www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 16th, 2010, 13:58   #1
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)
Default Push button ignition installed, pictures!

So I try to start my car about a month ago and I feel the key go limp. I snapped the little metal tab that engages the ignition switch (the white thing between my left thumb and fore finger in the following picture).

Does anyone know if the metal tab that goes into the white thing comes with the ignition housing or the lock cylinder? I tried to get the lock cylinder out following the "stick something in the hole and pull" technique described in the Bently manual but gave up. This is way more fun anyway:

The chrome toggle on the left is wired to both "key in" and "ignition on" contacts on the ignition switch wiring harness. I could have separate switches but I did not have enough room. The only loss is that when I shut down the engine the radio immediately shuts off and the interior lights immediately come on as if I shut down and removed the key right away.

The toggle on the right is wired in place of the "on while running but off while starting" contacts of the ignition switch. I just turn it on after the engine is running. It controls the AC, fans, DRLs, wipers and turn signals, and probably more this is just what I have discovered so far.

It is not possible to start the car without the key in. The immobilizer has not been modified and also you need the key in and turned forward to unlock the steering.

The starting sequence is:

Insert key and unlock steering
Set left toggle to "RUN"
push START button (vrrrroooom!)
Set right toggle to "RUN"

The stopping sequence is:

Set both toggle to "STOP"
Remove key

So, does anyone else have a push to start button on their TDI? Please post pics!

edit: Now in version 2.0 (from post #16 onward)

It works! Video!
1:35 Push Button Ignition on Thrustmaster Shifter

edit: click here for the "Thrustmaster Shifter" thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...43#post3050843

The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com

Last edited by NarfBLAST; August 18th, 2010 at 20:10.
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 14:24   #2
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

S2000 owners across the world are jealous
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:53   #3
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 41

Sorry not feelin it. Looks a little redneckish to me. Saving grace? MacGyver-izing your steering column to bypass a broken lock cylinder.
2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Ookpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:10   #4
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Your resale value just went way up, in Ontario.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:17   #5
cleaver
Veteran Member

Interesting, I would almost want to "install" one without the ignition broken. Yes, it looks "a little" redneckish, but I give it a "10" for inginuity and "cheapness".

Now to find better looking switches and clean it up for version 2.

IMO, best place to buy VW parts in Canada: contact Brian @ www.roselandtech.ca
cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 13:18   #6
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies and comments, keep 'em coming.

Yes this is only temporary, unless it works. I threw it together pretty quick and had to shave down the plastic button to get the switches to fit. I was thinking of getting a bigger button but not sure where to put it.
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
Old July 17th, 2010, 15:10   #7
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
Now to find better looking switches and clean it up for version 2.
S2000 push start button FTW!
2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Ookpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 21:00   #8
blizzard60
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookpic View Post
S2000 push start button FTW!
Sorry, gotta disagree with you there! I think this is the ULTIMATE use for the FUNK or GAS switch!!!!!!
blizzard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 21:32   #9
steelmb
Veteran Member

Could have run the "off while cranking power" through the first toggle switch and used a relay activated by the push button to disconnect it. Or a DPDT push button could have been used.
steelmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 03:17   #10
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Thumbs down Push button ignition

Is it April 1 again already? You got to be kidding!
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 13:14   #11
tivoKlr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44

My only suggestion is if you're going this direction, go all out and use those 3" toggle switches you see in the cockpit shots of NASCAR cars.

In all honesty though, your $hit broke, and you fixed it in a creative and functional way. Props to you even if it's a little off the wall.
2003 Jetta TDI - KERMA tuned - VNT 17/22 - Bosio PP764 - 2.5" Passenger Performance DP with AR25 resonator and 2.5" catback - SB Stage 3 clutch - 3 bar map - Boost gauge - EGT gauge - TT Fat Fives - KONI Yellows - Apex 40mm springs - UGLY Trailer Hitch
tivoKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 19:17   #12
FlashT
Veteran Member

That is really cool Narf. Something like that would be great for pulse and glide.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:15   #13
diesel-dave
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfBLAST View Post
So I try to start my car about a month ago and I feel the key go limp. I snapped the little metal tab that engages the ignition switch (the white thing between my left thumb and fore finger in the following picture).

Does anyone know if the metal tab that goes into the white thing comes with the ignition housing or the lock cylinder? I tried to get the lock cylinder out following the "stick something in the hole and pull" technique described in the Bently manual but gave up. This is way more fun anyway:

The chrome toggle on the left is wired to both "key in" and "ignition on" contacts on the ignition switch wiring harness. I could have separate switches but I did not have enough room. The only loss is that when I shut down the engine the radio immediately shuts off and the interior lights immediately come on as if I shut down and removed the key right away.

The toggle on the right is wired in place of the "on while running but off while starting" contacts of the ignition switch. I just turn it on after the engine is running. It controls the AC, fans, DRLs, wipers and turn signals, and probably more this is just what I have discovered so far.

It is not possible to start the car without the key in. The immobilizer has not been modified and also you need the key in and turned forward to unlock the steering.

The starting sequence is:

Insert key and unlock steering
Set left toggle to "RUN"
push START button (vrrrroooom!)
Set right toggle to "RUN"

The stopping sequence is:

Set both toggle to "STOP"
Remove key

So, does anyone else have a push to start button on their TDI? Please post pics!

remove the run/stop keyboard key and your setup is like having your own anti theft system.
2010 JSW wagon DSG loaded
2003 golf auto PP520's
diesel-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 22:02   #14
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashT View Post
That is really cool Narf. Something like that would be great for pulse and glide.
Actually, I think since the interior lights come on and the radio goes off.... it might not work perfectly...

There is another member who has a switch that turns just the engine off... Fix_Until_Broke I believe...

I have to give you a big thumbs up for this outrageous fix, Narf! I'd like to suggest that you replace the switches with ones that you are less likely to hit while reaching for a drink or the radio, or while driving aggressively or in an emergency. If they could all be push-button on/off I think it would be safer. Not a big deal, just a suggestion.

I doubt this would work, but it has the right idea... clicky

Last edited by manual_tranny; July 23rd, 2010 at 22:07.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 23:00   #15
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelmb View Post
Could have run the "off while cranking power" through the first toggle switch and used a relay activated by the push button to disconnect it. Or a DPDT push button could have been used.
This is what I came up with so now I have just one switch and one push button...

I just finished building this into a wiring harness, I tested it and it is ready to plug in, just waiting for daylight!