mid engine corrado longitudinal

13mmwrench

TDI
tdi corrado and vrt corrado and 2000 golf tdi
so by request i am going to work on a build thread and posting up a bunch of pictures of my project. i'm never very good at keeping up on these things so be patient. engine is a 2002 alh running on a mk3 ecu that has afn tuning for the vnt and rc3 anything else you want to know just ask me its still getting worked on almost daily working the bugs out and finishing things off but i am daily driving it and have almost 300 miles on it in the last few weeks.

the beginning cut all the rear suspension out and there was no going back...

longitudinal trans out of a 99 passat mounted up to an ahu before i found my current alh in a local junkyard (major score)

sub-frame (halfway mounted into the car)

still have the ahu but getting closer at this point and cage is nearly complete

firewall beginnings

13mmwrench

TDI

shifter works better than expected but still needs some fine tuning to get perfect

16 gallon fuel cell, air to water radiator on drivers side engine radiator on passenger side only one gauge so far egt/boost have monitored everything on vag-com many times

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Coolest thing EVAR :D Wish that could be done and made street legal here...

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
That is unreal. Nice job. What is the reasoning behind the mid-engine configuration? What sort of weight bias did you end up with? How does it drive? Are you intending to drive on a track? What are your power goals?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Crazy concept

13mmwrench

TDI
i have not had a chance to check the weight bias but do need to get to the scales and see what sort of weight i ended up with. handling wise it feels really good except the rear springs are still a bit soft i have a new set of springs on their way hopefully have them in by next Friday then i just need a heavier rear sway bar. to help with the extra weight out back. compared to my vr6t corrado it does not handle nearly as well but it has the potential to stick well around corners once i get the suspension tuned in a little better.. and as for power goals if the summer goes well i will hopefully be doing some major upgrading over the winter around 200whp will make it a rocket since its already quick at 18psi

13mmwrench

TDI
G60ING said:
Crazy concept
thanks for your support i know you have been after me to get a build thread started for awhile i will try to add some more in the next week or so

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
yes please add more its one of the crazier things I've seen in a corrado. :)

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
That is really neat! Nice work from what you have posted so far!

13mmwrench

TDI
i installed some new rear springs tonight it made a huge difference in handling i put in some 600lb spring rate springs from eibach they seemed like they might be a bit too much when i first pulled them out of the package but they are almost perfect now i just need a good thick rear sway bar....

bcbsox

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Corrado SLC ;)
Very cool. What are you doing for the upper firewall? I'm going to be starting this very conversion myself with the 1Z that's under the hood right now, when I get home from Iraq.

Last edited:

13mmwrench

TDI
bcbsox said:
Very cool. What are you doing for the upper firewall? I'm going to be starting this very conversion myself with the 1Z that's under the hood right now, when I get home from Iraq.
the firewall is all aluminum sheet held on with quarter turn fasteners so its easy to remove to work on the motor

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you get to drive it around with the Mk3 motor? I'd love to know what your thoughts were between the two run on the same turbo, and electronics.

Any CELs with the setup?

13mmwrench

TDI
G60ING said:
Did you get to drive it around with the Mk3 motor? I'd love to know what your thoughts were between the two run on the same turbo, and electronics.

Any CELs with the setup?
i didnt get to drive it with the mk3 motor i only have a check engine light for no clutch switch, no egr solenoid, no brake switch nothing that slows me down any.

13mmwrench

TDI
i have been a little busy the last little bit but i will be back on top of things hopefully next week going to be doing some more suspension\chassis work

TDIsyncro said:
look forward to seeing a few more pics 13mm..and those corner weights..
and yes i am at 2800 rpm at 65 stupid 1.8t gearing.......