www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 1st, 2010, 08:37   #1
harleymhs

Default Low Tire Light ON.. All tires OK !!!

I have a 2010 Golf TDI.. I noticed yesterday AM that the Low Tire light is on, I checked pressue in all tires and the spare allis OK.. Light flashes when I turn the car on then goes solid after a few minutes. Anyone else have this issue? I guess back to VW WED to check the sensors in wheels or reset the computer..
harleymhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:22   #2
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Others can confirm, but if you bring it back to the dealer for this issue they will reprogram the TPMS system to correct this issue.

This thread is going sticky. Others have reported this issue and the above correction made by the dealer. If you have had the dealer fix your TPMS system, please check in here and let us know what was done and if it resolved your issue.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:53   #3
harleymhs

The car is going to the dealer Wed at 3:30, I will post the out come Wed evening..
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:28   #4
jnecr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40ish?

When I went in for my 10,000 mile maintenance I told them about the light and told the nice lady that I read on the internet (here) that the module needed re-calibration or something along those lines. She said "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" and promptly rolled her eyes. I politely agreed to the internet comment and sat down to do some work for a bit. 45 minutes later they had my oil changed, tires rotated and they had re-calibrated the TPMS system. She even told me that I was right, all the tires were perfect PSI and they did some Vag-Com magic to the system. It was quite nice of her to admit that what I read on the internet was, in fact, correct.

I suspect that my Golf was the first new 2010 Golf TDI they had come across for the 10k maintenance...

jnecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 17:18   #5
harleymhs

Well, Went to the dealer today.. As everyone said, they had to re calibrate the TPMS.. The light is off and we are good to go.. Thanks for your replies to my tread! This forum is GREAT! Like my TDI!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 18:18   #6
sportriderseattle
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-49 mpg averaged per tank

I had mine done on Tuesday. If it comes on again, with no apparent loss of air in the tires, I will have the dealer remove those stupid sensors in the tires and disable the dash light by VagCom...just like my DRL.
Old June 5th, 2010, 16:28   #7
hotpocketdeath
Veteran Member

I just had mine serviced for this exact issue. I was there for about an hour getting it serviced.

Here's a thread that explains what is happening.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=55172

Quote:
tpms light coming on is due to the electronics control module that has been integrated with the comfort cm is losing the basic settings for the tpms. its supposed to be set at 2.3 bar but defaults to 5.5 bar. theres a tech bulletin out for updated coding in hopes it solves this problem
So pretty much, you need to take it in for the updated coding to fix the problem.
hotpocketdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:42   #8
nhdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportriderseattle
I had mine done on Tuesday. If it comes on again, with no apparent loss of air in the tires, I will have the dealer remove those stupid sensors in the tires and disable the dash light by VagCom...just like my DRL.
I used to think the TPMS was more trouble that it was worth too but on our '08 Mercedes it has successfully detected very minor leaks before they became problematic on two occasions. I have more important things to do than check my tire pressures weekly.

I remember the first time it said "correct tire pressure" I thought to myself "are they using 'correct' as a noun or adjective"? They surely could have worded that better!

Turns out it was a noun and one of my tires was 3 PSI low and had a nail in it. Ours has two stages - the white "correct tire pressure" warning is for small variations and the red "CHECK TIRE IMMEDIATELY" is for severe leaks. I have never seen the red warning, fortunately.
nhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 19:54   #9
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

The TPMS system is smart. And it can save you a lot of money and time for what it does.

The update is updating the TPMS system from 260 to 240 KPA (240 i think is on the sticker in the drivers door). The system thinks it has the wrong pressures so it turns the light on. Updating the system or changing the values of the TPMS system to the sticker tells the system everything is ok and the light should be off.
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:32   #10
hotpocketdeath
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftwerkB6
The update is updating the TPMS system from 260 to 240 KPA (240 i think is on the sticker in the drivers door). The system thinks it has the wrong pressures so it turns the light on. Updating the system or changing the values of the TPMS system to the sticker tells the system everything is ok and the light should be off.
That isn't the problem. Although the fix is the same.

As I described in my first post, the problem is the computer is being reset to default of 5.5bar (80PSI). It has to be reset to ~2.3-2.5bar. This number is not set to what the recommended tire pressure should be, but to a number that would be considered "low" which may be a few psi below recommended.

I posted a link to a forum that describes the problem, and it is also what is documented on my service ticket as what they did to fix my car.

Here's a link to fix it yourself with a vag-com. It appears to affect more then just the 2010 TDI's.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-with-vag-com
But from what I understand, this is only a temporary fix. For a more permanent fix, the software needs to be updated at the dealership.

Last edited by hotpocketdeath; June 9th, 2010 at 09:36.
hotpocketdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:15   #11
UGM10Golf

Mine just came on at the 1800 mile marker. Do you think it the spare that is causing it to go off? Thats what happened in my 08 Highlander.
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:53   #12
mntdidrvr

TPMS light came on at 500 miles. I initially thought it was the spare (like my 05 Toyota). Instead, I found a bent 2" nail embedded in the inner sidewall of rear drivers side tire. Needed a new tire but better than a blowout on the freeway commute.
mntdidrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 16:02   #13
jnecr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40ish?

Just looked at my service report from my 10,000 mile checkup. Here's what it says:
Quote:
B Customer states tire pressure light is on
Cause: per techline VTA JH-458182 update programming

10458 confirmed light on and flashing. checked all 4 sensors with handheld checker. Found all batteries OK. Then found fault for incorrect basic settings. I called Tech Line. Assistant told me to change the last 2 bits of coding from 05 to 04 and reset adaption channels to 23. All this done user VSS and not under GFF due to adaption not allowed in GFF Road tested after repairs. Closed VTA.
jnecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 15:23   #14
securityguy
Veteran Member

UGM, I do not believe our spare tires have a TPM installed.
Old July 4th, 2010, 22:42   #15
UGM10Golf

I've waited long enough.. going to head up to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at the warning light. I'll ask them about the TPMS in the spare.