www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old July 24th, 2010, 18:39   #1
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0
Default 17/22 PD TDTuning.com dyno

Dyno'd the 2dr today for the first time with the PD. I brought along two ECU's and a tuner (thanks Mike!) to test. First up, I ran the RC ECU as it felt the most powerful between the two. The dyno operator told me 140/319 and I about lost it until I realized the optical pickup dropped at 2300 rpm LOL. Second run on the RC5 ECU and he said 214/323! I knew the HP was there but was surprised to see it up so high, and I was a little dissapointed in the torque. This ECU felt like the torquiest TDI I've ever been in.
So, next up was my tune I've been driving daily from TDTuning.com. 207/347 Not bad but Mike wanted to adjust the timing a bit to find the sweet spot. A few pulls later we settled on 211.95/354.07. Yes, it's smoky at WOT but it's not too shabby for a stock sized turbine Here's a graph and video

The little dip there in the beginning is more than likely either the boost isn't ramping up to 26 psi right away or it ramps, dips and then goes about it's business. Not too worried about it as I don't make it a practice to WOT at 1600 rpm in 4th On the street, I usually don't WOT until about 2500. The dyno operator used STD correction whatever that means. He told me that he set the software to recognize that it was at 100ft altitude which is about right for the area there. I saw him switch it from STD, to SAE, and the difference was only about 1-2 hp. It was also 89degF in the little dyno room
I do have to give a shoutouts to the following people:
Geoff at Colt Cams- I thoroughly enjoy'd the cam upgrade more than the R783 upgrade. Felt more of a torque increase from it, and it made the car even smoother.
Pete at DBW LLC- Thanks for the great work on my injectors. When I just threw the R783's in there at first, it didn't quite sound like it was running right at low RPM. Sounded very "diesely" like the timing was too advanced. Pete fixed me up right!
VWMikel- Outstanding tuning. Even though I kept saying that my RC ECU felt faster, you were right all along. They're the same (except yours has a bit more torque and starts/idles/drives a lot nicer).
Chris- Eff u for having more torque than me I don't know how that's possible
To finalize things up, the car runs EGT's of 1650 so it's pretty hot but manageable. It runs 26 psi most times but may occasionally hit 27. Most importantly, I'm DONE messing with power enhancements (until I blow up the turbo and then it's compound time!). My goal when I started on this car 2 years ago was 200/350 and I'm finally there

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.

Last edited by Farfromovin; July 24th, 2010 at 19:46.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 19:00   #2
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Way to go Phil... Nice to have Mike on hand and a solid way to validate your comparisons. Congratulations...

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 19:26   #3
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

Heheheehheh nice work man!

dieselpower04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 20:46   #4
darkhorse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

The smoke looks a lot like mine at WOT. I'll be on a dyno in a week or two so we can compare numbers.
'06 Golf GLS 5 speed, Evo skid plate, Koni FSD's with Shine RSS, SBC stage 3, SMF, KERMA custom tune, R 32 snorkel,PD 150 airbox,MAF,TIP & manifold, K3B,R 783's, Colt stage 2, EJ SMIC, piping by ID Parts, Whitbread 2.5" DP, Aero muffler, 3"KERMA SS pipes, Sigma 5 short shifter, .681 5th gear & Peloquin, Nicktane 1 um fuel filter & DG/Amsoil bypass filter.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 21:10   #5
tothemax
Veteran Member

Congrads Phil.... You will be hard to beat at the TDI Fest.... 212 whp 354 ft/lbs All I can say is WOWWWWW!! I am sure you exceeded your own expectations.

BTW, How did that 212 whp come in with some of the wild a$$ predictions made for your dyno results?
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 21:11   #6
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

What are you mods?
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 21:25   #7
TdiRacing

Do you have the RC graph?
I pop test and install Injectors, Clutches, Timing belts, Brakes, LSD Installs, Do all maintainance and repairs for all TDI models. Email: ohwegener@hotmail.com for info. For all your TDI parts and service.

TdiRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 21:40   #8
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

MHA- Mods are in my profile. Basically all the bolt on bells/whistles typical with a 17/22.

TDIRacing- No, I don't have the RC graph. It had a similar dip in the torque peak (but 20 ft*lbs less), and 2 more hp from about 3800-4300 where the power bump is. Power buildup prior to the spike was a little slower as well.

Tothemax- I was hoping for 205/375. Pretty close!

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 23:40   #9
oldpoopie

Ahh you PD guys and your minimal smoke.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:23   #10
TDikook
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~44+

Way to Go Phil... Great results!!! But I too want to see the RC graph. And WTG Chris for beating Phil!!!

Eric B
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:23   #11
jsrmonster
Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast

Was the maf unplugged for both runs? Still have 02 sensor plugged in too?

Jeff
15 Golf SW DSG, 00Jetta 6spd race, 99.5Jetta Rocket ARL-PD150 6spd 2260, 2003.5 5.9L Cummins QCLB 4x4 Blue Monster, 00Passat1.8T, other tdi's: 97J, 98J, 99.5J2x, 00-C5 6spd - EFILive, HPTuner, Diablo Sport!
Never argue with an idiot.They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The beatings will continue until the morale improves!
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement !
"DIESEL TUNING PROFESSIONAL" 1-5-3-6-2-4=;-)

jsrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:25   #12
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin View Post
MHA- Mods are in my profile. Basically all the bolt on bells/whistles typical with a 17/22.
Ahhh, but I would say you have more than you typical bolt ons...

Colt Cam, 6-speed... (not that the 6 speed did much for you).

I would like to do that R32 box and snorkal.

Was this dyno with or without the Water/Meth?
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:55   #13
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

He did it just the way I did; strap it down and put a hurtin on it!! (At least that's what I texted him that morning lol)

dieselpower04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:13   #14
vwmikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrmonster View Post
Was the maf unplugged for both runs? Still have 02 sensor plugged in too?

Jeff
The MAF was plugged in. The tune I wrote is speed density though and no MAF is required so any input from it would be disregarded.

vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:19   #15
TDIinTexas

You say that's enough... Just wait until TDI Fest and you get to mingle with all those other power junkies, you'll want more

David

TDIinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote