www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You



Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2010, 17:03   #1
Sideways240sx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Byron, IL
TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default Particulate filter Icon, Glow plug indicator flashing, check engine light, 2009 tdi

Ummmm. Yea. just hit 34,000 miles on my 2009 tdi. never had 1 issue. did all the oil changes myself, did a fuel filter, @ 10k, and 20k myself. Got off work today, and started the car. I have 3 lights on my dash. The diesel particulate filter, glow plug indicator is flashing, and check engine light is on. The Mfd told me i had a engine malfunction and to go to a garage, and i looked up the particulate filter and it wil me to drive on the highway for 15 minutes in 5th gear above 2k or something. I tried this, and no lights went off...

Anyone have any ideas? Vw is closed now, but tomorrow after work the car is going straight to the dealership.. Im happy i still have a little bit of warranty left.... We shall see.


Thanks, Chris
__________________
2009 White Jetta Tdi. 6spd. 35% tints all the way around. Denison ipd, Bi xenon 6000k Hid housings, Vagcom - Remote windows, Disable Seatbelt Chime.

To do - Get rid of these horrible speakers.
Sideways240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 17:51   #2
elester12
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington DC
TDI(s): 2010 TDI
Default

i noticed in your signature you have "Vagcom" in there. Do you still have access to it? What faults do you have?


Check to see if any of the hoses have come off near the turbo or inter-cooler. I had an issue like the one you're having. Could also be a sensor on the DFP system.
__________________
_________________
2010 Jetta TDI



elester12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 18:39   #3
Sideways240sx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Byron, IL
TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default

I dont own a vag com, i met up with a great guy off this site, and he did the mods for me.

The car idles like normal. Drives like normal,doesn't seem to be anything wrong from what i can tell.. I will take it to the dealer while its under warranty, and then i guess a vag com is in my near future.

Thanks for the help, i will be sure to post up what i find out.
__________________
2009 White Jetta Tdi. 6spd. 35% tints all the way around. Denison ipd, Bi xenon 6000k Hid housings, Vagcom - Remote windows, Disable Seatbelt Chime.

To do - Get rid of these horrible speakers.
Sideways240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 18:47   #4
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member
 
DoctorDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southeastern US
Default

If the diesel particulate filter is flashing, get it towed. If it is solid, probably OK to drive it to dealer.
__________________
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 19:00   #5
Sideways240sx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Byron, IL
TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
If the diesel particulate filter is flashing, get it towed. If it is solid, probably OK to drive it to dealer.
Diesel particulate filter is solid. Glow plug indicator is flashing, and the check engine light is solid.

The thing i dont understand about the diesel particulate filter, is i drive about 70 miles each way, everyday, and only about 10 miles is stop and go. The other 60 miles is highway, so i didn't think i should have a problem with it.


Ps, also looking into buying a vag com right now. hmmm

Chris
__________________
2009 White Jetta Tdi. 6spd. 35% tints all the way around. Denison ipd, Bi xenon 6000k Hid housings, Vagcom - Remote windows, Disable Seatbelt Chime.

To do - Get rid of these horrible speakers.
Sideways240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 19:30   #6
Sideways240sx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Byron, IL
TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
If the diesel particulate filter is flashing, get it towed. If it is solid, probably OK to drive it to dealer.
What is the difference between solid and flashing?
__________________
2009 White Jetta Tdi. 6spd. 35% tints all the way around. Denison ipd, Bi xenon 6000k Hid housings, Vagcom - Remote windows, Disable Seatbelt Chime.

To do - Get rid of these horrible speakers.
Sideways240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 19:34   #7
GoFaster
Moderator at Large
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Default

Solid is supposed to mean a minor fault; the DPF loading is above the specified range. Flashing is supposed to mean it is at a catastrophic level. In this particular case, it will be interesting to see what codes are set.
__________________
Brian P.
formerly ... 2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Spice Red, Unitronics stage 1, 0.681 5th gear.
and before that ... 1996 Passat TDI, Silk Blue
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 20:14   #8
compu_85
Gadget Guy
 
compu_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield VA
Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41
Default

My guess is a sensor related to the DPF has died (DPF failure = dpf light, engine management fault = blinking gp light & MIL)

-J
__________________
Present:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 60,000 miles. Factory Alarm, LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs 38/48 MPG.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 295,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 00:37   #9
Anomie
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
...i drive about 70 miles each way, ... only about 10 miles is stop and go. The other 60 miles is highway, so i didn't think i should have a problem with it.
Along with your regular maintenance, do you also do an Italian tune up?

How fast is your highway driving?

If you're well above the engine and vehicle speeds recommended when the DPF light comes on, you're not fulfilling DPF regen enable criteria. Stop and go driving also fails to meet regen enable criteria.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican18TQA4
I'm pretty sure VW frowns on putting the DSG into Drive while the car is moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright
...there's a good reason, a German reason, and it has to do with driving on the autobahn. I just can't find the article in my bookmarks.
Anomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:46   #10
swedgemon
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ky
TDI(s): 2002 & 2009
Default

I recently had the same set of lights on my 2009 Jetta TDI at 50,000 mi. VAGCOM said it was the Exhaust Gas Temp sensor, but I was on my way to Des Moines with no time to get to a stealer...drove it 1,200 more miles with no problems, took it to a dealer in Louisville and got the EGT replaced ($775). VAGCOM ROCKS...
Swedge
swedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:28   #11
yatzee
Veteran Member
 
yatzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, Qc
TDI(s): see sig
Default

my father has simliar symptoms in his 09 Jetta - they dealer replaced a flap in the exhaust.
__________________
2015 GTI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2004 Jetta Wgn Tdi, 2004 Passat 4mo 1.8t., 91 350sdl, 1984 190e with a BIG inline-6 (not all my cars, but all my problem...
yatzee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 13:48   #12
Sideways240sx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Byron, IL
TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default

Ok guys. Sorry for not getting back on here sooner. The following morning while i was driving to work the glow plug indicactor stopped flashing. Then right after work the particulate filter light went off. Then 5 minutes later while i was on my way to the dealer the check engine light went off.

Ok my commutate daily is about 70 miles. 56 miles is highway, and 14 miles is city you could say. When i get off the highway its usually about 6:30 in the am, and there is no traffic with only 1 stop light and no stop signs between me and my work. Probably under a mile. When i leave my house, or am getting off the highway driving to my house it is about 13 miles. There are 3 stop signs in this 13 miles, so for the most part im moving. On the highway i normally do about 75 mph. I do sometimes do about 80. 75mph is probably about 2400-2500 rpm in 6th gear.(i think)

The only real stop and go driving i do is when i run to stores and stuff, but that is such a small part of the driving i do.

So i took the car to the dealer on tuesday night. They started looking at it today. The service writer called me today, and said they have problems in a sensor that has to do with when it gets hot, and not reading properly(he wasn't very specific) but told me they cant get it to reproduce while idleing at the shop, so they asked for my permission to take it for a drive and data log. I gave them my permission, so they are datalogging now, and then they told me they need to submit the info to VW and see what they say. He is supposed to have another update for me to morrow.

I use the castrol slx 507 00 oil, and filters every 10k. I Did a fuel filter @ 20k, and 30k(with 0 metal in sight).

I would say my car gets an italian tune up every once and a while, when im in the mood, but nothing to crazy. I have a purpose built drag car, i drag race

Oh, i also ordered my vag com last night. Just got my email it shipped. so maybe i will have it this weekend, but at this point im not sure when i will get my car back.

Sorry for such a long post, trying to give everyone all the details. Thanks for your help.

Chris
__________________
2009 White Jetta Tdi. 6spd. 35% tints all the way around. Denison ipd, Bi xenon 6000k Hid housings, Vagcom - Remote windows, Disable Seatbelt Chime.

To do - Get rid of these horrible speakers.
Sideways240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 13:54   #13
Sideways240sx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Byron, IL
TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomie
Along with your regular maintenance, do you also do an Italian tune up?

How fast is your highway driving?

If you're well above the engine and vehicle speeds recommended when the DPF light comes on, you're not fulfilling DPF regen enable criteria. Stop and go driving also fails to meet regen enable criteria.

Is the dpf light suppose to come on? other then this time, in the first 34,000 miles i have never seen it come on.

Thanks, Chris
__________________
2009 White Jetta Tdi. 6spd. 35% tints all the way around. Denison ipd, Bi xenon 6000k Hid housings, Vagcom - Remote windows, Disable Seatbelt Chime.

To do - Get rid of these horrible speakers.
Sideways240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 14:11   #14
Anomie
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
Is the dpf light suppose to come on? other then this time, in the first 34,000 miles i have never seen it come on.

Thanks, Chris
In short, the DPF light should never come on (excluding the cluster test at Key ON).

If you drive in a manner that VW considers normal, then no. To be fair, most of the time I don't. I have city street cruising at 1400 rpm in 4th or 2700 in 6th. All or nothing I suppose. Every once in a while when I cruise a longer road nearby that has a 50mph limit, my cooling fans come on full blast at the stops, indicating DPF regen. I'm not saying this is the only time that regen occurs, but that 50mph road best fits regen enable criteria so that the DPF can stay clean.

For argument's sake, let's just say that a TDI CBEA driver almost never encounter a drive cycle that includes the proper DPF regen enable criteria. Eventually, their DPF will start to get extra stuffy, and this can throw the DPF light. This is to inform them that they need to start finding enable criteria. As it says in the manual, roughly 50mph in 5th for a few miles under light to moderate load (or something to that effect, I forget off hand).

If by some miracle the driver ignores the light, fails to do anything about it, or simply can't meet regen enable criteria, the DPF will continue to soot up until it's so clogged that the DPF will require dealer service, and the car has to be towed there.

From what you've said about your experiences, this was a sudden event, yes? Most likely you're not completely clogged up and the sensor is going faulty. After you get it back, I recommend trying to match enable criteria at least once a month. Just go for a drive and see if your fans kick on full at a stop light, if so then you're in regen, congratulations. Whether or not the dealer finds anything wrong with the sensor, this can be a little preventative maintenance do ensure that the DPF light isn't coming on for the DPF being clogged.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican18TQA4
I'm pretty sure VW frowns on putting the DSG into Drive while the car is moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright
...there's a good reason, a German reason, and it has to do with driving on the autobahn. I just can't find the article in my bookmarks.
Anomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 14:25   #15
Sideways240sx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Byron, IL
TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomie
In short, the DPF light should never come on (excluding the cluster test at Key ON).

If you drive in a manner that VW considers normal, then no. To be fair, most of the time I don't. I have city street cruising at 1400 rpm in 4th or 2700 in 6th. All or nothing I suppose. Every once in a while when I cruise a longer road nearby that has a 50mph limit, my cooling fans come on full blast at the stops, indicating DPF regen. I'm not saying this is the only time that regen occurs, but that 50mph road best fits regen enable criteria so that the DPF can stay clean.

For argument's sake, let's just say that a TDI CBEA driver almost never encounter a drive cycle that includes the proper DPF regen enable criteria. Eventually, their DPF will start to get extra stuffy, and this can throw the DPF light. This is to inform them that they need to start finding enable criteria. As it says in the manual, roughly 50mph in 5th for a few miles under light to moderate load (or something to that effect, I forget off hand).

If by some miracle the driver ignores the light, fails to do anything about it, or simply can't meet regen enable criteria, the DPF will continue to soot up until it's so clogged that the DPF will require dealer service, and the car has to be towed there.

From what you've said about your experiences, this was a sudden event, yes? Most likely you're not completely clogged up and the sensor is going faulty. After you get it back, I recommend trying to match enable criteria at least once a month. Just go for a drive and see if your fans kick on full at a stop light, if so then you're in regen, congratulations. Whether or not the dealer finds anything wrong with the sensor, this can be a little preventative maintenance do ensure that the DPF light isn't coming on for the DPF being clogged.
Thank you. very informative post. This was a all of a sudden thing. My car has regened before. I have heard the fans kick on at full blast, while i pulled up to a stop sign/light.

So are you saying to regen properly i need to do 50 in 5th? Or would my 72-75mph in 6th be just as good?

I am not new to cars, but i am new to diesel. This is my first car. Based on my experiance with this car, will see what the next car is.

I must say so far the car has been great. Hell it still is great, but if i start having lots of expensive sensors go out, i dont know how happy i will be. I have had the car 1 yr, and am just under 35k. So i plan to have 130-150k on the car by the time its paid off. I didn't think this would be a problem, hopefully its not.

Thanks, Chris
__________________
2009 White Jetta Tdi. 6spd. 35% tints all the way around. Denison ipd, Bi xenon 6000k Hid housings, Vagcom - Remote windows, Disable Seatbelt Chime.

To do - Get rid of these horrible speakers.
Sideways240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2014
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2013, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.15504 seconds with 9 queries
[Output: 131.28 Kb. compressed to 109.76 Kb. by saving 21.52 Kb. (16.39%)]