Push button ignition installed, pictures!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
So I try to start my car about a month ago and I feel the key go limp. I snapped the little metal tab that engages the ignition switch (the white thing between my left thumb and fore finger in the following picture).

Does anyone know if the metal tab that goes into the white thing comes with the ignition housing or the lock cylinder? I tried to get the lock cylinder out following the "stick something in the hole and pull" technique described in the Bently manual but gave up. This is way more fun anyway:

The chrome toggle on the left is wired to both "key in" and "ignition on" contacts on the ignition switch wiring harness. I could have separate switches but I did not have enough room. The only loss is that when I shut down the engine the radio immediately shuts off and the interior lights immediately come on as if I shut down and removed the key right away.

The toggle on the right is wired in place of the "on while running but off while starting" contacts of the ignition switch. I just turn it on after the engine is running. It controls the AC, fans, DRLs, wipers and turn signals, and probably more this is just what I have discovered so far.

It is not possible to start the car without the key in. The immobilizer has not been modified and also you need the key in and turned forward to unlock the steering.

The starting sequence is:

Insert key and unlock steering
Set left toggle to "RUN"
push START button (vrrrroooom!)
Set right toggle to "RUN"

The stopping sequence is:

Set both toggle to "STOP"
Remove key

So, does anyone else have a push to start button on their TDI? Please post pics! :D

edit: Now in version 2.0 (from post #16 onward)

It works! Video!
1:35 Push Button Ignition on Thrustmaster Shifter

edit: click here for the "Thrustmaster Shifter" thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...43#post3050843

Last edited:

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Interesting, I would almost want to "install" one without the ignition broken. Yes, it looks "a little" redneckish, but I give it a "10" for inginuity and "cheapness".

Now to find better looking switches and clean it up for version 2.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Thanks for the replies and comments, keep 'em coming.

Yes this is only temporary, unless it works. I threw it together pretty quick and had to shave down the plastic button to get the switches to fit. I was thinking of getting a bigger button but not sure where to put it.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Could have run the "off while cranking power" through the first toggle switch and used a relay activated by the push button to disconnect it. Or a DPDT push button could have been used.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
My only suggestion is if you're going this direction, go all out and use those 3" toggle switches you see in the cockpit shots of NASCAR cars.

In all honesty though, your $hit broke, and you fixed it in a creative and functional way. Props to you even if it's a little off the wall.

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
That is really cool Narf. Something like that would be great for pulse and glide.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
So I try to start my car about a month ago and I feel the key go limp. I snapped the little metal tab that engages the ignition switch (the white thing between my left thumb and fore finger in the following picture).

Does anyone know if the metal tab that goes into the white thing comes with the ignition housing or the lock cylinder? I tried to get the lock cylinder out following the "stick something in the hole and pull" technique described in the Bently manual but gave up. This is way more fun anyway:

The chrome toggle on the left is wired to both "key in" and "ignition on" contacts on the ignition switch wiring harness. I could have separate switches but I did not have enough room. The only loss is that when I shut down the engine the radio immediately shuts off and the interior lights immediately come on as if I shut down and removed the key right away.

The toggle on the right is wired in place of the "on while running but off while starting" contacts of the ignition switch. I just turn it on after the engine is running. It controls the AC, fans, DRLs, wipers and turn signals, and probably more this is just what I have discovered so far.

It is not possible to start the car without the key in. The immobilizer has not been modified and also you need the key in and turned forward to unlock the steering.

The starting sequence is:

Insert key and unlock steering
Set left toggle to "RUN"
push START button (vrrrroooom!)
Set right toggle to "RUN"

The stopping sequence is:

Set both toggle to "STOP"
Remove key

So, does anyone else have a push to start button on their TDI? Please post pics! :D

remove the run/stop keyboard key and your setup is like having your own anti theft system.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
That is really cool Narf. Something like that would be great for pulse and glide.
Actually, I think since the interior lights come on and the radio goes off.... it might not work perfectly...

There is another member who has a switch that turns just the engine off... Fix_Until_Broke I believe...

I have to give you a big thumbs up for this outrageous fix, Narf! I'd like to suggest that you replace the switches with ones that you are less likely to hit while reaching for a drink or the radio, or while driving aggressively or in an emergency. If they could all be push-button on/off I think it would be safer. Not a big deal, just a suggestion.

I doubt this would work, but it has the right idea... clicky

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Could have run the "off while cranking power" through the first toggle switch and used a relay activated by the push button to disconnect it. Or a DPDT push button could have been used.
This is what I came up with so now I have just one switch and one push button...

I just finished building this into a wiring harness, I tested it and it is ready to plug in, just waiting for daylight!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
New location of switch and button. I wired it so that I have to push the red button half way down with my thumb and squeeze the trigger with my index finger at the same time for the starter to run to prevent unintentionally running the starter while shifting gears...

Must try to get some sleep now!

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
killer shift lever

but where are you gunna mount the missile trigger now?:D
but honestly thats sweet

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
This is all a little too "Red Green" for me, but wait a minute, there's no duct tape!

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
I must be missing something. In your drawing, what are the 2 off while cranking contacts supplied with? do they short with each other? Cause in the drawing it looks like the one energized by the run switch will close and short them together in a default state whenever the run switch is on.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I must be missing something. In your drawing, what are the 2 off while cranking contacts supplied with? do they short with each other? Cause in the drawing it looks like the one energized by the run switch will close and short them together in a default state whenever the run switch is on.
Yes there are two contacts for off while starting in the original ignition switch, they get shorted together to complete that circuit.

"Key in", "system on", and "start" are three separate contacts that get connected to the "iginition common" contact to complete those circuits.

Six contacts total.

edit: Still haven't had a chance to install it...

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
This is all a little too "Red Green" for me, but wait a minute, there's no duct tape!
Here is the duct tape on the metal shaft, folded in half so that it is sticky on both side and just enough to get a good grip when I bolt the shifter back together...

Nothing visible from the outside:

Last edited:

mrfeb14

TDI
formerly 2000 Jetta GLS
Here is the duct tape on the metal shaft, folded in half so that it is sticky on both side and just enough to get a good grip when I bolt the shifter back together...

Nothing visible from the outside:
hehe I love the symbol on your steering wheel! this should be a total kit upgrade :)

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Now that is a version #2...take the original and make it better...!

My "geek-less" wife even thought it was pretty cool.

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
This is what I came up with so now I have just one switch and one push button...

Is the relay on the left directly under the run switch necessary? That's the one that I think is going to energize with the run switch and close its NO terminal, which, in the drawing at least, will complete the Off While Cranking circuit whenever the run switch is on.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Is the relay on the left directly under the run switch necessary? That's the one that I think is going to energize with the run switch and close its NO terminal, which, in the drawing at least, will complete the Off While Cranking circuit whenever the run switch is on.
Yes, I want to complete the "off while cranking" circuit whenever the run switch is on.