www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old April 18th, 2010, 00:07   #1
brons2
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none
Default I don't love the DSG

Had a chance to drive around a family member's 2010 Golf TDI today. I enjoyed driving the car very much, but I really don't care for the DSG transmission. I found that it was difficult to launch smoothly, shifted too early, and didn't keep the engine in torque band, and caused more turbo lag than necessary.

I found at launch either I was pressing the pedal too little or too much, it was hard to get just right. And then it would just go and run through the gears as fast as it could, and then lug the engine when you transitioned from acceleration to cruising.

When I could anticipate that would need to be speeding up, say after transitioning from one freeway to another over a ramp, when I got to the end of the ramp I would use the paddle shifters to get it down a couple of gears so that it was immediately in the desired powerband.

I tried the S mode, that was a lot smoother but it tended to hold the car in gear until over 3,000 RPM, and would not shift into 6th. Ugh I swear, always too little or too much. If I could reprogram it to shift at 2500 in S mode then it would be about perfect I think.

Oh well. If I get a Golf or a JSW in the future, make mine with manual shift please!
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:32   #2
roy1
Veteran Member

DSG is not everyones cup of tea.
roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:31   #3
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

"Absolutely normal" according to the VW engineers. At least you didn't get the 1-2 banging.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:06   #4
BumbleBeeTJ
Veteran Member

it's a hell of an improvement over a conventional auto i think

shifts are fast and crisp and shifting early=better mpg

and also understand it's a diesel

I honestly like the DSG and I'm a typical stick kinda guy.

VCDS mods for now
BumbleBeeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:20   #5
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

For me, the DSG has its own peculiar and particular characteristics. If one has expectations that is "should" act like so called "normal" slush boxes or manuals, they will probably be disappointed.

Indeed VW has a history of making automatic transmissions that have a higher probability of failure. Case in point, 2003 TDI automatic transmission the "famous" 01 M.

I know that almost all of us have expectations of the MkIV DSG's when they hit 100,000, 200,000, 300,000 miles. I certainly want to know the same for the 2009/2010 Mk V DSG's.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:50   #6
fleuger99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brons2
When I could anticipate that would need to be speeding up, say after transitioning from one freeway to another over a ramp, when I got to the end of the ramp I would use the paddle shifters to get it down a couple of gears so that it was immediately in the desired powerband.
The DSG is a good compromise between a regular automatic and a manual in my opinion.

BTW. what paddle shifters? There aren't any for the JSW.
2006 Jetta GLI
1998 Passat V6
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:01   #7
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeTJ

From what I read, it sounds like the 2005-6 DSGs "feel" better than the 2010s. Diesel or not, it's 2010... the computer programming/function of these things should be more refined before they are sold.

In my opinion, it would be great if these little transmissions actually matched rpm precisely before they engaged clutches, rather than burning each clutch a little with each shift. If you want a "sport" mode, the allow the clutches to engage instantly...
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:05   #8
dieseldorf
top post dawg

I've read 5 or 6 recent reviews of the TDi equipped with the DSG and they all share similar thoughts on it:

Old April 18th, 2010, 08:15   #9
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Thumbs up

Anyone that knows me knows I despise all automatic transmissions .

But when the DSG shifts @ low rpms it is well within the torque bands , if it wasn't the VWAG engineers would never had programed it to shift the way it does if it wasn't . Our engines can be run as low as ~1,100 in high gear without issue depending on load .

A drive in a B5 Passat TDI-PD or any of the slush box or DSG TDIs sold in the last few years connected to a VE , PD or CR will confirm that the VWAG engineers agree . Low rpms in high gear are completely acceptable under light loads .

The CR engine is designed to run in high gear from the ~1,100 to 2,500 rpm range depending on load & speed . Drive any automatic TDI ( rotary injection pump-(VE) , PD or CR ) of any year ever sold here and you will see that our cars are designed to be run in high gear @ very low rpms depending on load from ~1,100 to 2,500 rpms without issue .

On the CR an occasional rev up while going through the gears is a must to keep all that emissions crap functioning properly .

Get into high gear as soon as possible and stay there if conditions allow . This isn't lugging and is the most efficient way to drive any TDI of any year or design .
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:44   #10
StewartinND

I'm really enjoying the dsg transmission. I originally wanted a manual jsw tdi however I found the pedal position of the clutch did not work for me. I still have my pair of MG's to keep my left foot well exercised. It took a little bit of time to learn how to drive it smoothly but now I would absolutely hate to go back to a slush box.
StewartinND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 19:25   #11
timwagon
Veteran Member

I took a pass on DSG for my 2010 JSW TDI because of the so-so road test reviews and previous VW recalls.

I also read that there's a very expensive fliud change required at 40k, which just happens to be 4k past the 3/36 free maintenance period.
timwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 19:43   #12
BKJSWTDIDSG10

Dealer told me that the software revsion for the DSG would be available in spring. Maybe it will take care of the 1-2 punch and also not shift into first while trying to drive anywhere below 10 MPH. Also the DSG will not let me shift out of 1st until the speed is above 10 MPH. I will also check the RPMs because it's about the revs after all.
BKJSWTDIDSG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 19:57   #13
brons2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro
"Absolutely normal" according to the VW engineers. At least you didn't get the 1-2 banging.
The 1-2 banging?? 1-2 shifts were as smooth as silk in her car. Should I warn her about 1-2 banging?
Old April 18th, 2010, 20:02   #14
brons2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeTJ
it's a hell of an improvement over a conventional auto i think

shifts are fast and crisp and shifting early=better mpg

That's interesting. The whole experience left me pining for a conventional automatic. Although I would always go for the manual if it was available anyways.

Maybe I would get used to the DSG over time, dunno. For whatever reason I felt me and the DSG had a major disconnect. Too bad because the 2.0 CRD TDI is a wonderful, wonderful pleasure to drive. And the Golf's driving dynamics reminded me of some of the BMW's I have driven in the past. Nothing like the Rabbits I kicked around in high school back in the 80s. Great car.
Old April 18th, 2010, 20:09   #15
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwagon
I took a pass on DSG for my 2010 JSW TDI because of the so-so road test reviews and previous VW recalls.

I also read that there's a very expensive fliud change required at 40k, which just happens to be 4k past the 3/36 free maintenance period.
is there no way to insist upon the fluid change at, say, 30 or 35k?

what is this fluid change, specifically - DSG tranny fluid?