www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 8th, 2010, 18:43   #1
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good
Default How to video: On car VE injection pump seal replacement video

This is the one that we have been waiting for. It shows, in detail, how to replace the three most-likely-to-be-leaking seals on an ALH injection pump: the top cover, quantity adjuster & head seal. It is also applicable to the pumps on the A3/B4 cars.

It is long, but some will appreciate this. There are seven parts. Watch all 7 before beginning the repair to ensure you have all tools and equippment on hand. VCDS required!

Grab your T-30 and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR44StvcXms

Last edited by runonbeer; December 16th, 2010 at 19:01.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 18:44   #2
runonbeer

Reserved
Old July 8th, 2010, 21:23   #3
chlavenka

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Fuel Economy: 43/51

I see many posts about the three main injection pump seal replacements (head, top, and middle). My question is about the other side, or timing belt/sprocket side. Is there a replaceable seal here where it mounts onto the bracket, and if so, is it included in one of the seal kits for sale?
I've looked with a light and mirror all around and my pump really seems to have a small, slow leak emanating from all around this mount.
-2002 Golf TDI, ALH
-Carl
chlavenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 22:16   #4
far_cry
Veteran Member

that's great
it's should be sticky

far_cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:03   #5
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Great stuff guys. Definitely should be either a sticky or linked in the How-To thread.

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:01   #6
KROUT
persona non grata

this will help a lot of people thanks
KROUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:23   #7
SheeB
Veteran Member

Thanks alot for the video Runonbeer!
01 Jetta TDI 5 speed, Stock VNT-15 Turbo, 11mm IP, Evolution Skid Plate, TDIHeater, TT Bushings, Cold Weather Air Filter w/Snow Screen Deleted, CAT air filter restriction gauge, New South EGT & Boost Gauges w/Steering Column Pod, CAT Fuel Filter w/Nicktane Filter Head, 5 Light Brake Mod, Bosio PP520 nozzles, DG EGR & Cooler Deleted, Catalytic Deleted, Southbend Stage 3 Clutch (DMF version).
SheeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 19:32   #8
mtbr297

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlavenka View Post
I see many posts about the three main injection pump seal replacements (head, top, and middle). My question is about the other side, or timing belt/sprocket side. Is there a replaceable seal here where it mounts onto the bracket, and if so, is it included in one of the seal kits for sale?
I've looked with a light and mirror all around and my pump really seems to have a small, slow leak emanating from all around this mount.
-2002 Golf TDI, ALH
-Carl
The front seal isn't a job you can do without taking it to a pump shop. I requires removing the hub and the hub isn't keyed and nearly impossible to put back in the correct position. So if the front seal is leaking you will need a complete pump rebuild by dfis in Portland.
mtbr297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 14:50   #9
KCEE

TDI(s): 2001 NB

Excellent how to! I just changed my seals, it took me several attempts. Let me explain what I found out, it may help someone else. I bought two kits $12.95 ea just in case I messed up. I also went to a local O ring shop and bought three Viton seals. The first seal I scuffed so I did the job again. Broke the second seal somehow. The third seal I really took my time and used the utmost care. after assembly I still could not get the pump to prime (using the method in the video) so I took out the seal thinking I must have damaged it. It was perfect so I reinstalled it and changed the cover and adjuster plate gaskets again. Still would not prime. Thought the vitons must be the wrong size so I replaced with the Bosch O ring. Still would not prime. Then I thought that I would remove the adjuster plate and fill the pump with diesel. It worked! The pump took the prime, bled the injectors, set IQ and now I am very happy. One point I wish to reiterate, do not take all of the fuel out of the pump. If you do it may be extremely hard to prime.
KCEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 19:00   #10
runonbeer

When you back the pump head out of the body to replace the seal, you will "remove all of the fuel from the pump." It's unavoidable. I'm not quite sure what problem you were encountering there.

Congratulations and thanks for the bump!
Old December 17th, 2010, 20:39   #11
Jerry_T
Veteran Member

Very nice vid ! ! ! Great attention to detail.

Is it possible and / or advisable to replace the quantity adjuster?

Mine has the flashing glow plug light and has thrown a code indicating QA out of range. I have messed with the adjustment but no change. She surges at idle and the fuel economy has dropped.

If replaceable, where might I purchase one?

Thanks,

JT

1949 GMC 3 on the tree
1959 Pontiac Catalina Wagon Auto
1991 Chevy WT/1500 5 spd - com truck
1996 GTI 2.0 5 spd toy
1997 Jetta GL 2.0 5 spd Daughter #1
1998 Jetta GLS 2.0 5 spd Daughter #2
1997 Jetta GLS 2.0 5 spd Son (Darth Vader Car)

2002 Jetta GLS 2.0 5 spd .756 5th gear - Wife
2001 Golf GLS TDI 5 spd - RC3 - .658 5th gear - ventectomy - racepipe - egr delete - pp520's - inframe rebuild 3/08 - Me
2005 Honda XR650L Dualsport
Jerry_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:05   #12
sqhschief
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_T View Post
Very nice vid ! ! ! Great attention to detail.

Is it possible and / or advisable to replace the quantity adjuster?

Mine has the flashing glow plug light and has thrown a code indicating QA out of range. I have messed with the adjustment but no change. She surges at idle and the fuel economy has dropped.

If replaceable, where might I purchase one?

Thanks,

JT
You have a lot of cars

Mufflerectomy, Ventectomy, 5 Brake Light Mod. Curt hitch. HID BiXenon RETROFIT 4300K Morimoto Denso 35W Ballast, "Coming Home Lights" Mod, all LED interior lighting, brake/signals, and license plate lights.
sqhschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 16:01   #13
Vesparide

GREAT VIDEO!!
I just did my seal with the video and it was very detailed oriented. Follow it to a "T" and you won't go wrong. Runonbeer advises on another post to replace the head plug seal, excellent idea, but you will have to fabricate a specific tool to remove the head plug which is in the middle of the head between the injector outlets.
Mine was leaking there also. 15/16" 6 point socket with 3 sides rounded out.
Vesparide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 20:16   #14
runonbeer

High five!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:29   #15
Losha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbr297 View Post
The front seal isn't a job you can do without taking it to a pump shop. I requires removing the hub and the hub isn't keyed and nearly impossible to put back in the correct position. So if the front seal is leaking you will need a complete pump rebuild by dfis in Portland.
Actually you can replace front seal easily if you know how & pump is still in good condition, doesnt have too much wear on housing from rollers. I have done lot of them for past 2 years with great success, the first one did on customers car and he been driving for 2 years now no issues.

Malone Tuning Dealer for SD, ND NE, IA, MN
'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID
Losha is offline   Reply With Quote