www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 15th, 2010, 16:29   #1
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Default 1982 Vanagon Westfalia AHU build

Well we're at it again, this project is a colaboration between myself and my Father. I have been looking at Westys for a while with the intent of a conversion. One poped up on thesamba for sale in Albuquerque, NM so my Dad and I hoped in the truck with the car hauler for a weekend roadtrip. Two days later we arrived back with the Vanagon to start collecting parts.

Our goals are to have the mechanical portion of it completed before July 4th week as my Wife's family has a reunion planned for that week and it will be in Yellowstone. Some may be saying how did he get his wife to sign off on another conversion, but I have to say that this one was her idea. She was up with our son and I woke up with her saying we should get "that diesel camper". I didn't argue and set about getting the owner contacted and travel arrangements made.

The Westy was originally a 1.6 na diesel westy that the original owner recently converted to an A2 1.8L CIS gasser. The bell-housing, motor mounts, and input shaft are all diesel specific. I did find out that the owner took the original trans out and swapped the ABD gasser transmission into it. That is ok though because I have a DK trans in one of my other Vanagons that is now my parts van. Thanks to Andy with all the documentation of the transmissions and their codes I'm a lot more educated now. The Dk trans has the lowest (numeric) gear ratio and I just ordered new 3rd and 4th gears to gear it better.

The gear ratios are as follows:
final drive 4.57:1
1st (stock) 3.78
2nd (stock) 2.06
3rd (weddle) 1.14
4th (weddle) 0.70

I ordered the gears yesterday and will be pulling the DK transmission this weekend from my old Van. I'll be using these tools to rebuild (as of a week ago I didn't realize I had them).

With 215/75R15 tires that should put my rpms at 65mph at around 2650+-100 rpms.

The engine is going to be pretty straight forward using an AHU for the platform. Some Bosio pp520 or 502 nozzles (whichever is larger), 11mm ALH injection pump, K03/04 Hybrid turbo and a 2.5" exhaust. It'll be Mikel tuned for sure with a maf and egr delete.

We'll probably do something like rsxsr did with his with some custom motor mounts to reduce vibration. We'll have to do a custom left motormount too for turbo clearance.

The body of the westy isn't in the best condition with some rust, but we'll deal with that when it comes.

I'd like to Thank Andybees, rsxsr, pdxpaulie, and all the other threads I have gleened information and inspiration from. Should be fun. Jon
Old April 15th, 2010, 17:55   #2
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Jon, wow!

I sure could have used those tools during my Tranny rebuild. I had the T-14 for removing the big/little nut on the main shaft. My uncle had a 'tailor' made tool to remove the adjusting rings on each of the tranny. Shifting fork positioning was by punch marks upon removal. I've done that numerous times in the past with no problems.

Keep us abreast of your progress!
Old April 15th, 2010, 20:23   #3
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Thanks Andy, I do have another question about the rebuild. I have the VW manual for the 3 rib (002 I think) with all the measurements, I couldn't find a manual for the 091 side shift transmission. Are the measurements the same? I think I'll still mark the shift mechanisms before disassembling it then double check them.
Old April 15th, 2010, 21:41   #4
tothemax
Veteran Member

Congrads jjordan11 what a great project... I have been dreaming of doing a project like this for use when I retire so I can hit the road in style...

Pls post some progress photos and share what you learn.

Good luck
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 22:17   #5
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

I've been wondering about a similar project. Great idea! Initially, 2650 RPM at 65 mpg sounds like a high rotational rate tome. Am I missing something? Agreeably, my Jetta will not need so much power or torque at 65 mph, but it's only reving about 2000 RPM. Looking forward to some pics.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:37   #6
AndyBees
Veteran Member

According to my GPS (speed) and ScanGuage (RPM), my stock 2000 Jetta TDI is cranking about 2350-2375 RPMs at 65 MPH.

In his conversion tranny, Jon is going with the .70 4th which will bring the RPMs down to about 2650 with the 4.57 R&P using the 205/75/15 tires. If there are issues with bogging on long and/or steep hills or EGTs tend to rise, he can go with 14 inch tires and raise the RPM about 300. So, he's right in the ball park with the tranny aspect of the project.

In my conversion tranny project (TDI in a '84 Vanagon), I went with the .77 4th gear, 4.57 R&P and the same tire size which will yeild about 2840 RPMs at 65 MPH.

The same tranny (Vanagon) stock, the RPMs would be about 3400-3500 at 65 MPH ......... big difference!
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:48   #7
jjordan11
Veteran Member

With the gearing it's actually the lowest (numerical) ratio that I could get in it. There may be aftermarked ring and pinions that would lower the ratios lower than the 4.57, but I'd suspect they would be pretty expensive. With the engine turning a little faster it puts less strain on the engines with a load.

I should get some work done on it tomorrow, I'll take some good before photos of everything. Rsxsr, do you have any detailed pictures of your left motor mount? I can kind of see it on Andy's site and some on thesamba.

Jon
Old April 16th, 2010, 18:42   #8
energy

You can buy that motor mount, beautifully made, at greaseworks.com:

http://www.greaseworks.com/store/pro...roducts_id=299

They have other tdi vanagon stuff specific to your application. I drive a tdi vanagon and have bought parts from them, they are good peeps.
energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 21:15   #9
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Default progress

Alright so I thought I would post some pictures. It definitely isn't the most pretty body wise, but with time that will change. Right now we're going to focus on making mechanically sound. Here is a picture of it how it sits.

As you can see it's not much to look at and has some cancer. The previous owner had a bra put on the front in Florida, yet another reason I dis-like bras. The floorboards are Flintstone style in some areas, so we'll have to fix that.

One positive thing about the Van is the interior. It's in pretty good shape and has been re-upholstered for the most part. Everything works in the inside including the propane refrigerator.

I got the gas motor out and took off the oil pan, motor mounts, and bell-housing from it.

Gas motor lump:

Pulling motor:

Out:

Transmission's drain plug (Metal Mohawk Sorry for the blurry photo):

We got most of the parts ordered for it and I'll be working on it in the mornings. Our next major work day will be May 1st. Looking forward to it already.

Jon
Old April 19th, 2010, 18:29   #10
jjordan11
Veteran Member

I received the gears from Weddle, but they sent me a .77 4th gear so I'll have to give them a call tomorrow. That's ok though, I still haven't pulled the trans from the donor van yet and in my haste to get the gears ordered I didn't order the gasket kit and seals for it. I'll update later.

Jon
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:46   #11
phatcyclist
Veteran Member

A gentleman I know is doing this swap, although his is going to be a stock power level AHU.
phatcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 19:45   #12
jjordan11
Veteran Member

It will be quite a bit better than the wasserboxer or the original diesel. I just don't know how to keep them at stock levels. I'd be willing to bet that with larger nozzles, turbo, intercooler, and the chip it would get better mileage though and not stress the motor as much.

I spoke with Weddle today and they are going to send me the .70 4th gear. I also ordered the gaskets, seals, and o-rings for the trans rebuild. I decided to go with the oem gaskets and the like, the aftermarket stuff is probably better, but the oem was convenient and not too badly priced. The weddle gears are pretty cool, the syncro hub is detachable from the main gear, so if it gets damaged it could be replaced w/o the main gear.

I hope to pull the donor engine tomorrow, we'll see. I don't really have the time, but it needs to come out sooner than later.
Old April 20th, 2010, 20:21   #13
AThreeTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/39

Good to see another part of my 98 jetta that was totaled will be living on as the engine wire harness will be helping bring this conversion to life!
AThreeTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:22   #14
914rrr

I've been thinking about a Vanagon TDI conversion with mods like jjordan11's. What kind of MPG's do you guys see or expect with a set up like this? Any chance it could be done with an automatic tranny?

I would agree that the performance mods would come in handy on a Vanagon, especially a Westy.
914rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:48   #15
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Automatic TDI in Vanagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914rrr
I've been thinking about a Vanagon TDI conversion with mods like jjordan11's. What kind of MPG's do you guys see or expect with a set up like this? Any chance it could be done with an automatic tranny?

I would agree that the performance mods would come in handy on a Vanagon, especially a Westy.
Good to hear someone is thinking about a TDI bolt up to an automatic tranny in a Vanagon.

I've given it some thought as a project after I finish the one I am on now. The auto tranny has a 4:1 ring and pinion. However, the torque converter does not have he lock-up feature. I've not researched or posed the question anywhere as to the availability of upgraded torque converters or the possibility of retro-fit with the lock-up feature.

Maybe someone has already been down this road and can provide some good info! ......... the wifey would love it if I could do a TDI conversion with an auto tranny!