Banks Exhaust

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I just got off the phone with Banks. I've got thier Monster Exhaust on the way for my car. It should show up next week and I'll probably be bolting it on that Friday evening after work. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

If anyone else wants one, let them know that AutoAnything lists it for $349 and they'll match it. The part number for the 09-10 Jetta is 46180.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Eh, you ordered it for the 09-10 Jetta? I hope you made sure it'd fit your '10 Wagen. The 09/10 sedan & 09 wagen =/= 10 wagen.....

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
That is a huge outlet pipe! Unless the power increase is commensurate... it's ricey nicey.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
ToeBall said:
If anyone else wants one, let them know that AutoAnything lists it for $349 and they'll match it. The part number for the 09-10 Jetta is 46180.
I had no idea that Banks had anything out for the '09-'10 TDI yet! They are still rumored to be working on a full tuning system for the new TDIs, which peaks my interest, indeed.

Since AutoAnything has free shipping, what's the advantage of ordering directly from Banks?

EDIT: Just got off the phone. The advantage of going directly to Banks are: 1) you get to talk to someone who knows something about this specific product; 2) a place that has the exhaust actually in-stock; 3) info that they will indeed have a full line of tuning equipment for the new TDIs in the not-too-distant future. They weren't able to quite match the AutoAnything deal ($349.95 + free shipping), but they made it worth it nonetheless.

Last edited:

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
There are also warranty implications to buying from other than Banks as well. As I said elsewhere on the forum, I've been running a Banks on my 6BTA powered Ram since late 98 and still nothing to complain about after almost 400k miles to date.

mug23

TDI
2010 JSW Salsa Red
Borla also make a similar system for the 2010 TDi's. I'm not sure what's the difference between Banks and Borla or any advantages and dis-advantages between the two.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
If it shows anything on the dyno I will be truly shocked. As for SPL, I'll take before and after measurements. Thanks for mentioning that, I wouldn't have thought of it. I'll have to hunt down the SPL meter, haven't done car stereo competitions in a very long time.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Hey Toe, if you are able to grab a meter, take some inside measurements, too, maybe at 2000rpm?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
If it's anything like the TDI Cup cars (and they basically have the same type of setup; i.e., emissions equipment followed by straight pipe), then the increase in decibels will be minimal.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Ok, so I was told that the exhaust would ship out last Friday or this Monday at the latest. I have yet to receive a tracking number so I gave Banks a call. Just got off the phone with their customer service and they tell me that the exhaust hasn't shipped yet because they are waiting on the "intermediate pipe" to be made, which is scheduled to be made today and the exhaust should ship out tomorrow at the latest.

Hmm, starting to sound an awful lot like the Borla situation!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
hopefully its not like with borla. at least they told you that the mid pipe is being made today and not something like we don't have it in stock yet

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
dpg said:
hopefully its not like with borla. at least they told you that the mid pipe is being made today and not something like we don't have it in stock yet
Indeed. The gentleman that I spoke with was highly apologetic and said that all of their exhausts are made in-house and once their pipes are bent, they literally travel up the street to be matched with the rest of the kit and then it will ship. My fingers are crossed.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Well, the Banks exhaust didn't ship last week and I never got a call from them either. I did just receive an email with a UPS tracking # and a ship weight of 88 lbs., so I assume this is for the exhaust. Estimated delivery is June 7, a full two weeks after I was originally told I would receive it :rolleyes: However, this is still MUCH better than the Borla situation!

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I just got my tracking number email as well. Also 88 lbs according to UPS. I remember Banks being more responsive, but at this point, I don't care, as long as I get it in time for install this weekend.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Installed! Lots of photos...

Ok exhaust is in. Whole process took two people about an hour and it went pretty smoothly. I did cut my hand up on the heat shield because I took my gloves off to take some photos and didn't put them back on while wiggling the new exhaust into place. The photos kinda suck because I didn't want to lug my SLR out for this so I took them with my iPhone.

One nice thing about a station wagon is that the exhaust actually fits inside so I could get to my buddy's garage to do the work.

The secret to the install going so easy are these custom fabricated ramps to allow easy access to the bottom of the car.

Getting the car on the ramps made the entire garage smell like clutch, so we left the door cracked and went to lunch.

The underside of the car shows the stock exhaust routing around the gas tanks and through the rear suspension crossmember.

The first step to removing the stock exhaust is to cut it in the middle of the rear suspension bracketry. The rear muffler pretty much just falls out once that's done.

This is the stock muffler position inside the rear bumper.

Like I said, the muffler pretty much fell out after the pipe was cut with the sawsall.

The new pipe next to the old one.

The first pipe is in.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI

After wrestling the rear pipe into place, and hammering out a small ding on the rear flange, the rear muffler clamp is slipper into the hanger and loosely bolted.

Finally the rear hanger is attached and rebolted to the car.

I don't like the positioning of the tip in the rear bumper. A little modification to the rear hanger later will bring it in tighter to the bumper.

I'll wind up shortening the pipe a little to pull the tip in a litter further into the bumper as well.

Now sound wise, unloaded, the car sounds about the same. With a load on the engine, there's a quiet deep rumble, but it never gets particularly load. Cruising on the freeway you can hear the exhaust a little, but the tires are actually louder.

Last edited:

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
Cool. I'll be interested to see if you notice any performance/efficiency gains over the long run.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Thanks for the install pics. That tip looks much larger than the Banks pics make it seem. I'm thinking I might get rid of the decidedly truck-looking tip and replace it with something more car-like. I'll have to wait and see what it looks like on my sedan...hopefully next weekend.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
The tip is huge and decidedly rice looking, but once it's tucked in closer to the bumper and tucked under more it should look a lot better, I hope.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
$349 for a 'tone'.

NO mileage improvement, NO HP or TQ improvements.

This fits my own definition of RICE. Of course, it IS your car and your money, so have fun! :)

Bill

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I agree, it will probably look a lot better once it's sitting up close to the bumper like you might expect it to. Right now it kind of reminds me of a Honda Civic with a generic aftermarket muffler on it; i.e., watermelon shooter. Good to know this in advance so that I can do something about it before getting the car off the lift.