www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 20th, 2010, 04:38   #1
DieselDriver2003
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46
Default 2006 New Beetle Headlights Out

Okay, I haven't logged onto this site for almost a year, and it WAS a good thing. But, now I'm back because I have an issue with the headlight. I'm not sure what happened but both my headlights do not work all of a sudden, and I checked the fuses and they seem to be good. Could it be that the relay had gone bad? Does anyone know what the # is for the low beam relay underneath the dash?

Here's what I think it happened: a while back, to disable the DRL (relay 176?), I had removed the relay for several months and then decided to put it back. After that, the DRL would only shut off when the key is removed from the ignition or turned towards the driver all the way. Prior to this, I was able to shut off the DRL by applying the emergency brake.

Any expedient help would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:40   #2
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see fuelly

Well the first thing I'd try is taking that relay back out... I used to mod that relay with electrical tape over the magnetic connector inside in, so the Brake warming lamp still worked (req. for inspection I believe) but the DRLs didn't....

If that fails it's not uncommon for both to blow at the same time. Do you have high beams?

I see many 06's with just one working eye running around.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:07   #3
DieselDriver2003
Veteran Member

I haven't checked the high beam yet, but around lunch time I will go outside and test it. I think it may actually be that relay 176. I can remove it now because I do not have the torx bits to remove the plastic cover underneath the dash board; which means I have to get home before sundown pilgrim!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie View Post
Well the first thing I'd try is taking that relay back out... I used to mod that relay with electrical tape over the magnetic connector inside in, so the Brake warming lamp still worked (req. for inspection I believe) but the DRLs didn't....

If that fails it's not uncommon for both to blow at the same time. Do you have high beams?

I see many 06's with just one working eye running around.
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:04   #4
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

for testing purposes, you could use a flash light to find those 4 (I think it's only 4) screws, remove the cover, and put it back the next day in the sunlight... that's usually how I do it.
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:09   #5
DieselDriver2003
Veteran Member

Okay, sorry for the late posting. Here's what I found. Both regular high beam and flasher does not work, although I do see the high beam activation indicator come on, I don't hear any clicking sound from relay activation (don't know whether I should be hearing it). I doubt the both bulbs are out at the same time, so my guess is that there must be another relay or some sort or even a fuse that may have tripped maybe on top of the battery?
Quote:
for testing purposes, you could use a flash light to find those 4 (I think it's only 4) screws, remove the cover, and put it back the next day in the sunlight... that's usually how I do it.
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:26   #6
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

You're logic is following mine. Check your owners manual, there should be a wiring diagram that explains the fuses. I don't know what changes occured from 98 to 06, but I'm sure many exist. I'd still remove 173 and see if it magically starts working again.

Worst case...break out your voltmeter.
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:23   #7
DieselDriver2003
Veteran Member

Yeah, I removed the 173, it's out for good. I think it might be that another relay is bad, that's my guess, I might have to get a service manual to determine which relay powers the low/high beam and maybe that should work. Once I can locate the relay, it should be fairly simple to check to see if it's any good. Hate to take out the headlamp clusters to check the voltage coming out of there (and even to check the bulbs) as you know how painful it is to take them out.
Quote:
You're logic is following mine. Check your owners manual, there should be a wiring diagram that explains the fuses. I don't know what changes occured from 98 to 06, but I'm sure many exist. I'd still remove 173 and see if it magically starts working again.
Worst case...break out your voltmeter.
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:34   #8
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Ah so even tho the fenders are newer looking the same old headlamp assembly is under neath. Lovely. I was hoping they'd revised that
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:26   #9
DieselDriver2003
Veteran Member

Yup, what a knuckle buster that lamp design, so bad that I want to get rid of the Beetle and get me a Toyota... oops, sorry, see how frustrated I am

Okay, I lost my Owner's Manual during one of the move out of the 3 in like last 6 years!

I want to find out if anyone can tell me which fuse under the hood is for the headlamps? Better yet, anyone can share a picture?
Quote:
Ah so even tho the fenders are newer looking the same old headlamp assembly is under neath. Lovely. I was hoping they'd revised that
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:36   #10
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

You know I do have the bentley in my car but it's only up to like the 02 model year. I'll put it on my to-do list.
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:26   #11
DieselDriver2003
Veteran Member

Thank you.
Quote:
You know I do have the bentley in my car but it's only up to like the 02 model year. I'll put it on my to-do list.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:29   #12
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

hey ... ok fuses 18-21 18-19 are high beam R/l and 20-21 are low beam R/L 27 is DRLs...

the only relay i see listed is the one in position 8, #173 or 53. I can't see any others.

Not sure what to suggest my friend
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:43   #13
Dunno513
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5 lifetime

Just a dumb question, but have you checked the bulbs to make sure, swapped out the switch or checked the e-brake switch ?
Dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:55   #14
DieselDriver2003
Veteran Member

Okay, found the issue. For some reason, both headlamp assemblies were ajar and was stickingo out for about 1/2" from the housing, I don't know why this happened but after I had pushed it back in, it works. I really don't like that design, maybe it's good on ME-109 as space is tight but really, on a car? This experience had me wordering.. why 'o why I got this car...