Stereo Upgrade Worth it!!!

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
When I bought my Canadian Golf Highline the navigation package was not an option. Also, the whole bluetooth 9W? issues was in full bloom and the dealer wanted $700 CAD! Now I think they've lowered the price to $400. Still rubbish if you ask me. I was not happy with the sound of the Canadian Highline stereo system either so I thought I'd start with upgrading the head unit. I decided to go with the Pioneer AVIC X920BT because of the on board Navigation, Bluetooth functions, and advanced iPod control.

The Scoche mounting bracket is the best match I could find locally where I could see them in person. If you wanted to upgrade to a single din unit you can get a single din adapter with change pouch on the bottom right from VW!! Perfect soft rubber match. In my case, I had to go with the Schoche unit but I'm happy with it.

I used a PAC SWI-PS and a PAC SWI-CAN to get the steering controls to work with the pioneer. The SWI-CAN also supplied the ACC wire to the Pioneer. It works great!! When you shut off the engine the stereo remains on for 1/2 Hr or until the key is removed. Much better than the factory system.

One thing of note though with the PAC SWI-CAN. You can't get the track foward and reverse buttons to function with it. I had asked PAC myself over the phone specifically if the SWI-CAN module would do it because their web site was not clear on the topic and they told me yes. Upon installation, I found it does not work. After a second call to PAC to find out ***??? They told me I would need the CR2-VW2 unit to obtain those functions. I purchased the PAC modules locally from an authorized dealer because I thought I may run into problems. My dealer is working on getting me the right module this week. I'll post back how it goes when I get it.

I ran the iPod cable to the factory spot. I purchased the iPod cable from ebay directly from Hong Kong. Awesome price but the cable doesn't pass the video signal from the iPod to the Pioneer. I didn't need this function at all because my 160G iPod is completely full of music, no room for video. The gentlemen from ebay kindly refunded all of my money because his description said it would do video as well. You can tell the video capable cables by the three rings on the 1/8" mini jack. Mine only has 2 rings like a regular headphone jack.

It was a little tricky removing the stock iPod pouch from the console. I had to make up a couple of keys from an old thin 1/2" wide metal ruler I had. I cut the ruler down the middle to make some keys to slip into the two tiny slots you can see above the pouch. There is some metal tabs inside there that you have to push to the center to remove the whole pouch with media port. Once removed it was easy to pull the Pioneer iPod cable through the soft rubber lining.

I ran the Pioneer microphone to the stock location in the pano roof console. It works great! It's funny that it doesn't look like a great spot for the mic but it works exceptionally well there. Because I never paid the $400 (dealer was asking $700 at the time!) for the Bluetooth option I had a piece of foam stuck in where the mic would have gone. The foam doubled as a placement holder for the new Pioneer mic.

**Edit** In practical use I've found this spot for the mic to be great for the Voice Recognition functions to work but I was getting complaints during phone conversations of sound quality. I ended up moving the mic to stick out of the overhead console aimed at the driver and it works perfect for phone conversations as well now. It is an eyesore though.... I plan on painting the mic to match the headliner color.

I'm happy to report that I think the sound from the factory speakers is quite good! I am a true blue audiophile and also a sound engineer with much recording, mixing, mastering experience. There is nothing wrong with the factory crossovers or speakers. With a nice high powered head unit driving them, the three way front speakers sound good. The imaging is all screwed up because of speaker placement but that's a little bit much to ask of any car system. The rear two way speakers are very good! Better than the fronts IMO. I have the Pioneer faded to the front a little to ballance out the sound of all speakers.

I'm going to install my JL Audio 10W3V3 in a sealed enclosure right in the cargo area on a XLR quick connect. If I need the space I'll simply remove the box and eliminate the head unit's High Pass Filter to allow all the low end through the mains. The sound with the stock speakers is very impressive in that you don't need a sub to get that low end out of them. The only reason I'm installing the sub is to allow the use of the Pioneers HPF on the mains crossed over at 80Hz so I can get way more volume out of the Pioneers internal amp. The sub and external amp will handle all the high power low end freeing the mains up to do an excellent job on the rest. I couldn't believe the low end you can get out of the stock speakers and this Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. Not at earth shattering volumes but definitly loud enough for the average user. I was fully prepared to do a complete speaker upgrade but don't think I'm going to now. I'll have to see how the stock speakers work crossed over and with a sub before I decide.

Now if anyone knows a good place to get rid of my stock RCD510 I'd love to hear it!:p

Stay tuned for the amp / sub install and the PAC C2R-VW2!

Last edited:

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Nice. Damn this has me wanting to trash my rcd510. I can get this unit from pioneer for a steal. HMMMMM. dang you for showing me this.

back2vw

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2016 Jetta GLI SEL
I like it!
Throw the RCD-510 up on vwvortex.com. A lot of mkvi cars come with a more basic stereo and I believe the RCD-510 is a direct swap that people are paying a decent amount for.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Very nice. I'm still wiring up the AVIC-Z120BT so I can use the factory mic and antenas. The head unit swap is a great sound improvement, but upgrading the speakers makes a world of difference too. What did you do for the GPS antenna?

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Very nice. I'm still wiring up the AVIC-Z120BT so I can use the factory mic and antenas. The head unit swap is a great sound improvement, but upgrading the speakers makes a world of difference too. What did you do for the GPS antenna?
I just installed the supplied Pioneer unit above the air vents up in the dash. You have to remove the screws below the vents and lift the whole thing up to access a nice flat spot to place the GPS sensor.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Nice job MuthaFunk!
What would you say the total cost was and time required to do such an upgrade?

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I bought the head unit from http://www.eclectic-mart.com/servlet/StoreFront

He was great with shipping up to Canada. I received my package quickly and with no duty or extra costs. The second most expensive part of it was the PAC modules. Up here in Canada they cost me $80 each from a local authorized dealer and I needed 2 of them. I kind of splurged on the PAC modules and didn't buy online as I suspected with a new vehicle I'd could run into issues. At least then I could get PACs help and the dealer would be obliged to help me to get all the functions to work as the factory.

The SWI-CAN interface I currently have installed works flawless with the exception of the track foward reverse buttons. No delay between hitting the volume, phone answer or microphone buttons and the unit reacting. The buttons function just like the factory. I've also put up a nice VW splash screen for start up. That coupled with the matching red lighting gives it a upgraded factory look. Here's some examples:

I haven't edited the third picture to fit my screen perfectly yet but the others all look cool. The only other expenses was the Scoche mounting kit $50 (could be found cheaper online), the FM antenna adapter $20, an FM signal amplifier $25 that is needed because of the "in glass" style antenna in the golf wagon, and the factory wiring harness adapter $40. Labor time was about 4Hrs to soldier up the harnesses and install. I could do it in about half the time now that I know how to take apart the dash. I was very careful the first time, as I was reading each step out of the Bentley service manual.

All in all, I think I kept it under $1000 US and I now have a fully operational voice activated NAV unit, a top of the line bluetooth module that does phone and music streaming, and a wild iPod interface that responds to voice commands like "play the artist Dave Mathews Band". It's an unreal value when compared to factory equipment. Plus I may be able to get some $$ for my RCD 510 on the used market.

dwpc

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
A couple questions:
Does the Pioneer use the audio/phone controls on the wheel?
Is there a USB port? A SD card slot?

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Yes it uses the audio and phone controls on the wheel when installed with PAC steering wheel interface (SWI) modules. There is a mini SD slot on the front of the deck that will play music, video ect. There is also a USB slot on the end of the included cable.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Sweet Mutha.....much cheaper than FutureShop for the HU....if I ever feel the need to upgrade I'll be giving you a call!

Teenwolf

TDI
Golf Sport
Nice job! I have the same car and will be installing a new head unit next week when it arrives in the mail, but I have no clue how to get the dash apart. Do you have any info and/or tips for getting at the head unit?

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I just looked on youtube for videos on upgrading to the RNS510. One tip I'm not sure that was in the video is to apply masking tape around the stereo cover plate, on the soft touch rubber part of the dash. The tape will make sure you don't nick the soft rubber as you pry the cover plate off.

Teenwolf

TDI
Golf Sport
Thanks. So there's no screws for the cover plate; just clips? From your first pic, it looks like there are four clips. Two on the sides towards the top and two on the bottom.

SeaTDI2

TDI
MK6 Golf
Very nice work, thanks for the info MuthaFunk. It's really good news to hear that a HU-only upgrade is good enough. Too bad the RCD 510 doesn't have line level outs, but this is much better than replacing all the speakers.

Regarding the speakers, you have the stock premium 8 system and not the dyna upgrade, right? Just wanted to make sure. I don't know if there are differences here between the US and Canadian markets. My TDI has only the tweets on the door sills and the speakers in the lower front of the doors, I don't see a midrange anywhere (unless it's also embedded in that same part of the door).

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
AFAIK DynaUpgrade is a US thing....it isn't mentioned anywhere in the brochure....the Highline in Canada has::

Premium 8 AM/FM radio sound system with 6.5-inch touch screen and in-dash 6-disc CD changer, MP3 format readable, SD card input, 10 speakers, SIRIUS Satellite Radio integrated, and theft-deterrent warning light and coding.
Auxiliary input jack
Media Device Interface (MDI) with MP3 player connectivity
SIRIUS Satellite Radio with limited complimentary subscription (3 months)

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Thanks. So there's no screws for the cover plate; just clips? From your first pic, it looks like there are four clips. Two on the sides towards the top and two on the bottom.
There are multipul clips all the way around. I think at least three on the top and bottom and two on either side. You'll have to be very careful not to break the cover plate as the metal clips hold very tight.

Very nice work, thanks for the info MuthaFunk. It's really good news to hear that a HU-only upgrade is good enough. Too bad the RCD 510 doesn't have line level outs, but this is much better than replacing all the speakers.

Regarding the speakers, you have the stock premium 8 system and not the dyna upgrade, right? Just wanted to make sure. I don't know if there are differences here between the US and Canadian markets. My TDI has only the tweets on the door sills and the speakers in the lower front of the doors, I don't see a midrange anywhere (unless it's also embedded in that same part of the door).
I have 3 way speakers in the front and 2 way's in the back. Here is a very informative thread on a 2008 but as far as I can tell, it's still the same speaker configuration in the door panel as found on my 2010.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103934

SkipCycle

TDI
2015 Golf Station Wagen TDI SEL w/ DSG
This has been a great thread and really has me contemplating options. I found an Alpine head unit on Crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500INAW90B/Alpine-INA-W900BT.html?c=3&tp=20212&avf=N
that I'm also considering. Would really love to hear how the SWC wiring works out and what the sound is like when you add a sub. I'm liking the idea of putting it behind the passenger seat with a disconnect if I ever really need the room. Would prefer to leave the speakers right where they are but I definitely want a better sound.

Teenwolf

TDI
Golf Sport
I just installed a new head unit and I have to agree with MuthaFunk. The sound quality is very good for factory speakers. I also installed a sub and it blends well with the factory speakers when I utilize the HPF and LPF on the head unit. My head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. I'm sure some after market speakers would bump up the SQ a notch, but I'm very happy with the sound I have now.

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I just installed a new head unit and I have to agree with MuthaFunk. The sound quality is very good for factory speakers. I also installed a sub and it blends well with the factory speakers when I utilize the HPF and LPF on the head unit. My head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. I'm sure some after market speakers would bump up the SQ a notch, but I'm very happy with the sound I have now.

Glad to hear it all worked out with the sub as well! I'm still waiting for the PAC module to come in before I add the sub because I'd like to minimize the # of times I pull the dash apart. I'll post my findings.

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Well I made this sub box for my previous vehicle and it served me well. It's a JL audio 10W3V3 in the factory sized sealed enclosure made with MDF. The dimensions were right out of the instructions that came with the sub.

It's spent the last 5 years without a speaker grill and carpet. I finally finished it off for the VW:

As seen below, I mounted an XLR jack to the back of the enclosure to allow easy removal if the space is required.

Below is the speaker wire from the amp. I made sure to put the female end on the amp so the chance of it shorting the amps outputs while disconnected from the sub would be minimized.

Here is the run for the amp power wire:

I came through the firewall below the steering wheel, there is a nice rubber grommet I pierced and then pushed the wire through:

From there I took the cables down through the kick panel and then down the side of the car. Some of the trim retaining pins stayed in the car. Some needlenose pliers got them out easily and then they went back on the trim without any issues. I was prepared to replace them if they got dammaged (local dealer had stock) but it looks like they are fine.

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
My old trusty Alpine MRV-1000 could not fit beneath either seat in the front of the car so I had to mount the amp in the trunk. It's not super pretty but my car audio competition days are over::)

One thing I also got around to doing today was installing the correct antenna adapter. With the in glass antenna you will need an amplified aftermarket adapter. 2010 golf specific ones are not out yet but you can use the METRA 40-EU55 by cutting the clip retainer off of the adapter with a knife. The fit is snug enough that I wasn't worried about it falling out without the clip retainer.

**Edit** Much later I found out the AM didn't work with the METRA 40-EU55. In order to get the AM and FM to function I bought a Dual Fakra Adapter off of ebay from a source in the UK. Like the Metra, I had to cut the clip reatiner off of one of the ends to get it to physically fit. The fit was tight but I still put a zip tie around all 4 wires which placed pressure on the connections to make sure they didn't come out.

I will be getting the PAC C2R-VW2 module tomorrow so I'll post how it works. The only function I hope to gain with the C2R-VW2 over the SWI-CAN is the track/preset foward and reverse buttons on the steering wheel controls. Everything else works with the SWI-CAN.

Last edited:

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
My impressions of the factory speakers with the sub are good! I like this sub box as it's more designed for sound quality. I've always wondered about how those stealth boxes sound. For me, it just comes down to economics. I can put this box in any future vehicle I get. Not the case with the custom stealth boxes....

I'm sure aftermarket door speakers that were sized and installed properly would make an improvement to the sound as well if they were given their own amp. It's been my experience that often the powerhungry aftermarket speakers can sometimes kill the sound if you don't give them a decent amp. I'm not sure if the Pioneer heads "High Power 18 WRMS" is enough to drive any decent aftermarket speakers.

Still, some nice Focals would be a dream. Although I already have replacement JL speakers, I think I'm going to save myself the hassle of installing them and stick with the stock ones. The replacements I have most definitly require more power than the head can supply. I may change my mind in a month or so and end up installing them but we'll see...

Last edited:

l3it3r

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TDI Sportwagen
Very nice! I was also considering this HU, but I'm thinking about holding out a few more months since there are some pretty cool ones on the horizon. Did you get the forward/reverse track functionality back? (edit: ok, I'll wait for you to install it :) )

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I got around to installing the PAC C2R-VW2 steering wheel interface today. It's much much more than just a steering wheel interface though. It's a delux wiring harness at the same time! If you're going with an aftermarket nav unit, in addition to speaker wires, power, ground, you have to connect a number of nav specific wires. Speed pulse, parking brake position, head light status, transmission in revers signal (for reverse camera), are all a little difficult to find in the cars factory wiring. The C2R-VW2 picks all of these signals off of the Can Bus!!!

I was able to wire the whole thing up in the comfort of my house workstation. It allowed me to do a nice soldier and rubber heat shrink job on all of the connections. Then it was click, click, click, click, program the steering wheel buttons and done!! It was that easy!

The instructions for both the PAC C2R-VW2 and the Pioneer were very easy for even the novice to figure out. I'd highly recomend this module for anyone thinking of upgrading to an aftermarket nav unit.

As for how it all works? Simply superb! All of the steering wheel functions work as the factory ones did. Reaction time is almost instant.

One more thing of note is that the Pioneer units offered today can be easily (and cheaply) modified to allow the use of the NAV destination change and DVD viewing while the car is underway. With the stock setting, the parking brake is supposed to be engaged in order to change nav destinations and view DVD's. Details on how can be found on this forum:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=31621

There is also a youtube video on the topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lxMNf7rLZo&feature=fvsr

Chi2

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
Hi MuthaFunk,

Your installation thread is inspiring- thanks for sharing. Couple questions:

Did you have to remove the headliner to install the microphone?

Did you install a backup camera? If not, and you did some research on it, how easy do you think adding a bu camera to the head unit would be?

Thanks!

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I didn't have to remove the headliner entirely. I did however have to remove the driver side visor. From there I was able to just tuck the wire in. As for a BU camera, I didn't do any research. I can tell you that the connection to the HU is a single RCA video connection. The camera will require 12V power from your rear lights that are on the side of the wagen. Therefore you'd have to do a power wire run from the tailights up to the top of the hatch where it would meet up with the video RCA wire from the head unit and then down to the licence plate where the camera would/could go. I suppose you could have a reverse camera mounted right at the top of the rear window in the car and not nessesarily on the licence plate. :rolleyes:

With the enterance of wires to the back hatch at the top of the car, it leaves running the video wire from the head unit through the roof as your best option. I don't know how much room there is in the roof to pull wires through. I don't think it would be too bad if you used a fish tape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_tape.