17/22 PD TDTuning.com dyno

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Dyno'd the 2dr today for the first time with the PD. I brought along two ECU's and a tuner (thanks Mike!) to test. First up, I ran the RC ECU as it felt the most powerful between the two. The dyno operator told me 140/319 and I about lost it until I realized the optical pickup dropped at 2300 rpm LOL. Second run on the RC5 ECU and he said 214/323! I knew the HP was there but was surprised to see it up so high, and I was a little dissapointed in the torque. This ECU felt like the torquiest TDI I've ever been in.
So, next up was my tune I've been driving daily from TDTuning.com. 207/347 :) Not bad but Mike wanted to adjust the timing a bit to find the sweet spot. A few pulls later we settled on 211.95/354.07. Yes, it's smoky at WOT but it's not too shabby for a stock sized turbine :eek: Here's a graph and video

The little dip there in the beginning is more than likely either the boost isn't ramping up to 26 psi right away or it ramps, dips and then goes about it's business. Not too worried about it as I don't make it a practice to WOT at 1600 rpm in 4th :rolleyes: On the street, I usually don't WOT until about 2500. The dyno operator used STD correction whatever that means. He told me that he set the software to recognize that it was at 100ft altitude which is about right for the area there. I saw him switch it from STD, to SAE, and the difference was only about 1-2 hp. It was also 89degF in the little dyno room :eek:
I do have to give a shoutouts to the following people:
Geoff at Colt Cams- I thoroughly enjoy'd the cam upgrade more than the R783 upgrade. Felt more of a torque increase from it, and it made the car even smoother.
Pete at DBW LLC- Thanks for the great work on my injectors. When I just threw the R783's in there at first, it didn't quite sound like it was running right at low RPM. Sounded very "diesely" like the timing was too advanced. Pete fixed me up right!
VWMikel- Outstanding tuning. Even though I kept saying that my RC ECU felt faster, you were right all along. They're the same (except yours has a bit more torque and starts/idles/drives a lot nicer).
Chris- Eff u for having more torque than me :p I don't know how that's possible :confused:
To finalize things up, the car runs EGT's of 1650 so it's pretty hot but manageable. It runs 26 psi most times but may occasionally hit 27. Most importantly, I'm DONE messing with power enhancements (until I blow up the turbo and then it's compound time!). My goal when I started on this car 2 years ago was 200/350 and I'm finally there :D:D:D

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Way to go Phil... Nice to have Mike on hand and a solid way to validate your comparisons. Congratulations... :cool:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
The smoke looks a lot like mine at WOT. I'll be on a dyno in a week or two so we can compare numbers.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Congrads Phil.... You will be hard to beat at the TDI Fest.... 212 whp 354 ft/lbs All I can say is WOWWWWW!! I am sure you exceeded your own expectations.

BTW, How did that 212 whp come in with some of the wild a$$ predictions made for your dyno results? ;)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
MHA- Mods are in my profile. Basically all the bolt on bells/whistles typical with a 17/22.

TDIRacing- No, I don't have the RC graph. It had a similar dip in the torque peak (but 20 ft*lbs less), and 2 more hp from about 3800-4300 where the power bump is. Power buildup prior to the spike was a little slower as well.

Tothemax- I was hoping for 205/375. Pretty close!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Way to Go Phil... Great results!!! But I too want to see the RC graph. And WTG Chris for beating Phil!!!:p:p:D

Eric B

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Was the maf unplugged for both runs? Still have 02 sensor plugged in too?

Jeff

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
MHA- Mods are in my profile. Basically all the bolt on bells/whistles typical with a 17/22.
Ahhh, but I would say you have more than you typical bolt ons...

Colt Cam, 6-speed... (not that the 6 speed did much for you).

I would like to do that R32 box and snorkal.

Was this dyno with or without the Water/Meth?

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
You say that's enough... Just wait until TDI Fest and you get to mingle with all those other power junkies, you'll want more :D

David

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
You say that's enough... Just wait until TDI Fest and you get to mingle with all those other power junkies, you'll want more :D

David
Are you bringing your car to fest?

MHA- I should point out that all runs were with the Devils Own W/M on. 95% water. EGT's maxed probably because of the inefficient turbine at those power levels.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
MHA- I should point out that all runs were with the Devils Own W/M on. 95% water.
How much do you think the W/M injection contributed to your result? Given how easy it is do and the disagreement of the gains, wouldn't it have been instructive to run some of the runs both with- and without back-to-back?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Yeah, there's going to be no living with him now that he's joined the elite cadre of +200 hp guys... :rolleyes::cool:
I must admit I was a bit taken back by the small tire-fire. Time for more air (GTB2260VK ??) methinks. Fueling that hard, I imagine EGT's are teetering on the edge of manageable. Regardless, you won't find me challenging you soon...:D

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Bolted on to an ARL, correct? Impressive dyno.
Right. Less compression than a BEW...
How much do you think the W/M injection contributed to your result? Given how easy it is do and the disagreement of the gains, wouldn't it have been instructive to run some of the runs both with- and without back-to-back?
From my own non scientific testing, w/m lowers my EGT's about 150 degF. I wouldn't even do a full 4th gear pull with that much fuel without water. So if you look at it that way, you could guess the water was worth 10hp maybe? I don't know...

On my last dyno (where I cracked a piston) I did runs back to back with and without 50/50 w/m and it was a 6hp difference... So now I rely on the timing of my injectors for fueling, and just use water to cool it a little bit.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I will try to run a couple curves on my ALH with and without w/m as soon as I can get my w/m and fuel cooler installed.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Nice numbers :). Is it smoky as hell on the street if you're not careful?

If you weren't so far away, I would tell you to swing by for a free dyno run to see what your car puts down on the "low reading" superflow I use. I'm really curious to see how much different it reads than all the other dynojets across the country.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Nice numbers :). Is it smoky as hell on the street if you're not careful?

If you weren't so far away, I would tell you to swing by for a free dyno run to see what your car puts down on the "low reading" superflow I use. I'm really curious to see how much different it reads than all the other dynojets across the country.
It's clean until WOT. Even then, when you start flying and get some distance behind you, the smoke isn't that bad. It's all up to the individual I suppose. And yeah, I think I'd put down about 47 hp on your crazy dyno LOL :p

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
It's clean until WOT. Even then, when you start flying and get some distance behind you, the smoke isn't that bad. It's all up to the individual I suppose. And yeah, I think I'd put down about 47 hp on your crazy dyno LOL :p
Haha, as long as it's not freight train level then you're good.

I was thinking about 65hp :p. In all seriousness though, I know Loudspl's car that put down 230hp on the superflow is an absolute monster. My car put down just shy of 200 on a dynojet and his would've raped mine like nothing.

If all goes well and can get off of school, I'm going to try to get my car together and make it out to the 'fest. That should be a good comparison for 200+hp cars :). However, I have to finish a very large build, get a good chunk of work done on another large build, and then have my own, so we'll see how busy one month can be haha.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
If all goes well and can get off of school, I'm going to try to get my car together and make it out to the 'fest. That should be a good comparison for 200+hp cars :). However, I have to finish a very large build, get a good chunk of work done on another large build, and then have my own, so we'll see how busy one month can be haha.
I hope you get your car done in time. It'd be nice to finally meet you! Yeah, there are half a dozen 200+hp TDI's in the Western states that will be there at Fest racing so it should be fun :cool:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
We have been fine tuning the tune on my car. I know it doesn't have a 17/22 but the K3B is similar as are my injectors. The balancing act has been to reduce top end smoke without killing the power. The tune I loaded this morning is getting there. She still smokes some on a brisk roll to WOT but it clears. Boost is hovering around 25-26 & EGT have never gone over 1400. Throttle response is awesome! I'll put her on the rollers in a week or two. It will be a very conservative Mustang unit.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Nice car and impressive numbers.
Hows it pull on the highway?
The most surprising thing on the highway is when you're doing 80+ and roll into it in 6th. Couple seconds go by and the speed at that point is license revoking territory. It's effortless, and waaaay to fast for a 40 mpg car.

Darkhorse- Glad to see Charlie is getting the tuning down. I'm surprised your EGT's don't get up there more. If you push more fuel it's too smoky? Weird... You got an FMIC?