• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

Rothenbacher Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Hey Folks - Does anyone know of a direct email address for Peter, the owner of Rothenbacher Engineering (proethe on eBay)? He also owns the following:

volkswaparts.com
emiata.com
dieselvw.com
dieselvw-canada.com

I bought a new turbo for my Jetta. After installation it proved to be faulty. So, I can return it for a refund, but what about all the labor I had to pay to install and uninstall it? I'm out a bunch of money because of this. I would really appreciate any info. Thanks.
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Is there an ouch somewhere. Ihope you get service.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Ouch is right

I found an email address and sent him a message asking for a refund plus that I can keep the turbo I bought for parts. We'll see what he says. His eBay feedback was quite good, but, yes, I should have Googled him first.
Lesson learned: Don't try to save a few hundred bucks on a part that requires a lot of labor to install/uninstall. Thanks for the responses. Peace...

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
Junior Whitefish said:
Hey Folks - Does anyone know of a direct email address for Peter, the owner of Rothenbacher Engineering (proethe on eBay)?
He is the registered owner of those domains, and has not used an anonymizing domain registration service, so his name, address, and phone are a matter of public record. I won't post it here, but you can view it by visiting the following page and scrolling down a bit:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/VOLKSWAPARTS.COM

Look for the 'Registrant' or 'Administrative contact' sections.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
If you are pissed at him then contact VWOA and make them aware of his website address. They will shut him down his bunk website addresses and make it harder for him to lure good money out of people's pockets for crap parts.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Fortunately you've learned your lesson, that generally you get what you pay for. What's amazing is that he still sells parts on a very big scale. I guess the thing is if he wasn't selling cheapo stuff someone else would be in his shoes doing the very same thing and trust me I'm not defending anyone just trying to be subjective.

vwdiesel.net do a search there and see what kind of info pops up. :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
His 1Z crank sprocket is listed at $8, made in China.
I bought mine from another, more well liked vendor of parts, cost: $40, SURPRISE! also made in China.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
why would you want his junk turbo for parts? reimbursement for incidental expenses and damages is worlds apart from asking to keep the junk product, and probably weakens your argument substantially. Just out of curiosity, what did labor honestly cost you, how did it fail, what damage did it cause, and how can you quantify your injury financially?

Last edited:

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
Lug_Nut said:
I bought mine from another, more well liked vendor of parts, cost: $40, SURPRISE! also made in China.
Yeah, but will they still be around to replace it if it fails?

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Lug_Nut said:
I noticed that. A bilstein product made in China is still far superior to the offbrand garbage that Prothe sells.

PROTHE IS A SCAM ARTIST. The terribly quality of his goods has been covered so many times here.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The few times he's posted here, he seems very proud of his BBB rating & ebay feedback. Perhaps file some complaints - I bet he will work quickly to resolve the issue after that.

This works better than you may think. I went around and around with verizon wireless for MONTHS to get a refund. Only after I filed a BBB complaint did they quickly & efficiently cut me a refund for the full amount I was owed.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
validius said:
I noticed that. A bilstein product made in China is still far superior to the offbrand garbage that Prothe sells.
Not Bilstein, but Febi. Febi is not the same as Febi-Bilstein. Chinese Bosch is lower quality than German Bosch, Chinese Hella is not the same as German Hella.
But still, considering that the "Germany - EHT" with VW-circle logo crank sprocket failed, how much worse can the Febi be?, or for that matter, how much worse would someone else's be?
If my new one fails and I trash the head, whether I get $8 back or $40 back is diddly.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Lug_Nut said:
Not Bilstein, but Febi. Febi is not the same as Febi-Bilstein.
I installed a Febi fuel primer pump on my Benz, it was made in India. It leaked profusely and was unusable. Replaced with German Bosch unit. Lesson learned.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Febi is kinda hit or miss on quality, and it seems their production is somewhat global. I get rubber bits that have in the mold "Germany" inside of boxes labeled "Taiwan".

I have used Febi cylinder head bolts without troubles for years, in boxes that say "Febi-Germany" and are full of German wording on the label, and then have an extra "made in Taiwan" sticker affixed.

I get tie rods that are Febi boxed, that are enclosed in a bag inside that says "made in Spain" and MOOG tie rods for the same car in a MOOG box, and you open them up and the same part, with the same Spanish label, is inside.

I put a set of brand new IDI Bosch injectors in a 300D, and they were made in India. They seemed to work OK.

I often use Veico brand plastic water necks for Volkswagens, and they have VAG part numbers on them, with the "VW-Audi" logos ground off, and some are made in China and some are made in Mexico. There are many OE replacement bits you buy from Volkswagen dealers, such as AMP connector shells, that are made in China. But you buy that same water neck from Volkswagen, it is German.

I use genuine Volkswagen power window regulators, usually made in Germany by Brose, to replace the Brose ones from Mexico or Brazil that broke. But last week, the dealer was out of the one I needed, so I tried a Pimax brand regulator that was made in Italy.... it fit like CRAP. And it was a major PITA to install and get set correctly. It was not worth the half price, IMHO.

I buy new balancers for AHU engines from Worldpac, they come in a Reinz branded box, and are an OE part inside, VW/Audi logo and all, made in Germany. Buy a balancer for a Hyundai engine from Worldpac, it is Dorman and made in China and will fly apart before the next oil change, guaranteed. :rolleyes:

I can buy Aisin water pumps for Toyotas, that are identical to OE Toyota parts you get from the dealer, except the word "TOYOTA" has been carefully machined off the casting. But if you buy an AC-Delco brand water pump for a GM product, it is a Chinese POS that may or may not leak as soon as you put coolant in the engine.

It is really tough anymore to know what is good and what is bad, and you almost have to experience what works, what fits, what functions, and what doesn't.

Last edited:

northwestapp

TDI
Jetta VW TDI 2005
Help please

Have replaced turbo.

I would like to ask help from anyone with any new idea for my car!

I own a 2005 VW Passat TDI with 63080 miles on it. I have not been able to drive it for almost 7 months. I have tried two mechanics one of which was a certified VW mechanic and the other my father decided to try after we got it back after the butt kicking charge of $1350 for nothing.

Here is a list of what had been done at the mechanics...
(I am the wife posting because when I bring this issue up know my husband literally loses hair in front of me.... PLEASE HELP ME) I will share any ideas with him after I get any response!

Here is the break down. The problems started last summer when I was driving it began to not have power. If you shut it off it was fine for a bit. I report the issues and my hubby thought it was just an incident. As it ended up he took it on a job and the turbo blow up. He then replaced the turbo (himself.. his a pretty good mechanic). That turbo was an aftermarket rebuild which was then blown up and the company sent another.

Once this was installed the car still had "limp mode" traits as before. We then took it to the VW mechanic here is what was on their service description:

Run diagnosis using scan test tool 5051 to read computer and print out fault codes for application: Notes 4 fault codes, 16683 turbo charger under boost, 16486 mass air flow circuit low input, 16485 mas air flow circuit range/performance, 16515 O2 sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 1 low voltage.
Tested air mass sensor & O2 sensor functions, ok..
Replaced air mass sensor, no changed.. removed new air mass sensor reinstalled original sensor.
removed intake hose on turbo to check turbo spin, OK
Removed & Checked all intake hoses, intercooler hoses & checked inter cooler for blockage, OK.
Removed throttle body & EGR valve to check for blockage in intake system, no blockage found, cleaned & reinstalled parts.
Bypass turbo regulation valve check turbo output, still low
Removed intake manifold inspect for blockage in manifold, ok. Cleaned & reinstalled. Also with intake manifold removed... removed exhaust from turbo to inspect catalytic convertor for blockage, OK.
Install exhaust back pressure gauge check exhaust system for restriction, OK.
Replaced intake MAP sensor in intake hose, place turbo regulation valve solenoid, No change.
Install fuel pressure gauge check high pressure pump, fuel pressure normal.
Replaced fuel filter.

Checked turbo was gate diaphragm with vacuum, diaphragm moves ok.
Diaphragm are adjustment does not appear to move waste gate properly.
Disabled the diaphragm so waste gate is closed all the time. Turbo boost pressure goes to pull boost & engine has good power & acceleration.

Notes: The turbo/waste gate are not set up properly waste gate does not close all the way, turbo cannot attain proper boost. Needs turbo replaced or possible remove the turbo and attempt to adjust the waste gate to function properly.

The mechanic then called the technician from ROTHENBACHER ENGEERING (DEWIGHT). They preformed all the adjustments he suggested to the waste gate actuating shaft. The power and charger under boost then goes into Limp mode. The power & turbo boost did improve but still sets the code 16683 turbo charger under boost then goes into limp mode.

After the mechanic made all of the adjustments and test drove the code still being set. Dewight from Rothenbacher said it was another bad turbo and suggested it be removed and sent back for testing. My husband didn't agree... he had spoke with this guy and the man said he was "pressured" into saying it was the turbo from the mechanics and thought it must be something else.

Needless to say... My LONG story is... not fixed. The next mechanic looked at all of the same things. All of the hoses where replaced in case there was a leakage not seen in the vacuums.

I know I am not a mechanic nor have any clue on this but can someone give me an idea of what to suggest for my husband to do or try?

I am paying for a car still and need to either fix it to sell it or try to get money out of it for parts to pay it off?

Help please!

Kelly

northwestapp

TDI
Jetta VW TDI 2005
This guy (proethe, prothe, etc.) has a really bad reputation for selling JUNK. He goes by lots of names. He keeps changing his company name as his reputation gets worse. He sells cheap China knockoff parts

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=278501

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207007

Rothenbacher Engineering is apparently his latest name. Good luck getting your money back. In the future, buy your parts from reputable sellers.

Don
I wish I would have read this before we went through two turbos and now on a third which does not work apparently.

I think I will share my new found information with anyone with a pulse!

Best of Luck

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Physical Address:

Pete Rothenbacher
Rothenbacher Engineering
5005 Smith Farm Rd.
Matthews, NC 28104
This is southesast of Charlotte, NC, USA. I do not have a walk-in store.
Phone Number: 1.704.684.1235

Calling Darkscout....

Last edited:

northwestapp

TDI
Jetta VW TDI 2005
Physical Address:

Pete Rothenbacher
Rothenbacher Engineering
5005 Smith Farm Rd.
Matthews, NC 28104
This is southesast of Charlotte, NC, USA. I do not have a walk-in store.
Phone Number: 1.704.684.1235

Calling Darkhorse....

Thank you! I will be making a point of this information to as many of my friends and BBB as possible!

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I wish I would have read this before we went through two turbos and now on a third which does not work apparently.

I think I will share my new found information with anyone with a pulse!

Best of Luck

Kelly:

I am making the following assumptions from your prior, longer posting that there are no "trusted tdi mechanics" in your area. Blindly "hanging" parts on a car is not a good way to fix it --- which seems to be most of your problem with the general mechanics in your area.

Inorder to diagnose the problem yourself (and assuming that you or your husband feels comfortable attempting too tackle it), you really need to have your own vcds cable. They run $249ish from Ross-Tech for your 2000 model year tdi. You can also buy a Ross-tech license instead for $99 and run an ebay cable (if you want a cable that will work PM me your mailing address and I will mail you one free).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=224167&highlight=ebay+cable

With VCDS in hand, you need to diagnose limp mode for your model A4. There is a stickie on howto do it in the mk4 section.

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-8.html

That said and even before doing the above, I am assuming from your prior post that you have a Prothe Turbo --- and that needs to get off your car before a disaster turns into a biblical catastrophe. I think you need to find a used VNT 15 turbo that is known to work. You probably can get one cheap in the classified section on this thread by advertising the need for one. They seem available and working as people are usually upgrading their vnt 15s.

Don't panic, it can be fixed ......

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I hate to say it but DOG above is correct. You won't find a good enough turbo from that piece of crap vender you have gotten your parts from so far. He is a waste on this earth. Through that thing in the trash, take the hit on it and find a good used turbo. There is a lot of people upgrading to larger turbos from GOOD venders and they sell there old ones for almost free. Even if you could fix that crap on your car (the turbo) it would likely blow up latter and possibly run your engine.

Where in MT are you. I live near MT and actually work in MT.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
They run $249ish from Ross-Tech for your 2000 model year tdi.
I own a 2005 VW Passat TDI with 63080 miles on it.
2005 Passat... I'm afraid you have even more problems ahead...

The 2004/5 Passats have a design flaw with the balance shaft and oil pump module... Not a cheap repair, and best combined with a timing belt replacement, another not-cheap maintenance item. Even more important is finding someone who is able to properly perform this!!!

Please read: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=295039

Hopefully someone can chime in with some advice as to who can work on your car - unless your husband cares to study up on this and become his own Guru - not a bad choice, given your location... (speaking of which, please narrow down your locale a bit...)

All the best,

Yuri

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
2005 Passat... I'm afraid you have even more problems ahead...

The 2004/5 Passats have a design flaw with the balance shaft and oil pump module... Not a cheap repair, and best combined with a timing belt replacement, another not-cheap maintenance item. Even more important is finding someone who is able to properly perform this!!!

Please read: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=295039

Hopefully someone can chime in with some advice as to who can work on your car - unless your husband cares to study up on this and become his own Guru - not a bad choice, given your location... (speaking of which, please narrow down your locale a bit...)

All the best,

Yuri
oops ...... I saw 2000, my bad :eek:.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
You know, one of these days prothe is going to scam the wrong person and it's not going to be pretty for him. Actually, I can't believe nobody has tried to hang him yet by the way he runs his business.

Status
Not open for further replies.