www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 8th, 2010, 19:36   #1
roadrunner1659

TDI(s): None
Default Manual vs. Auto

Good Evening,

I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Jetta TDI. Personally, I like the Crystal White with all black interior. This option can only be found in my area in a stick. I test drove an auto, so obviously I will have to test drive that. But, I was wondering what some of the more experienced TDI drivers experiences are with a manual transmission vs. an automatic transmission.

Thanks
roadrunner1659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 19:38   #2
brons2
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

The "auto" on the car you drove is not a conventional auto aka "slushbox" it is a DSG. It's more like an automated manual gearbox. It does not have a torque converter.
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 19:46   #3
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

A DSG requires expensive service each 40,000 miles. Get the manual, they are easy and fun to drive. (I have both types in a pair of 2006 Jettas.)

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 20:09   #4
roy1
Veteran Member

Test drive both and make a decision.
roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 00:26   #5
flatlanded
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 55ish US MPG

Pros of DSG:
- Anyone can drive
- Almost identical MPGs to the 6sp

Cons:
- More expensive maintainence
- May not last as long as a 6sp

In the end the choice is yours but do be prepared to spend the extra $$$ with the DSG.
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:27   #6
BeetleGo
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Get the stick. It's an anti-theft device. Who wants (or can even drive) a stick anymore~!!

My $.02
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:52   #7
procupine14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo
Get the stick. It's an anti-theft device. Who wants (or can even drive) a stick anymore~!!

My $.02
That's actually a really good point along with the simple fact that it's also a really good way to keep people from borrowing your car
procupine14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:34   #8
diesel4ever
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.2/4.8/5.5

As long as I press the clutch pedal, it's a stick for me. I have two kids (boy and girl) four nieces and they all drive stick and are so proud of it. Why everything we do has to be done 'easy' (lazy) way. It's a progress and and the same time 'dumbing down' of the masses.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:43   #9
sjjaskow
Veteran Member

I had this dilemma too, my only previous manual experience was in an early '90s F150 lariat with an extremely used 2nd gear, and some time driving large International grain trucks; I hadn't driven any for four years when I got my 6M Golf. Other than the above comments, manuals are more work-especially in traffic situations, and I love that none of my friends can borrow my car except the really dangerous ones who are all tech geeks...anyways. My decision rested on the two facts that I wanted a more interactive driving experience, and a cheaper final sticker price. DSG comes at $1000 bucks, thats pretty steep for the convenience + those 40k service fees.
Mine since 5 June 2010
sjjaskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:29   #10
DJB

Go with the stick. VW doesn't have a good reputation for their automatics, and while the DSG isn't a true auto it's still expensive to service.
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:50   #11
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1659
Good Evening,

I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Jetta TDI. Personally, I like the Crystal White with all black interior. This option can only be found in my area in a stick. I test drove an auto, so obviously I will have to test drive that. But, I was wondering what some of the more experienced TDI drivers experiences are with a manual transmission vs. an automatic transmission.

Thanks
I have a 5 speed manual (03) and a DSG (09). So I would recommend the 6 speed manual.We got the DSG because the overwhelming percentage of mileage is in a rolling parking lot daily commute and the 2 commuters that use the car one no longer wanted to shift and the other never wanted to learn stick. VW has NEVER mated a stout manual to their Jetta's, even less so with their automatics. If their automatics were any good, let alone just plain good, they would have never have considered the DSG. The DSG is really just an computer shifted (aka "automatic") 6 speed manual.

Not only is there an app 1,000 premium for the DSG, and 40k interval (expensive) DSG maintenance, but the cost of eventual repairs (if you want to keep it past a couple of hundred thousand miles is as a min 4 x's greater. In addition, the POTENTIAL for needing repairs SOONER is greater for the DSG (greater complexity) than for WELL cared for and driven 6 speed manual.

Last edited by ruking; June 9th, 2010 at 07:57.
ruking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:06   #12
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo
I luv it

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:40   #13
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

The funny thing is there are a host of folks who get the DSG because they dont want to shift and almost all those people want to play hyperactive ("video games???") shifting with DSG's tiptronic !!????

It would seem to me that because of the DSG's complexities, that one would necessarily want to be MORE gentle with it !!!!?????

Last edited by ruking; June 9th, 2010 at 09:24.
ruking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:03   #14
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

As an owner of manual transmission vehicles only, I must point out that there are lots of situations that are inconvenient because many of my friends can't drive stick:

1. Needing a ride to the hospital
2. Needing a ride back from the bar
3. Needing a nap on a long road trip

Still, I resist owning an automatic-transmission anything.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 14:41   #15
roadrunner1659

TDI(s): None

i plan on test driving the 6spd manual...

Is it a heavy clutch pedal or soft? How is the gearbox, smooth or notchy?
roadrunner1659 is offline   Reply With Quote