www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old April 14th, 2010, 01:33   #1
pmkg

Default Auto to Manual Swap

Ok so we are getting ready to do a auto to manual swap. Have Two complete Cars. 2000 tdi golf auto, and 2000 jetta 5 speed. The auto is a one owner and has been babied all it's life 187,000 mi No slipping and working great. The 5 speed is working good 318,000 mi. I know your going to say don't put the auto back in but my 15 teen year old daughter is learning to drive and does not want to start out with a stick.

My question is I see all kinds of info on going Auto to Manual but How about Going Manual to Auto? ie: does the car getting the manual still need the TCU? does the wiring harness in orginal manual have a connector for TCU?
Any other Info greatly appreaciated.
pmkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 22:33   #2
John96895
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg

Not sure I understand about putting the "auto back in", but, that being said, why go through all the hassle with swapping two high-mileage transmissions? (Much easier swapping the daughter into the Golf, and calling it a day!)
John96895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 00:20   #3
pmkg

Maybe easier but the guy that owns the Golf bought it new and he knows his car inside and out. The jetta has some idle issues needs injection pump did the hammer mod idles a little better but still rough. Runs great at anything over 1500 rpm Plus the jetta has double the miles on it.

Anyway the swap is the way it's going to go so just had these couple of questions.
pmkg is offline   Reply With Quote