www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old April 7th, 2010, 17:58   #1
yhmtdi

TDI(s): '01 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: ~5.6l/100km
Default Cannot shift into 5th gear

***Update*** See end of thread

Had a wierd problem come up suddenly yesterday. I cannot get the transmission into 5th. Gears 1 to 4 work fine, but not 5th. Can't seem to move the shift lever past the 3-4 gate. Popped the shifter boot off inside to see if there was anything binding in there, but nothing obvious. Tried it by hand under the hood, and can pull the relay lever up a little bit, but can't get engage it. It's like the clutch gear is stuck on something.

Anyone ever had a problem like this? Any suggestions? I'm guessing the transmission will need to be opened to fix it, so may as well look for another one, and just change it out. Anyone have one they're will to part with for a reasonable price?

Oh, btw, car is a 2001 Golf, 264,000km. I've had it since 144,000km, so I don't know what might have happened to it before then. The shifter has never seemed as smooth as the one on my '90 GTI, or '82 Jetta, but I just figured it was because of the cable shifter linkage.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by yhmtdi; April 10th, 2010 at 12:29.
yhmtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 19:11   #2
Sebpt
Veteran Member

I would suggest to take the transmission cover off and see if your synchro engages on the 5th gear splines. Have someone in the car while you are checking it. VW trannies are usually very reliable...You may have something broken, no need to replace the transmission if just a part and tranny oil

My 2 cents suggestion before spending a lot of $$'s
Sebpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 20:22   #3
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebpt
VW trannies are usually very reliable...
have you seen all the threads with people having issues with shifting/engaging a gear. i've noticed, cuz i'm one of the ppl having problems so i searched the forum. so very far from reliable

98 Civic 5 spd VSM H&R coilovers 16" Gram Light 57C 4 wheel disk ITR 22mm RSB SiR 26 mm FSB SS304 manifold TD04L turbo Hondata ECU RC 440cc Holley 255lph Greddy Sparco Monza B&M OEM lip

93 Saturn SW2 5 spd OEM fogs Sprint 2.0 / KYB 18" forged Fast 4 wheel disk SPS intake & SS header mk3 front lip ACCMats carpet
bbarbulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 22:32   #4
yhmtdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebpt
I would suggest to take the transmission cover off and see if your synchro engages on the 5th gear splines. Have someone in the car while you are checking it.
To which cover are you referring? I noticed that the Bentley manual does not cover transmission disassembly anymore (the older manuals did). Are there any pictorial guides for transmission disassembly?

Thanks,

Mark
Old April 7th, 2010, 23:45   #5
blizzak
Veteran Member

Dieselgeek has an adjustment video that might help you, supposed to return everything to normal:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=259787

Hope this helps.

2004 Grey TDI Sport Edition | 270,000 km | Grey | 6 speed ERF transmission with upgraded shifter fork & LSD | R32 18 Aristos | PP Downpipe, 2.5 SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, rest of mods in profile
Whitedog's no start thread - very useful!
blizzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:36   #6
kack
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/48/43

Try the above posts adjustment techinque I have helped many people with shifting issues using that.

I figure its due to the plastic end connectors vs the metal cables

04 Forester STi
90 Legacy RS-RA
no tdi for now
kack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 14:27   #7
yhmtdi

Thanks for your responses. I will try the linkage adjustment as per the video - very good how to, btw.

But I'm not sure if that will do it, because I can't even find 5th to shift into when I do it by hand under the hood on the lever on the transmission. I can get reverse, and 1..4, but can't pull it up to get 5th.

Are there any other manual transmission videos around? - disassembly, removal & install, etc. would be helpful in diagnosing and fixing the problem.

Thanks,

Mark
Old April 8th, 2010, 15:18   #8
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Check the transmission fluid level... Historically, VW transmissions "lose" 5th gear first due to lack of lubrication... If that doesn't get fixed, you'll lose the rest of the gears...

Yuri
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 15:29   #9
BleachedBora

x2 on Yuri's statement. I just sold my 3rd transmission since Friday, a very common failure is 5th going out, usually from low fluid.
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 15:35   #10
VDUB TECH

Fuel Economy: 800-900km

especially commuter cars that are in 5th most of the time.
VDUB TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 15:53   #11
yhmtdi

Thanks, I was planning to check the oil level too, although there have been no noticable leaks, except a little wetness around the drive flange seals. But I haven't had a VW yet (this is my 5th VW) that didn't have some seepage there, and have never had a problem with 5th.

Mark
Old April 8th, 2010, 17:32   #12
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Highest 61.9 Mpg (2003 tdi) Highest 60.1 Mpg (2011)

How do you check the oil on a 5spd???
11 Jetta TDI Highline - 6mt - Candy White - Malone Stage 2 - Full Rawtek 3inch Stainless Exhaust - Apr Airbox - SG II - Krown`d - Aqualpel`d - Hitch - Tint - TPMS Enabled - TSC button - Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Damper - Chopped off shifter - Plasti dipped (rims,grill,window trim) - Custom w/b emblem - Full LED Swap - RS Wheel Controls - Best MPG: 60.1...1st 900mile club member
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 17:35   #13
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69
How do you check the oil on a 5spd???
On the 02J trans, there is a 17mm plug on the side of the trans that you take out and the level should be near or at that plug level. It holds 1.9 liter or so.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:33   #14
VDUB TECH

Fuel Economy: 800-900km

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888
On the 02J trans, there is a 17mm plug on the side of the trans that you take out and the level should be near or at that plug level. It holds 1.9 liter or so.

wrong, the proper fluid level will actually cover the 17mm hole.your thinking mk3.
VDUB TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:38   #15
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDUB TECH
wrong, the proper fluid level will actually cover the 17mm hole.your thinking mk3.
Well, that is how we just filled our 2001 Jetta, from the side-located 17 mm plug hole. Am I wrong (MKIV), and if so, tell me the correct procedure please.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote