www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 14th, 2010, 15:19   #1
Jack_Berry
Veteran Member

Default ecomodder

discovered this site today. there is a fella with a 92 civic who now gets 90mpg from his car. another guy wants to kammback his 2000 jetta. must be someone here who might emulate these guys for better tdi economy.

http://ecomodder.com/

02 galactic blue jetta, auto4spd, monsoon, heated seats , monster mats, tdiheater , evolution plate , dieselgeek oil bypass, pp520's
posting in central time, two hrs later, than the time on the post.

Jack_Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 20:16   #2
shizzler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Solid 50, daily life.

I emulate their methods, but not nearly to that extent. I improved my highway mileage by close to 20% from aeromodding.

I wish someone would make a full kammback for their golf or jetta TDI though, it could easily hit 90 mpg...

Ecomodder is a great site for aerodynamic and efficiency modding, though it moves kind of slow sometimes.
'03 ALH Jetta: PP520s, Q-loader, Whitbread 2.5" DP, Mufflerectomy, PD150 t.i.p. + 3" intake, IDparts upper IC pipe, PD lift pump, Sachs VR6/G60, 0.658 5th Gear, Zerostart, Panzer Skidplate, Dieselgeek short shifter, Custom 1.3" lift kit, Aero-mods.
Burning as much BioDiesel as I can.
shizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:00   #3
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

I occasionally read up on contributor's posts there, usually with a smile.
My opinion: not enough "eco", too much "mod".
Similar results are achieved without resorting to the degree of personalization many do. I won't call the changes "improvements" because they are not an improvement.
What's the EPA highway rating for a '92 Civic?(49) What percentage improvement is an aeromodded 90 mpg?(+85%)
Now, what's the EPA rating of an '05 Passat?(34) What percentage improvement is a bone stock 68 mpg?(+100%)
Or a '96 Passat?(41) compared to 82 in my sedan?(+100%), or 78 in my wagon?(+78%).

Tinted windshield banners, Altezza taillamps, fuzzy dice have about as much effect on fuel economy as some of the changes these guys do.
Strictly a personalization.

<edit> b.t.w.: 90 mpg on gasoline contributes as much fossil CO2 greenhouse gas per mile as 23 mpg on B100 biodiesel. 80 mpg on B100 is equivalent in CO2 GHG contributions to 300+ mpg with gasoline power.<end>

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; June 15th, 2010 at 05:06.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 16:54   #4
smck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: upper 60's

I have a hotrod buddy at work who will be making my fender skirts and kammback when he gets some time and materials. I'm picking up some coroplast tomorrow for my underbody.
smck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 19:46   #5
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Check out Smyth Performance for one of the ultimate aeromods you can do to a MKIV. =)
For good pictures and current progress, check the Facebook page!
After I'm done building my Smyth car, I plan on building an ultra-light trailer capable of holding 200-300 pounds while providing an aircraft-like taper that I expect will improve fuel economy in most conditions.

I believe there is NO reason to start a big project like re-shaping a vehicle unless you can make it somewhat utilitarian. If you add a big cone to the back of your Golf/Jetta, it should at least hold a little extra luggage or allow longer pieces of lumber to squeeze in. When I finally go to the trouble of a serious aero-mod, I'm going to make it something other people are going to want to buy from me because it is good for all sorts of things. I'd like to see a hatchback modified to carry extra luggage AND provide better mileage AND it should be made of an old door so it fits right up. It needs to be slightly attractive, (not made of paper) and you should be able to see out of it well. Otherwise, the most serious aeromods are not as much an improvement as a compromise.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote