www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 10th, 2010, 18:06   #1
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Default My 1Z TDI Rabbit Truck Conversion

I thought i would start my build thread for my TDI Mk-1 Pickup..I got a complete 97 passat donor car.I am gonna do the full swap, I want the cluster so i am putting in the corrado dash and i also put the corrado steering column in also., I am currently working on the engine bay with some sheet metal work, i put the heater box from the passat in to free up my rain tray to put my resivor tank for the air to water intercooler i am putting in,getting the heater box to work was a challenge but it fits also i put the cabriolet core support in for the round headlight conversion, here is a few pics of the engine bay , more will follow as i get the engine bay ready to prime and paint

Last edited by vw_nut; November 2nd, 2011 at 20:17.
vw_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 18:01   #2
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Default welding all done

Well last night we finished the welding on the bay, today i worked on grinding on the welds cleaning things up, i test fitted the heater box after the welding and it fits nicely, i worked on cleaning the engine up today and i need to take the transmission off and paint it so thats next, i plan on having the engine bay primed and painted this next week, i have a little more gringing to do and i won't know till i get the engine in to see if my cuttaway for the compressor but it should be fine

Old May 22nd, 2010, 18:41   #3
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Default Bay got Primed

Its been going slow, i know, but work has me just slammed lately but i got the bay primmed today

Old June 1st, 2010, 18:41   #4
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Default Bay Painted

Well finially i got a day where we could get the Bay painted....I painted it a gray hammertone... Im now ready to put it all back together...ill have to put the engine in and intercooler piping in before i finish doing the wiring so i know just where its all gonna fit im trying to streamline it but its gonna be busy in there

Old June 2nd, 2010, 21:31   #5
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Looks good. Should be a fun project. Are you keeping the engine mostly stock? Would probably be plenty for the Rabbit Truck.
Jon
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:28   #6
G60ING
Veteran Member

Nice swap.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 14:52   #7
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Thanks Frank and Jon I will hopefully get the new tierods on and put the rack in and drop the motor in.....I plan on Leaving it stock till I get it on the road but it wont stay stock for long
Old June 3rd, 2010, 15:38   #8
G60ING
Veteran Member

How are you installing the motor? Without the a/c compressor and then install it after its in?

I like how the crossmember looks with the a/c clearancing.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 16:19   #9
vw_nut
Veteran Member

I will install it after the motor is in so I wont mess the paint up and if i remember right i have to to get it in and the long bolts are a pain getting back in

Last edited by vw_nut; June 3rd, 2010 at 18:45.
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:22   #10
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Today i worked on the steering rack, got the new bushings in the a-arms, put the brake booster on, i got the timing belt on, intake cleaned and put back on, the motor is ready to go in, i will have to drill a hole in the frame for the bolt for the air conditioner compressor, i will do that when the motor is in, work is busy so in these times i have to take it when it comes, i hope to have it in tomorrow night
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:29   #11
therabbittree
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B4 passat

Nice!.. kep up the pictures.. I will be doing my '84 jetta coupe same swap .. I to want to add a/c to a non ac car ..i will be watching yours closely.
thanks
Deo
Old June 7th, 2010, 18:02   #12
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Well today i put the motor in, started working on the intercooler piping, i have to get some reducers for connecting the intercooler to the piping, i think its gonna fit well, the A/C Compressor fits well as you can see in the pics, have to trim up the heat shield on the firewall but it will work nice, I have a few holes to drill for the headlight wiring and the P.S resivor, gonna look online for some A/C fittings, anyone have a clue as to where i can find them?

Old June 19th, 2010, 20:12   #13
vw_nut
Veteran Member

Well today i got the PS Resivour and line put in today and connected, i got all the front end parts , the new wheel bearings pressed in, new ball joints, a-arms, tie-rods and got them in, the intercooler radiator and A/C condensor put in, i had to angle the A/C condensor a little and i decided to put the intercooler radiator in front of the A/C condensor it puts a little angle on the radiator but it looks like it will all work fine

Old June 19th, 2010, 20:28   #14
rackaracka
Veteran Member

Looking great!
rackaracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 15:05   #15
xseadogx

TDI(s): not yet
Default Awesome work

Really, Nice work, I have wanted to do the TDI swap to a rabbit truck for some time now. It is actually why I joined this forum. Keep up the great work and info Thanks
xseadogx is offline   Reply With Quote