How to: Remove pressed in parts with a welder

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I've gotton a ton of pm's about this so I figured I would post a mini how to on the subject.

The most common application to the average tdi'er is changing bearing races in the transmission for a lsd install. But, it also works great for removing pressed in valve seats in aluminum or iron heads. 10x easier than cutting them out.

The arch nemisis:

The solution:
Use a tig (preferably, but mig will work if absolutely need be) welder to run a bead without filler along the inside of the race.

The result:
Wait 5 minutes and turn the part or case upside down and tap a few times. The race will usually fall out after 2 or 3 taps. If it doesn't, a few very light taps with a punch will make it fall out.

For installing new bearings onto a differential without a press;
-Put the diff in the freezer for about 3 hours.
-Put new bearing inner races in oven at 400F for about 30 mins.
-Quickly drop the bearings onto the diff. They'll fall all the way on and will lock themselves on quickly.
-Now, wait for the diff to get back to room temp and then check your bearing preload :).

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I can just see the guys with wives/girlfriends: "Honey, why are there car parts in the oven?"

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
That's not a bad way to go. On my 02M we just tapped the races out, but previously we put the case half on the BBQ. After it simmers for a while you can just tap on the case and let the races fall out. It's great for blind races where you can't get a puller behind it. The downside is obviously the smoke and nasty smell.....maybe just use your neighbors :D

Whitbread

TDI
Several
That's not a bad way to go. On my 02M we just tapped the races out, but previously we put the case half on the BBQ. After it simmers for a while you can just tap on the case and let the races fall out. It's great for blind races where you can't get a puller behind it. The downside is obviously the smoke and nasty smell.....maybe just use your neighbors :D
Yeah, bbq's are quite handy for that too :). Another way to skin the cat.

They're also handy for pre heating parts to be welded. Mmmm, mesquite smoked cast iron

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
For installing new bearings onto a differential without a press;
-Put the diff in the freezer for about 3 hours.
-Put new bearing races in oven at 400F for about 30 mins.
-Quickly drop the bearings onto the diff. They'll fall all the way on and will lock themselves on quickly.
I'm probably too tired to think this through, but I would have imagined the opposite... (diff. in oven and bearing race in freezer...)

Where did my thinking (?) go wrong ???

Yuri

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I'm probably to tired to think this through, but I would have imagined the opposite... (diff. in oven and bearing race in freezer...)

Where did my thinking (?) go wrong ???

Yuri
I had the same thoughts. Don't you want the expand the differential with heat and shrink the race?