www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:54   #1
TmpaFL2000Dsl
Veteran Member

Default A/C Fix You May NOt Need A New Compressor

Ive come across this scenario more than once now. I have a 2000 Jetta. I live in FL so A/c is important most of the time. I dont know if anyone else has posted this info, but here is what i experienced i hope it helps someone.

Here's the details:
-warm air from vents during the day & semi-cool at night
-Compressor engages fine
-high and low side pressures almost equal
-no leaks system has full charge

I came across an article a year ago(dont remember who wrote it, if i find it i will post it) that talked about the sanden sd7v16 compressor. It is a variable displacement pump. There is a control valve in to back of the pump that controls the displacement of the pump. My pump was pumping but just not enough. So i ordered a new control valve and some gaskets and a receiver/dryer(always recommended), and some r134a and oil.

After discharging the system, remove the back of the pump with the 7 or so bolts at the back of it. The reed valve plate will then come out and the control valve is bolted thru it with a nut to hold it. Replace the valve and reassemble with new gaskets. Then recharge system and BAM I have cold A/c again.

I ordered parts from Polar Bear Inc in ft lauderdale (helpful people there)
control valve PN# EX 10067
gasket set PN# GA 4567KP
PAG46 oil
Dryer PN# 10018

Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
TmpaFL2000Dsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:42   #2
Dave_D
Veteran Member

Mine went a few years ago and I wasn't as lucky as you were. The shop told me that the compressor had disintegrated internally scattering metal throughout the A/C system. Needless to say the compressor needed to be replaced. Symptoms were similar to yours, but of course pressures were equal.

Dave
Old June 2nd, 2010, 14:27   #3
clintontull

TDI(s): NONE

i have an 03 beetle my issue is.

fuses were check in cabin and on the battery all are good.
light on ac switch turns on.
compressor does not engague.
fans do not turn on
attached r134a to low side. (passenger side of car near headlamp) pressure read more than guage listed.

Any ideas?

clintontull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 14:43   #4
brons2
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmpaFL2000Dsl
Ive come across this scenario more than once now. I have a 2000 Jetta. I live in FL so A/c is important most of the time. I dont know if anyone else has posted this info, but here is what i experienced i hope it helps someone.

Here's the details:
-warm air from vents during the day & semi-cool at night
-Compressor engages fine
-high and low side pressures almost equal
-no leaks system has full charge

I came across an article a year ago(dont remember who wrote it, if i find it i will post it) that talked about the sanden sd7v16 compressor. It is a variable displacement pump. There is a control valve in to back of the pump that controls the displacement of the pump. My pump was pumping but just not enough. So i ordered a new control valve and some gaskets and a receiver/dryer(always recommended), and some r134a and oil.

After discharging the system, remove the back of the pump with the 7 or so bolts at the back of it. The reed valve plate will then come out and the control valve is bolted thru it with a nut to hold it. Replace the valve and reassemble with new gaskets. Then recharge system and BAM I have cold A/c again.

I ordered parts from Polar Bear Inc in ft lauderdale (helpful people there)
control valve PN# EX 10067
gasket set PN# GA 4567KP
PAG46 oil
Dryer PN# 10018
Awesome fix man! Great stuff!
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 15:43   #5
DanG144
Veteran Member

I was hoping to do the same last year, but the compressor was trash.

Look at post #77 here.

I still have the new control valve, if anyone needs it.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 18:35   #6
clintontull

TDI(s): NONE

I have fixed my ac.
I put a jumper power source on the compressor see if it would turn on! Bing it did!. Then i plug it in and it fail. Did this about three times just to see if it would automagically work. Well in the process of doing so i saw that the wire rubbed enough on the compressor from vibration it wore through both wires and corroded them. Spliced on two new wire and Im in business!!!

It was just on the inlet side of the compressor where the wires were rubbing against the housing. Almost missed it..

clintontull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 19:15   #7
Bayshore-TDI

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default TmpaFL2000Dsl Excellent Jetta Mechanic

TmpaFL2000Dsl diagnosed and fixed this AC issue with my vehicle, when two other mechanics had advised me to get a new compressor. He was dead on and saved me hundreds of dollars on this repair. We opened the compressor and the oil, gaskets, o-rings were in pristine condition.

He took the time to show me how the compressor function internally and we were able to physically tell the "spring" pressure difference between the old adjustable valve and the new one. The new one had significantly more resistance, while the orginal spring was like a bad shock absorber.

Since replacement, I'm blowing 40F around town and 38F on the hwy, frigg'n beautiful! He called it and didn't gouge me on labor hours or over priced parts. Between refrigerant, oil and parts (valve, gaskets, orings, accumulator) spent $110 and labor was very fair. He's straight to the point and logically minded, no wishy washy crap.

I also had him adjust my fuel injection pump which he came out early on a Sunday morning and had my vehicle tuned perfectly.

Don't think I'm a slouch with the wrench either, before calling him I'd replaced my starter!
Bayshore-TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 13:56   #8
WolfTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf
Fuel Economy: Yes

Thank you TmpaFL2000Dsl!!!! I was having an intermittent loss of air conditioning for quite some time now. I put off the repairs as my commute is pretty short now. I bought a set of gauges and saw good pressures initially, but within a minute or two the low side would start to rise and the high side would start to drop. I was told I needed a new compressor. I just could not rationalize how the initial pressures could be good if the compressor was shot. I came across your thread and it all started to make sense. I ordered the parts from Polar Bear per your suggestions and got the system evacuated and charged. I have my ice cold air back!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience here.
Old July 12th, 2010, 17:54   #9
SheeB
Veteran Member

Whenever a system is evacuated, is it necessary to add the pag oil when recharging?
Old July 13th, 2010, 17:39   #10
PolitesTDi

I've been told I need a new A/C clutch (there is a jingling in my A/C) to get it pumpin' again. Will this fix work for me? My folks live in Tampa. It's where I bought the TDI. Wish I would have had you look at it while I was there!
PolitesTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:38   #11
TmpaFL2000Dsl
Veteran Member

WolfTDI great to hear your a/c is working. Its nice to have helped someone out.
TranscenDieselIst your clutch may be bad or it may just be loose. But either way the clutch is likely a problem.

As to weather or not to add oil to a system, that depends on how much was lost when evacuating it. If lines were taken loose or the compressor was taken out, then some needs to be added but the amount once again depends on how much was lost. If in doubt flush the system out and start fresh that way you know how much is in there.
MVAC EPA Section 609 Certified
A/C repair
Old July 14th, 2010, 18:09   #12
PolitesTDi

Tmpa do you know where to find a clutch? Do I have to buy the entire compressor? I just saved a butt load on fixing a faulty vacuum seal that I thought was something more major (brakes) so, I'm willing to pay the $$ for the compressor, I just need to know what to buy. Thanks so much!
PolitesTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:24   #13
TmpaFL2000Dsl
Veteran Member

Try Polar Bear Inc in ft lauderdale, FL. I dont know if they will have it but i tried all of my other sources and haven't come up with one. I have replaced a couple compressor clutches before but not on this particular pump, so maybe t is not available. The people at Polar Bear should be able to tell you if its available.

On a side not how much space is between the clutch plates on the pump, and is it loose at all?
A/C repair
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:16   #14
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

I'll try this fix in my car,, do you guys know around how much is to buy all these parts from polar Bear?
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:47   #15
TmpaFL2000Dsl
Veteran Member

For valve, dryer, and gaskets its around $70 I believe; less than $100 for sure. Of course you will need refrigerant and oil also.
A/C repair