www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 18th, 2011, 17:14   #1156
atc98002
Veteran Member

wxman, always glad to see your straightforward, informative (and factual, document supported) posts. Too bad the people on Autoblog/AutoblogGreen won't pay attention to you.
09 Jetta TDI: got the son-in-law in a VW now
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 17:15   #1157
abctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford_guy View Post
Now at home I see why my work site did not let me see it, you sarcastic xxx
There is a big difference between what that picture shows and what is reasonable.
I maintain that EGR adds more smoke and particles vs. non-egr. That's why the newest tdi's catch that stuff, and then regen/waste fuel to get rid of it.
Thank you EPA.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra, right raxle...waiting for the left boot to fail again

Last edited by abctdi; August 18th, 2011 at 17:18.
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 17:56   #1158
wxman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
wxman, always glad to see your straightforward, informative (and factual, document supported) posts. Too bad the people on Autoblog/AutoblogGreen won't pay attention to you.
act...thanks, and thanks for your support on that site. I've sort of given up, because no matter how many times I refute the comments of the EV weenies on there, the same comments wind up in another blog post about diesels by the same commenters! I noticed the commenter who claimed he was an expert in emissions never responded to my follow-up posts. (Anyone can claim to be anything they want on the internet. That's why I don't bother explaining I've worked in air quality since March 1985, even though I really have; I just support my position with actual published data.)

I think they perceive diesels as threats to their EV-only utopia, and use the usual "there's no such thing as clean diesel" or "clean diesel is an oxymoron" nonsense to try to shame people into not buying any type of diesel vehicles because they pollute *their* air, as if gasoline vehicles, FCV or EVs don't.

Oh and wolfskin, thanks for your kind comment!
wxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 18:36   #1159
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
act...thanks, and thanks for your support on that site. I've sort of given up, because no matter how many times I refute the comments of the EV weenies on there, the same comments wind up in another blog post about diesels by the same commenters! I noticed the commenter who claimed he was an expert in emissions never responded to my follow-up posts. (Anyone can claim to be anything they want on the internet. That's why I don't bother explaining I've worked in air quality since March 1985, even though I really have; I just support my position with actual published data.)

I think they perceive diesels as threats to their EV-only utopia, and use the usual "there's no such thing as clean diesel" or "clean diesel is an oxymoron" nonsense to try to shame people into not buying any type of diesel vehicles because they pollute *their* air, as if gasoline vehicles, FCV or EVs don't.

Oh and wolfskin, thanks for your kind comment!
I guess that's why you joined PriusChat, too.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 18:42   #1160
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I think the solution to the weekend ozone effect is not so much more NOx but (drastically) less VOCs, HC and CO. Otherwise the EPA can let coal/oil/gas powerplants near urban areas simply turn down- or off their NOx scrubbers during weekends. Problem solved.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 19:01   #1161
1998993C2S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mpg..38, 44.5, 36, 37, 38
Default And... back to our normally scheduled programing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
Remind me what this has to do with the 2012 Passat?
The local VW dealership had a few of the new 2012 Passat TDI's on display and the Saturday morning air seemed right to kick a few tires. One TDI was black w/beige interior and the second was silver w/black interior. The Monroney label MSRP $ range for both cars was $32k or so.

The styling of this Passat is B-O-R-I-N-G,,,, and I'm being generous here.
Okay,,, cars aren't the best place to show off a designer’s aesthetic chops. The MY12 Passat brand signature is just plain sophomoric, stupid even and by that I mean the cars look appears to be dumb’d down simple.
The interior is just OK in both the material choices and styling. VW had for awhile been following Audi's direction. Its like the current 2012 VW product lineup is scattered. A mix of High quality vehicles and then low/moderate quaility ones.

I will not be shopping a North American VW store any time soon. The product de-contenting direction NA VW has taken (since MY06) comes to fruition. Adios, Auf Wiedersehen, Volkswagen. I'm just saying...

Last edited by 1998993C2S; August 18th, 2011 at 22:02.
1998993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 20:15   #1162
wxman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
I think the solution to the weekend ozone effect is not so much more NOx but (drastically) less VOCs, HC and CO....
Exactly!
Old August 18th, 2011, 20:19   #1163
wxman
Veteran Member

Don't want to give the impression that I'm against any type of emissions regulations, just regs that are misguided, even by the regulators' own admissions!
Old August 18th, 2011, 20:19   #1164
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Exclamation Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Exactly!

What does all this have to do with the TOPIC?

When I check in here, I am expecting to read about the 2012 Passat.

D
Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta

Last edited by Derrel H Green; August 18th, 2011 at 21:15.
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 22:48   #1165
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

Wow. Apparently the Passat is more decontented here than in China. Check out the LEDs:

http://www.passatchina.com/
Old August 18th, 2011, 23:40   #1166
heykw
Veteran Member

TDI(s): fleet

Ok, so the Feds are idiots. Tell me something I dont know.
01 VW Golf TDI new south gauges 5spd RC5 EGR gone w/ ventectomy, Evo skid plate, south bend stage 3 with 17lb flywheel pp764 17/22 turbo. new struts, bushings and strut bearings. TT lower control arm bushing, polly bushing on rear axel mounts. Elephant crank case vent mod. cat delete, Euro Glass headlight lenses.
heykw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:57   #1167
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
I think the point is to many of us here on this site at least is we want a new replacement that can at least equal the mid 50s mpgUS, easily achieved with a manual trans and 1Z or ALH equipped car......

.......If I am going to have to put out this kind of cash to replace my diesel it needs to at least equal the mid 50s mpgUS in mixed driving of pretty much any manual trans 1z or ALH equipped car.
Yeah, the $30k price of admission to the Pa(US)sat TDI could buy ten 15 year old A3 TDIs, but as far as fuel economy goes, I think this will be giving the ALH 5 speeds a run for the money. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Lug_Nut came over today to see the Passat and take it for a drive.
And of course, mileage expert that he is, after his test drive this is what the display read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
That 51.4 was obtained on a loop that I drove about an hour later in my B5.5. The loop consisted of highway, stop and go, and rural traffic. I was not making any serious attempts at max-MPG, but wanted to get an idea of what I'd get driving that car in my usual mode.
The B5.5's MFA indicated a 36.4 mpg average for that loop. Since I average 36 mpg in that car, I think the traffic and route was a fair equal to what I enounter everyday.
40% better in the '12? That's a big difference to attribute to an optimistic MFA.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:49   #1168
securityguy
Veteran Member

Oxford, I agree. Now how much would it have really added to put LED running lights and LED tails on the US version It makes the car look so much nicer and upscale. The more I give thought to this, the more I want to wait one more year to see how folks respond and buy the 2012. There are just too many open issues for me at this point...the lack of a back-up camera being one when you purchase the NAV option. No BU camera is insane when buying a NAV in todays market.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car but feel that VW will evolve and make a few tweaks to the 2013 that may get me closer to where I want to be. Interesting that Mazda and few others will be introducing diesels here next year which should make things more interesting!
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:55   #1169
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
the lack of a back-up camera being one when you purchase the NAV option. No BU camera is insane when buying a NAV in todays market.

Interesting that Mazda and few others will be introducing diesels here next year which should make things more interesting!
The backup cameras had to be deleted because no one can get the parts necessary to build them. Those plants are still shut down in Japan. It would be great if VW could give you a voucher to have the camera installed once they start shipping again, but that is probably more work then most of the dealer's garages can handle.

As far as the Mazda and GM diesels, I'll believe when I can test drive one.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:02   #1170
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 6.8-7.2 L/100 km Golf 4.8-5.5 L/100 km (summer-winter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
Oxford, I agree. Now how much would it have really added to put LED running lights and LED tails on the US version It makes the car look so much nicer and upscale. The more I give thought to this, the more I want to wait one more year to see how folks respond and buy the 2012. There are just too many open issues for me at this point...the lack of a back-up camera being one when you purchase the NAV option. No BU camera is insane when buying a NAV in todays market.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car but feel that VW will evolve and make a few tweaks to the 2013 that may get me closer to where I want to be. Interesting that Mazda and few others will be introducing diesels here next year which should make things more interesting!
LED tails are a pain in the... tail, in Canada or other snowy areas. In a snowstorm, they get coated in snow, and become nearly invisible, because they don't generate enough heat to melt the snow off. It's actually dangerous. On my B6 Passat I had to install a rear fog to overcome this. The rear fog is incandescent. It generated enough heat to melt the snow off the lens, so I could at least be seen by people approaching from behind.

Of course the solution would be heated lenses... but they you've just added yet another layer of complexity to look "upmarket".
05 Passat TDI
Toys: 79 Beech Sundowner, 12 Cervelo R3 Team Ultegra, '94 Marinoni Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is online now   Reply With Quote