www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 22:47   #1
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several
Default B4V VNT17/22 Conversion How To

I was recently approached by a gentlemen with a squeaky clean passat who wanted to convert to VNT. Well, I started on it later yesterday and after today, here's where I'm at.

This is the biggest obstacle. Trying to a fit a 17/22 just wasn't going to happen with the stock cast alum bracket. Some 1/4" steel was called into duty.

.400" spacer needed to make everything line up all nice.

The engine mount also needed some massaging to clear the actuator under engine movement.

Hmmmm, that's not a K03

Last edited by Whitbread; June 22nd, 2010 at 22:50.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 22:48   #2
Whitbread

Reserved for picture use.

Vacuum ball mounted. Used some 3/4"x1/8" aluminum.

N75 mounted

Everything all tucked away

Don't worry, the one worm clamp is not permanent.

Not a necessity, but why not at this point?

Very minimal trimming. Can't even tell

Last edited by Whitbread; June 29th, 2010 at 22:52.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 22:48   #3
Whitbread

Alritey, now for the technical details;

For the computer, that's all in your tuners magic so effort on your part is needed there.

If you can get the N75 out of a 99.5 mk4, it will plug right in. Otherwise just switch the connector for the later style one. Hook up the OUT line to the turbo, VACUUM to your vacuum source, and then ATMO to an atmospheric vent. In this application I'll be using a small fuel filter and a short piece of line instead of running a line all the way to the other side of the car to the airbox.

With the vacuum ball, just make sure the white end of the check valve faces the ball. And make sure you tap vacuum before the check valve for the brake booster.

That's all really. It was actually much easier than I was expecting. I don't know why every mk3 doesn't have at least a vnt15 on it .

Last edited by Whitbread; June 29th, 2010 at 22:59.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:06   #4
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Did you make the 1/4" steel engine mount? If so, any plans on making it publicly available and for what cost?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:36   #5
VWannabe
Veteran Member

I would also like to know about the mount. Somewhere I read that a possible OEM solution to the mount was to use the ABA 8-valve rear motor mount bracket. I cannot attest to the feasibility of this but I thought I would mention it.
Also, I have read about several conversions and none of them modified the actual motor mount. Is this due to the size of the VNT 17/22?
Is the exhaust manifold you are using the integrated one or is this a separate manifold and turbo? And what else is needed? Will a stock A4 downpipe work on the A3/B4 chassis or is this custom? Lots of questions I have!
VWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:46   #6
Whitbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
Did you make the 1/4" steel engine mount? If so, any plans on making it publicly available and for what cost?
Yes, I made the mount. I could easily make some for sale but in all honesty I'm so busy I couldn't even think about making some till mid-late august at the soonest. However, Shortysclimbin is making them and has a post for up for them in the vendor section. Probably the best bet if you need one asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWannabe View Post
I would also like to know about the mount. Somewhere I read that a possible OEM solution to the mount was to use the ABA 8-valve rear motor mount bracket. I cannot attest to the feasibility of this but I thought I would mention it.
Also, I have read about several conversions and none of them modified the actual motor mount. Is this due to the size of the VNT 17/22?
Is the exhaust manifold you are using the integrated one or is this a separate manifold and turbo? And what else is needed? Will a stock A4 downpipe work on the A3/B4 chassis or is this custom? Lots of questions I have!
I don't know about the ABA mount working or not. I would be doubtful of it working with a 17/22, it's freakin huge and needs a crapload of clearance. Maybe a 15 or straight 17 though.

We're using a 17/22 from IDparts for a mk4 ALH. The OEM mk4 oil return line also works perfectly. Just make sure to order the fitting that screws in the block also. The oil feed will have to be custom SS braided hose though.

As for a dp, it's going to be custom SS since this car already had a custom full SS setup I did a while back. I don't have a OE mk4 dp laying around to test fit. I had 5 or 6 last week but I just took a load to the scrap yard haha.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:41   #7
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Nice project! I'm looking forward to reading details on how to switch from pressure-activated N75 to vacuum; plus other wiring updates. The availability of the modified engine mount makes this swap a tad more attractive. Will you be switching to a European ECU? Or can you make this work with the stock ECU and remap?
Stealth TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:43   #8
r90sKirk
Veteran Member

I'm looking forward to reading details on how to switch from pressure-activated N75 to vacuum

Me too, Matt.Kirk
Old June 23rd, 2010, 14:29   #9
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Subscribed! Sure is looking good so far
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:14   #10
G60ING
Veteran Member

the aba mount is the same at the tdi's bracket
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 20:01   #12
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Is that yours Jason?
Yes, it is buddy BTW, I was very sad to read about your turbo issue. I hope it gets resolved quickly & hopefully it's just isolated to the turbo

Stealth, it will still be the GQ ECU just flashed to the European AFN software for VNT. I'm still unsure at this point what stage of RC I'm getting from Jeff. I'm letting him decide what is best to go along with all of the other supporting hardware changes (PP520's, FMIC, 2.5" SS Turbo back exhaust)

Matt your doing a great job!!! I think I'll wait on the Colt Cam until I'm due for the next timing belt change.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 21:44   #13
dieseleux
Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor

TDI(s): Jetta TDI 02
Fuel Economy: 4.2L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by r90sKirk View Post
I'm looking forward to reading details on how to switch from pressure-activated N75 to vacuum

Me too, Matt.Kirk

Easy... use N75 of MK4 ALH and same hose rooting of MK4, after, put AFN ECU chip. (for same connector, use N75 of 1999.5, more expensive than 2000-2003 N75!)
GTB2056VL work great on my 028906021JB ECU. (Jetta 98 AHU)

Dieseleux

Last edited by dieseleux; June 24th, 2010 at 21:50.
dieseleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 23:00   #14
Whitbread

Some new pics and a little bit of tech info updated .

Just have a build a dp tomorrow morning and it's test drive time!
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:34   #15
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Yeah we'll see Jason, even if it's just the turbo, it still means I may need to change over to a different vnt 20. You've got my fabricator in person, so you'll have better luck than I ever will. Glad to see you got an fmic too.

More fuel Jason, more fuel. Do it before you get retuned! That thing can take 764's for sure.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote