How to upload/post pictures using the TDIClub picture server

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
Update: August 23, 2020: Since we have now migrated to Xenforo, the instructions below no longer apply as they were for the old system.

You can read the new instructions at this link.

-------------------------------------------

Uploading and posting pictures using the TDIClub picture server

With the new forum server update, the picture server has also been upgraded. Here's the new procedure.

To insert images in a post, you can use different services such as Photobucket, Picasa, Flickr and others but the advantage of using the TDIClub picture server is that your photos will always stay online in your posts. Pictures showed as a link to another website have the risk of being deleted or the link can sometimes change resulting in a missing picture in your message. That is particularly bad when the images are in a important reference post like a "how to".
Even better, your account on the picture server is already created using your forum identifications informations.

How to do in 10 easy steps:

1. Access the server by the link pics.tdiclub.com or by clicking the "Photos" link into the forum's header.

2. If you are not already logged in, you need to do it by clicking on "Login".

3. Login using the login informations of the TDIClub forum.

4. Once connected, your username will be shown.
Click on "Upload Photos".

5. Select the file from your computer using the Browse button and then click "Upload/Submit".

6. You can now add some optional informations about your image.
Click "Process".

7. Your photo will now be shown in your personal folder.
Click on it.

a) To insert a small sized image which is a link to the big image in your personal folder : Select the address "Linked Thumbnail" and copy it (CTRL-C).​
For the other choices, click on the icon next to the previous link.
b) To insert a medium sized image which will be a link to this image in your photo folder : Select the address "Linked Medium" and copy it (CTRL-C).​
c) To insert a medium sized image only : Select the address "Medium Image" and copy it (CTRL-C).​

9. Now go back to your already started post or start a new post/thread.
Paste (CTRL-V) the address you just copied in your message. I decided to paste the 3 links to show you the difference it makes.

10. Here's the result !

Some more informations:

You can also upload some small videos, PDF documents, Word and Excel files and insert them into your message the same way you would do it for an image with the "Linked Thumbnail" link.

This "How to" isn't explaining every aspects of the picture server but is you have any questions, just ask.

English not being my primary language, if something is wrong, please tell me.
French version

Last edited by a moderator:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Nice write-up, Torque.

Things haven't been the same since the forum was upgraded. Even though it says "click on photo to make larger (or smaller)", it doesn't work...nothing happens.

Also, I don't see that little icon you are pointing to with the red arrow or the two boxes below it that are the text/code you are supposed to copy :(

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
I told Fred about that Larger image issue, he will fix that soon.

The little icon should be at the right hand side of the "linked thumbnail" address of under it like I posted.
The other links will appear when you find/click on that icon. :D
Maybe it's a bug.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
OK, I'll try that. Maybe I need to find larger pictures.

We used to see links defined by the picture's size that you could click. No we just see the file size and the hyperlink(s) is gone.

Merci :)

Last edited:

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Thanks for doing this Torque_Delight. It is some great work and I'm sure it will help the rest of the members significantly. Under the old implementation I had done a number of customizations and it is apparent I'll need to do some additional tweaking to this update as well. If there are any other issues/problems with the pics section, please post in a separate thread so we can keep this one just for the how-to.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Well I did read the text on the upload page several times and did notice it say photoS but couldn't figure out how to upload several at once. Does anyone know if you can you upload more than one picture at a time ?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Can you upload more than one picture at a time ?
Nope, not at this point.
I don't think so...
Fred that would be a nice add-on :p
I agree. Let me see what I can do/if there is any potential for that.
I simply use MSO 2003 w/ 2007 upgarde to re-size a large picture to a web size.
To resize pictures just upload the full size version. The picture server will automatically keep a copy of the full size image as well as make a medium sized version which is fine of the forums and an thumbnail.

Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta wagon
To resize pictures just upload the full size version. The picture server will automatically keep a copy of the full size image as well as make a medium sized version which is fine of the forums and an thumbnail.
Hey, what he said is KEY. You can't upload photos that you have downsized if you still want to be able to show the 'medium' size in your thread. There is some minimum picture size threshold that once your photo is below it (like if you shrink the size before you upload), the little icon next to 'linked thumbnail' won't appear as an option, then you're stuck with only uploading the thumbnail link in your thread. Long story short, upload full sized photos -- funny since I shrink them to save space on the server!

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Uploading from my PC works fine, and has for as long as I've been here. But, does anyone have any idea why I can't upload from my Mac (OSX 10.4-Lepord.) Which is what I normally use for graphics anyway.

Mac doesn’t even give me the same upload options in the menu, what’s going on here? Anyone know?

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
If you have the ClickToFlash option enabled in Safari, you will see a greyed-out box under the 'Want to be notified by email when users post replies?' option. Click on that and you will see the 'Select file for upload' button.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Power_Not_Speed, Thanks! I'll give this a try when get back on my Mac. And yes I run Safari, and keep everything updated.

Last edited:

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I've tried to post some pics on the site but I keep getting a message that the file size is exceeded. all of my pics are around 3mb's. I've tried zipping them but I still get the same result....file size exceeded.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I'm trying to upload a 400k jpg, and it keeps bombing out. I get something like a "303 error". No joy. Can someone point me in the direction of information on uploading an avatar image? I'm not seeing it.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_D_I_POWER
I simply use MSO 2003 w/ 2007 upgarde to re-size a large picture to a web size.

Could you please make it possible to post webpage optimized pictures?

I have made an effort to keep the picture size reasonable for both server space considerations and bandwidth. I optimize all my pictures using photoshop so they will be easy to view with good resolution. Now I can only use them as links. :(

In order to work with the new system I would have to re-upload almost 200 photos, and naturally my account doesn't have space for that many at full resolution.

Wouldn't there be some way to give the option of using the photo as uploaded?

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I can't upload any files to the picture server anymore, no matter the format. I've tried JPEG, GIF, PDF, PNG. Nothing works. File is about 400Mb. Is it too big?

I get error 404.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
400Mb ??? by about 399Mb oversized...

you want to keep the photos around 1MB, or 1000KB at most for web servers. Typically 300KB is best for quality and performance.

If you are just viewing it on your screen, you can drop the size to 50-100KB.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I can't upload any files to the picture server anymore, no matter the format. I've tried JPEG, GIF, PDF, PNG. Nothing works. File is about 400Mb. Is it too big?

I get error 404.
MB or KB? I just did a test and it seemed OKfor a 1MB file.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hi all! I'm able to upload photos to the Gallery, but I can't figure out how to move them between my albums, around move them around once they are in "my photos," or otherwise manipulate location, etc. Is there a "how-to" for managing photos after they are uploaded? Thanks in advance!
-Steve