A4 Jetta Euro Trunk Latch

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I hijacked someone elses thread with this question and it's looking like it might turn into something.

[edit] It works! - jump down to Post 39 and Post 53 for details! [edit]

Fix Until Broke said:
I'd really like to have the A4 Jetta trunk latch thingy available in europe on the bora's.

It makes the trunk function like a door - when the doors are unlocked there's a latch on the trunk where you lift it to open it so you don't have to reach in the drivers door and pull the button every time you want to go in the trunk. When the doors are locked the latch does not open the trunk.

Just something else that the car should have come with from the factory...
So, going above and beyond - ryanp pulled some parts on a hunch and posted up a picture of the potential parts

ryanp said:
I've got the complete setup from a Bora/Jetta Mk4:

I'd assume it can be retro fitted, will send it for shipping cost and if it fits you owe me a few more ££
So he's sending it over and I'll see if it works. I'll let you know if it does or not when we get that far.

I hope it does, I'm sick and tired of having to go open the drivers door every time I want to get something from the trunk.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
fitzski - thanks for the link. I know I've heard of this before and searched for it but couldn't find it.

After reading through it (and admittedly I didn't follow it 100%), it looks like ryanp's parts are on the right track. We'll see.

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 C55 AMG 2003 V6 24V BDF
your missing the trunk lock which has the correct switch on it....ive done this mod years ago and if you have all the parts you only need to run one wire up to the lower A-Pillar...also replace your driver and passenger door panel like i did with euro ones if you have the funds

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
the euro trunk lock has two buttons on the switch...also the arm holds the one button down which allows the handle to activate the latch and the other is for when you open the truck via key the mecanism is different onthe euro lock.....also the trunk can be deactivated with the car unarmed by hitting the unarm buttonagain on the fob....and also the euro cars dont have the passeger door handle with the lock switch on it

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I can throw the lock in with the parcel, will have to see if i can take the lock barrel out as i sell the lock set separate too!

Some have the passenger lock, some dont.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
FYI this stuff can be purchased in the states. Came in '01 and '02 jetta wagons. Ryan will CRUSH north american prices, I'm sure, but if someone wants to go the new route, they can be had...

Cheers,
-Chris

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yes, I have done so! SOOOO much better. Always unlocked when the doors are unlocked!

I have set my car up so that all the doors unlock as soon as I pull my key out of the ignition (with VCDS). So basically, as soon as I get somewhere, my key goes in my pocket because all my doors and my hatch are unlocked. I have also set up (with VCDS) so that ALL my door unlock with just ONE press of the unlock key. So with this one press my hatch is now unlocked too! Phenomenal ;) I'm just having issues with the third button on my remote not working, but I have a feeling that is an issue with a coding I changed with VDS-Pro, not something to do with this mod...

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I have the parts from Ryan - have not had time to install it and/or wire it up.

I think from reading the thread linked in Post 2 of this thread that there's some additional wiring/ECU work to do to make it work OEM.

I THINK if you just install it it will work just like the interior door switch which would unlock the trunk anytime you push the button effectively leaving the trunk latched, but un-locked all the time. I don't know if you can turn the valet lock in the door switch and have it locked that way, but don't know if it will open then with the trunk switch when the other doors are un-locked.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Some things to clarify!!!

I have a Wagon, so all I needed to to was switch the "hatch wiring harness" and install the new lock with the micro-switch. Bingo - done.

On a wagon there is NO valet lock in the driver's door (not really needed as you could just reach over the rear bench and help yourself to stuff ;) ) so I have no idea about that particular issue.

Seeing as I am on a continuing tread of Eurofying my car, I'm now on the look out for euro door cards without the hatch pop or the gas pop...

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
ive done this on my sedan,correctly and even replaced my driver and passenger door panels...like Chris mention it functions a lil different on the sedan...if you read my post code the CCM correctly when key removed PR-7AP for all doors open the trunk button becomes active ...and if you push unlock again on your fob it disables/locks the trunk switch but doors stay unlocked, and and push again to activate.

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
alright, if i am going to be getting a euro trunk....what do i need to do to get this to work or does getting the euro trunk negate the rewiring?

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I can only speak for the wagon, but I *believe* it is the same for the sedan.

ALL of the wiring differences are in the "trunk wiring harness". So you ONLY need to get that. If you are purchasing a Euro Trunk or Hatch and it is coming with the wiring and the lock, you should already be good to go! You'll be getting the lock with the microswitch needed and the wiring already in place.

Having said that, almost all the hatches I have seen have the wiring and lock ripped out of them, so you need to make sure you ask for it...

Cheers,
-Chris

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
there's a guy who is selling them on vortex so i'll be sure to ask that they leave it 100% intact. i've already asked regarding the emblem which i knew was different(has anyone changed the key core in a trunk emblem?) but i'll be sure to ask regarding the wiring. thanks for the heads up

sorry to thread jack :)

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
have you a link on how to change your lock cylinder to the new emblem that you have for the euro wiring? that is the one thing right now i'm having trouble finding

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I have no "key" access to my car any more (blanks/covers everywhere), so I just left the one that came in the emblem in there (I didn't give my VIN when ordering, so I guess it is key for some other key, I don't really know).

I have no idea how you would change the cylinder. I tried to do that with a glove box once and about 100 tiny springs and clips and tumblers came flying out, so I didn't want to try it with the one on the trunk ;) !

Let me know if you find anything, 'cuz it would be nice to use the same key as I use for the ignition, I guess!!!

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
107827469FF...part number for new euro lock keyed to you master via vin...gotta order from the deal lil over $150 includes the micro switch

JettaGetUpandGo

TDI
No TDI. 2005 Jetta GLI
I saw this thread a couple of days ago and got really excited, then I compared my friend's 02 trunk lid with my 05 trunk lid. On the 02 there is a rubber pocket where the switch should be. On the 05 there is no pocket, just an indent in the metal where the pocket should be.

I wonder if the proper mounting holes are available inside the lid? I'm sure I'd be navigating in uncharted territory if I tried this.

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
not the right color....its PG, and even if it was black, it would be black magic pearl not uniblack(assuming for your sig'd car) you can actually pick one up from any 04+ car if you're looking for one.

sorry to thread jack

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm sorry, what's different about the 04+ wiring/switch inside? I can't exactly picture what JGU&G is saying...