fairly easily. (still need to go over to see if they'll fit the exhaust bracket that's on the car now.)

I think pretty impressive for what they cost, makes me sad that I can buy these on ebay so cheap and have stores that are 'reputable' sell the same (most likely as almost nothing is manufactured in the US anymore) thing at 2-3x the markup... but that's a story for another time

Steering rack is ordered and should be here in a couple days.
Old August 9th, 2010, 21:01   #11
G60ING
Veteran Member

heater cores cost $50 or so. The foam is $10 or so at home depot. do it now or do soon after down the road. Its a bear to do twice.
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:46   #12
fuslit
Veteran Member

Quote:
heater cores cost $50 or so. The foam is $10 or so at home depot. do it now or do soon after down the road. Its a bear to do twice.
Yeah, found a good price on a heater core ($23.61) [http://www.autohausaz.com/] so I went ahead and ordered it along with new fluids (vw power steering and g12) that I covers most of what I'm looking to do here. (Hopefully)

So, Other than title/registration and cost of materials to finish the exhaust and intake (misc silicone couplers, cost of a refill on a bottle of argon) and final paint work I hope (crosses fingers) all costs are taken into account.

-T
Old August 11th, 2010, 18:32   #13
fuslit
Veteran Member

More parts have arrived

how the 90 degree bend lines up

well this was a pain but the heater core's out. Can't imagine what it would be like to try and get to this with the engine in the way... even more of a pain!

The new heater core won't be here until next tues ... but honestly there's alot of things that need to happen between now and then.

-Todd
Old August 12th, 2010, 19:34   #14
fuslit
Veteran Member

Last part of the downpipe showed up today,

and the steering rack showed up... but... i think it's the wrong one. (need to do a little research, the invoice says for a vr6 corrado)

anyway, pics of the removal/comparison.

old rack (pay attention to the three bolt holes on top)

out:
the new rack appears wider, the bolt holes are missing. I didn't bother to measure, i'll confirm the part # I need then chat w/guy I bought it from.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:09   #15
fuslit
Veteran Member

So, I just heard back from the place I got the rack. The owner checked with their supplier who says that they've never had any problems with these, says the intended application is vr6 mk3 jetta. He usually knows what he's talking about and would not intentionally jerk me around, So I'll give it a shot.

Basically I just wanted to confirm that it if I had to return it (i.e. it doesn't fit that it won't be a problem.)

This weekend I'm going to try and catch up with my buddy who's gonna help out with the tig welding to weld up the intake.

-T