www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 31st, 2010, 13:00   #1
Paulrd277

TDI(s): none
Question Having trouble with my TDI - Is it the Turbo?

I have a 2001 TDI Jetta automatic with 100k miles on it. I just had the timing belt, battery and oil changed. The only problem I am having now is I'm not really getting any power when I put the throttle down. When I push the gas all the way, the revs go high but it doesn't really go anywhere. It also has trouble up hills as well. Also, it wont change gears when I get to 4000 rpms unless I let off the gas. Someone told me the turbo isn't working because I'm not getting any power, is this true? I don't think It's my tranny because it goes into drive and reverse with no problem. My check engine light isn't on either. If anyone knows or has had this problem in the past, please let me know. Any information would help!
Paulrd277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 13:28   #2
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Who changed the timing belt, battery and oil?
Old July 31st, 2010, 13:34   #3
njphil

I had a somewhat similar problem at around 35k miles. wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th , 4th to 5th, etc (and merging into traffic was a safety issue) till i let off the accelarator a bit, and really jerky shifting. I was getting serviced at a dealer back then and they said fuel filter was causing it. It affected fuel pressure (not sure exactly how, fuel pump i guess) and cause the trans to act like it was.

But I have a dsg tranny.
'06 Jetta TDI DSG Reflexsive Silver pkg#1 - 112k+ miles
njphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 15:20   #4
Paulrd277

Well, I just took it out again and there was a loud hissing sound whenever I accelerated. After the engine got warm it went away, but now the check engine light is on :-/ Maybe there's a hose leak?

I changed the oil and battery myself and had the timing belt done by a local garage.
Old August 1st, 2010, 15:23   #5
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (505k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulrd277 View Post
Well, I just took it out again and there was a loud hissing sound whenever I accelerated. After the engine got warm it went away, but now the check engine light is on :-/ Maybe there's a hose leak?

I changed the oil and battery myself and had the timing belt done by a local garage.
There is almost certainly nothing wrong with your turbo. But the local mechanic may have dislodged a vacuum hose or failed to tighten the clamp to the intercooler properly -- there are a number of things he could have done wrong.

Unless your local mechanic is a TDI expert, you might have his work checked by someone who is... there are a number of them in New England.
'03 Golf with 505k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 17:59   #6
Paulrd277

Im so glad it's not the turbo! Thanks for your reply, Im going to try to find a TDI mechanic around here.
Thanks again!
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:33   #7
Paulrd277

How do I find a local TDI mechanic around here?
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:47   #8
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

you can try the link in my signature
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 05:21   #9
mariahexp

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by njphil View Post
I had a somewhat similar problem at around 35k miles. wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th , 4th to 5th, etc (and merging into traffic was a safety issue) till i let off the accelarator a bit, and really jerky shifting. I was getting serviced at a dealer back then and they said fuel filter was causing it. It affected fuel pressure (not sure exactly how, fuel pump i guess) and cause the trans to act like it was.

But I have a dsg tranny.
I purchased a 2004 Jetta wagon TDI with automatic/triptronic transmission and 83,000 miles. Had professional 3rd party inspection which found no problems and had it shipped to me. Car arrived with engine light on, no power to climb hills, and major problems in shifting smoothly when just getting going after sitting for a few hours or overnight. Actuator on turbo was bad which was big investment to fix but now it has power when needed. Unfortunately, it is still having trouble shifting from 1st/2nd then 2nd/3rd till car is very very warm. Then it shifts smoothly and has plenty of turbo boost to get up WV hills.

Don't have a local expert close by so I've driven 4 hours each way to Athens, OH to have belts changed/diagnose turbo actuator problem, then to go back once part was in to replace actuator.

So, did the fuel filter address your problem shifting? Do I possibly need a new thermostat so it warms up more quickly? New transmission (I hope not)? Transmission flush (I don't know if that even happens)?

I don't know a lot about cars. I want my car to drive without revving up to 4000 rpms before shifting. I got screwed by a Florida dealership and now am just trying to get this great fuel efficient car to run how it should since the dealership wasn't honest about its problems.

Mariah
mariahexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:50   #10
timk519
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999.5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulrd277 View Post
The only problem I am having now is I'm not really getting any power when I put the throttle down. When I push the gas all the way, the revs go high but it doesn't really go anywhere.
My thought would be that the clutch is slipping and on it's way out.
Old December 19th, 2011, 15:30   #11
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulrd277
The only problem I am having now is I'm not really getting any power when I put the throttle down. When I push the gas all the way, the revs go high but it doesn't really go anywhere.
My thought would be that the clutch is slipping and on it's way out.
First of all this thread is from July 2010. The original poster had an automatic (with a boost leak)

Mariahexp should search "cold, shift, N92, 09A"
runonbeer is online now   Reply With Quote