www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 27th, 2010, 19:13   #1
golstho

TDI(s): 06 jetta
Default 01 jetta won't start

01 jetta tdi will not start if the car is parked for more than about two days. it will just turn over and over. noticed that the clear line on top of the fuel filter is not filled with fuel but instead air. so i guess this is the problem but how would the fuel system be getting air in and loosing prime. i can start the car with starting fluid and it will eventually start and then run fine, but if you don't crank it like every day it won't start. please help!
golstho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 20:46   #2
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

You need to check all the connections around the fuel filter. The plastic thermo 'T' can crack and let air in. Also, the 2 o-rings on the insert into the filter can leak. There's also the connections of the fuel line to the injection pump, and the fuel return tubing. All this stuff can leak air into the system, so it does not appear to be problematic because fuel is not leaking out.

There is also supposed to be a check valve in the fuel sending unit inside your tank that prevents leakback into the tank from that fuel line. If the line becomes filled with air instead of fuel, you'll experience the problems you are having. It is not a quick easy task you have to chase down the leak, but it is basically the only way to find and fix your problem.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 21:54   #3
steelmb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golstho
01 jetta tdi will not start if the car is parked for more than about two days. it will just turn over and over. noticed that the clear line on top of the fuel filter is not filled with fuel but instead air. so i guess this is the problem but how would the fuel system be getting air in and loosing prime. i can start the car with starting fluid and it will eventually start and then run fine, but if you don't crank it like every day it won't start. please help!
Very bad. Do a search.
steelmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 14:07   #4
golstho

thanks power hound! still have not fixed or found the problem yet.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 17:30   #5
golstho

i replaced the two o rings on the thermo t. checked all the hoses aroung the filter they are old and showing signs of surface cracking but i dont think they are the problem. filled the filter up with fuel the car primed cranked and ran fine......let it sit over night and it wont start....while trying to start the car the clear part of the fuel line begins to fill with fuel but when you quit turning the engine over the fuel leaks back out of the line to the filter....any suggestions????? could this have anything to do with the in tank pump???
Old May 3rd, 2010, 17:47   #6
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

No pump in the tank.

Look for fuel puddles/wetness under/on/around the injection pump.

Replace the "tee" on the filter for good measure (part # 1J0127247A )

go to harbor freight and get a "mity-vac" to prime the pump.

cranking on a dry pump is no bueno.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:23   #7
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
i replaced the two o rings on the thermo t.
Those can leak brand new if the thermo t doesn't have a snug fit into the filter. Just for grins, try a generous coating of vaseline on that lower portion of the t when you insert it.
Quote:
...while trying to start the car the clear part of the fuel line begins to fill with fuel but when you quit turning the engine over the fuel leaks back out of the line to the filter....
So the clear line is the one running from the filter to the pump. Does the fuel seem to just back off into the filter or are there any bubbles that are coming from somewhere perhaps indicating which direction the fuel is moving? On first blush it sounds to me like the check valve (IIRC it is in the fuel sender in the tank) isn't holding.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:41   #8
golstho

going to order a new fuel T and o rings and for extra measure i may replace the fuel lines too.
the clear line is on the supply line from the pump to the filter and the fuel is draining back to the filter and it does have air bubbles in the line as well, but it never really fills all the way up with fuel.
the only way i can get the car to start is to take the T off the filter and fill it with fuel and the car will start.
also if i buy a mighty vac how will i prime the ip? is there a how to on this?

Last edited by golstho; May 5th, 2010 at 17:35.
Old May 4th, 2010, 13:24   #9
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

Hook the mity vac to the small cloth line that goes to the #4 injector (leaving the line hooked to the pump). Leave all other fuel lines in place. Pump on the pump until you get fuel and no bubbles in the line of the tool.

Then you must loosen some hard injector lines while cranking the engine to purge the air out.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 13:37   #10
golstho

thanks runonbeer! will have to get one of those.
the intank valve theat keeps the fuel from leaking back to the tank....is this a part of the sending unit? cus the local dealership's parts department told me the only thing his computer showed in the tank was a fuel sending unit.
Old May 4th, 2010, 18:04   #11
golstho

update. pulled the lines to the fuel sending unit under the seat off. both dripped fuel. i figured that if there is a valve in the unit on the return side to keep fuel from flowing back to the tank then i would not be able to blow in it either.....wrong....both the return side and the feed side i was able to blow through. so is this bad? does this mean i will have to buy a sending unit cus they are expensive from the dealership.

also was able to crank the car and bleed all the air out of the lines at the injectors. would be nice if that fixed the problem but i doubt it....not with my luck!
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:23   #12
Jimmyzw22

Check your engine speed sensor. Hook up vag com check engine module 003 and look at the rpm while cranking. I have had the same problem and was looking at air in pump but it was the engine speed sensor connection. just an idea
Jimmyzw22 is offline   Reply With Quote